Dry panning for Gemstones?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quality metal sieves are the go if you are going to get into it a bit, sometimes there is a fair bit of clay and grating lumps of it on the sieves breaks it up pretty quickly, don't want to throw out gemsd with clay. Just be careful of broken glass when washing and grating in the sieves with you hand.

I agree with Heatho about using metal sieves to break up the clay. Got my set from Aussie Disposals for around $55, 1/4" and 1/8" aluminum stackable sieves.

If you really want to use sieves for dry sieving gemstones you could use a shaker stand to hold your sieves at a comfortable height. They do that in north Qld. :)

It is a reo rod pushed into the ground/gravel/sand with a pair of bent bars resting on top to hold your sieve while you shake it. :)

Those shaker stands can certainly save your back if you have to sieve a few tons of gravel on the QLD Sapphire fields, or the O'briens Topaz fields.....can vouch for that :eek:

Cheers Wal.

1382430846_shaker.jpg

If you cannot make one you can pick one up in the gemfields of Qld or from a manufacturer/rock shop on the edge of Inverell (sorry lost details)

Sure looks good, I can see why you said it would save your back. All the hard yards are done standing straight up. I like it. Thanks Wal.

Heatho said:
Quality metal sieves are the go if you are going to get into it a bit, sometimes there is a fair bit of clay and grating lumps of it on the sieves breaks it up pretty quickly, don't want to throw out gemsd with clay. Just be careful of broken glass when washing and grating in the sieves with you hand.
A good pair of riggers gloves (leather) are extremely handy, but any gloves will do. After swinging a pick or breaking up clay etc for a while hands can take a hell of a beating, and you will soon pull up if your hands get sore and blistered. Can be very discouraging.

Hi Guys, I know that this is a very old thread, but does anyone know where I can purchase a shaker stand as previously mentioned?
Regards
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle said:
Hi Guys, I know that this is a very old thread, but does anyone know where I can purchase a shaker stand as previously mentioned?
Regards
Bullwinkle
some places at the gem fields qld still make and sell them if not quicker to make one would only take a hour or so if your handy

Latest posts