Coil building expertise?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G`day all, i would prefer if there is someone from South Australia that could help me out here, but will discuss with anyone within Australia, by p.m only. I have an idea for a coil design that is " outside the square " meaning: have never heard or seen such a design anywhere to this day. I have contacted 3-4 different experts, and only one responded, (the silence is deafening), so the idea is either legit and i have just given someone a ripper of an idea, or it's a total flop, i believe it is the former, (but could be wrong!). The biggest problem i see ( with giving out idea's, is trust), i can throw this idea out to you, and you can tell me it won't work, knowing full well that it probably will, so can anyone think of a way around this?, anyways; so if you have these skills, feel free to contact me by p.m or email, and the one's i have contacted, you know who u are, i'm pretty sure most of u visit this forum fairly regularly, so please respond if u like, i am waiting for a response?

Contact SteelPat (Pat) at SteelPhase, site sponsor and developed the SP01 signal enhancer. Definitely worth your while to discuss with Pat or even Nenad at Phase technical (again, site sponsor) given the name SteelPhase is a combination of both Pat and Nenad.

If you believe the idea is good...then back yourself and protect it....go see a patent attorney and get some advice...thats if your looking to make money out of it.

An eample of why......Bob Holland from Geraldton made coils waaaayyy back in the day...he made flat wound monos...yep.20-30 years ago.....now the "new technology" is being spruked and other people make the money.

Just a thought.

Thanx for your replies, i'm not sure there is a lot of money to be made from coils?, i was thinking to get someone to make some for me, and then clean up the goldfields myself, i have a couple of p.m's so will see where this will lead?
And i do know of at least one book that has most of the info needed to make one myself, so if it comes to that, that's where i might go!
It first has to be established if this will work technically, as i know there are certain tolerances that must be met, when building coils, so will we see!

Once you tell some one your idea it's all over red rover ,it's out in the ether for all to copy.
Talk to the people you've told and ask for complete confidentiality .
If it as you say a brilliant concept seek legal advice

A Deed really isn't sufficient in this case, they are more orientated around a business model or property.

Write up a letter containing details of your coil design then mail it along with a signed stat dec that refers to this letter of design, make sure the letter of design is also dated. Then mail both documents in the one envelope to yourself. I would suggest sending this mail as registered mail... so someone has to sign for it upon receipt, also keep the registered mail senders receipt as further evidence of date. When you receive the mail, scan a copy of both the envelope front (unopened) and the senders receipt on a one page scan showing both items together and save the file. Then lock away the unopened mail and senders receipt in a safe place, I suggest a bank safety deposit box.

Once you've done the above go for it.. but going forward anyone you intend to expose the design too have them sign a Confidentiality Agreement and register this agreement with a law firm BEFORE exposing the design.

Its all about the date and evidence of date. Remember someone can argue they thought of the idea before you showed them yours, so your C.A. needs to have a clause stating the person your showing your design too has no current or forthcoming designs that may reflect that of yours.

If it were me, I would patent it. Remember though patening something really has to be proven first so the above is a way of covering your butt prior to bringing in help to prove the design.

Good Luck!

.. and for this who say there's no money in coil sales, you really need to do the sums.

How many of us buy additional coils, I'd say all of us do particularly those who have PI machines. The average coil cost is ~$500, thats approximately 12.5% of a new detector if it cost $4000.

I for one certainly wouldn't mind 12.5% of Minelabs global PI revenue... and thats 12.5% if everyone only bought 1 coil.

It good to know there are people out there who are not afraid to give out good advice, thanx all for that. Geotech, yes i am familiar with it and have read most of the posts contained therein.
It is quite possible that this design has already been tried and found to be wanting, and quite possibly by a person that has visited Geotech.
I might try building this myself, so must think about what road i'm going to go down!!
Again thanx all for the advice, will take it all on board!!

Latest posts