You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

BigWave
10 January 2020 10:39 pm

I thought I'd start this to show interesting stuff fluorescing under UV lamps.
Not just minerals, but our currency has some great anti-counterfeit effects using UV lights:
Can you see the bird on our $5 notes (and check out my ciggy lighter handle):
1578655571_5_note.jpg
Can you see the manufacture date and serial number:
1578655674_5_note_1.jpg
Can you see scorpions in the bush at night? They glow like light houses at 10m using a Convoy S2+ UVA torch. They're everywhere in the Vic GT. In your tent?
1578655943_scorpions.jpg
Then check out ladies' UV nail polish, real rubies (glow a brilliant red - not fakes), diamonds (50% glow blue), lichens in rain forests - all sorts of colours.
Hundreds of other things glow when exposed to UV light that you can't see when only illuminated with visible light.
Tonic water glows faint blue, dog/cat piss (well - maybe you don't want to know - don't check your carpets or sofas where they sit).
Also, don't use a UV torch in your hotel room at night - particularly the dunny - well - you really really don't want to know.
No wonder these lights are used by forensics staff.

Last edited by BigWave (10 January 2020 10:48 pm)

GPX-4500 & Direction Finding Daughter

9 users like this post: 7.62marksman, Detectist, aussiefarmer, Ded Driver, RM Outback, Manpa, goody2shoes, MegsyB007, LoneWolf

Detectist
10 January 2020 11:26 pm

Thanks BW. As a result of your earlier posts i got a convoy UV light. Looking forward to getting our there and having a gander with that and an IR light.

BTW have you been to the Crystal Caves shop in Atherton Qld? They have a room that switches from white light to UV. Fantastic.

3 users like this post: RM Outback, BigWave, LoneWolf

RM Outback
11 January 2020 07:19 am

thumbsup now you've really got me interested, not the cats and dogs or the motel rooms (thankfully we very rarely use them) but the scorpions, money ect. I can see this as an interesting subject to experience and enjoy with the grand kids smile thumbsup they'll keep me on my toes making sure they don't blind everyone plus themselves lol lol

Might be worth making it a sticky.

Last edited by RM Outback (11 January 2020 07:20 am)

2 users like this post: BigWave, LoneWolf

2lateagain
11 January 2020 07:34 am

We have used a UV light now for some time when ever we are selling something and the buyer hands over cash, was originally purchased for a particular type of glass ware that the wife was interested in, saves a lot problems with the money. On the older notes just the number fluoresce.

Graham

Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.
I plan on living forever...............................................so far I am still on track!

1 user likes this post: LoneWolf

LoneWolf
11 January 2020 04:18 pm

Detectist wrote:

Thanks BW. As a result of your earlier posts i got a convoy UV light. Looking forward to getting our there and having a gander with that and an IR light.

BTW have you been to the Crystal Caves shop in Atherton Qld? They have a room that switches from white light to UV. Fantastic.

Detectist, You also need a special type of filter glass for use with your Convoy S2+ 365 torch....

From here... There are other places but this was the first I found..

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32649282235.html

I will put up some pics of my 'Black light' torch and some Minerals that DO show a reaction... Not many UV Minerals will 'Glow' under this torch, but it is a good starting point if the Convoy S2+ is out of your reach...

There are lots of imitation Convoy s2+'s on the market... BEWARE of the Imitation ones... They are just a 'Black Light' torch...

2lateagain, that 'special' Glass is also Radioactive... So Don't handle it too much.. wink

Emmaville Mining Museum also has a pretty good Display of UV Minerals too... thumbsup

They also use a special type of Fluro tube in Public Toilets (Glows blue,) to prevent Needle users finding a Vein... hmm

LW...

Last edited by LoneWolf (11 January 2020 04:32 pm)

Growing Old is Inevitable.... Growing Up is Optional.... Union Proud and Union Strong... A.M.W.U Active Member....

2 users like this post: Detectist, goody2shoes

Hard Luck
11 January 2020 04:52 pm

Mmmmm...roast scorpions.

"Courage and Patience"
My Mothers Daily Chant

2lateagain
11 January 2020 06:36 pm

LW, most of the radioactive glass that we own came from my mother and they were always on display in my parents house for as long as I can remember, we were not aware of what it was until we got one of the UV lights about 8 years ago, my wife liked them when she saw them a long time ago and they became hers when my parents passed.

I have always wondered why I glowed in the dark, always thought it was the clean living and being a really nice person was the reason, but looks like I was badly mistaken as I have been told by a lot of people. lol lol lol

Graham

Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.
I plan on living forever...............................................so far I am still on track!

2 users like this post: LoneWolf, goody2shoes

LoneWolf
11 January 2020 06:44 pm

Hang on to them as they are worth big money thumbsup

LW...

Growing Old is Inevitable.... Growing Up is Optional.... Union Proud and Union Strong... A.M.W.U Active Member....

Sandta
11 January 2020 08:11 pm

I remember seeing displays of that type of glassware at bottle shows
Dont really know the history , but pretty sure its called ‘depression’ glass

LoneWolf
11 January 2020 08:22 pm

That is one name for them... I have also heard them called 'Radio' Glass as well...

LW...

1 user likes this post: Sandta

Detectist
11 January 2020 09:15 pm

LoneWolf wrote:
Detectist wrote:

Detectist, You also need a special type of filter glass for use with your Convoy S2+ 365 torch....

From here... There are other places but this was the first I found..

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32649282235.html

I will put up some pics of my 'Black light' torch and some Minerals that DO show a reaction... Not many UV Minerals will 'Glow' under this torch, but it is a good starting point if the Convoy S2+ is out of your reach...

There are lots of imitation Convoy s2+'s on the market... BEWARE of the Imitation ones... They are just a 'Black Light' torch...

2lateagain, that 'special' Glass is also Radioactive... So Don't handle it too much.. wink

Emmaville Mining Museum also has a pretty good Display of UV Minerals too... thumbsup

They also use a special type of Fluro tube in Public Toilets (Glows blue,) to prevent Needle users finding a Vein... hmm

LW...

Thanks LW - I got a C8 (Fyrfly) that had the filter already installed. I got it from Aliexpress too at a pretty good price.

It'd be great to see your pics of fluro minerals. I'll keep Emmaville in mind too - thanks.

I bought a few fluro samples from a detecting shop (Treasure Enteprises) that closed down in Brisbane but haven't had a chance yet to see them light up with my new torch. EDIT - And I just remembered - I picked up a couple of samples of stuff I picked up at the Emu sites. That'll be interesting to see when I find them again and have time to see if they glow.

Last edited by Detectist (11 January 2020 09:19 pm)

RockRat
11 January 2020 09:52 pm

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … id=313&p=1
This topic was started in 2013, great to see it revived thumbsup

2 users like this post: RM Outback, LoneWolf

BigWave
11 January 2020 11:09 pm

RockRat wrote:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … id=313&p=1
This topic was started in 2013, great to see it revived thumbsup

Thanks RR. Didn't know that.
For those that want extra filters for their Convoy S2+ torches (these torches don't really need them, as they already put out very little visible light), then you can buy these:
1578744427_filter.jpg
They further decrease the already small amount of visible light given off by the Convoy S2+ torches.
As shown, a pack of 5 costs US$13 (a few months back). Make sure the diameter is 20.5mm, as they have a whole range of diameters.
You could likely buy larger diameters for torches such as the Convoy FyrFly, but I have not tried.

Last edited by BigWave (11 January 2020 11:18 pm)

GPX-4500 & Direction Finding Daughter

2 users like this post: goody2shoes, LoneWolf

Dignit
11 January 2020 11:20 pm

The glass that glows under UV light is ‘uranium glass’. Highly collectable, and worth good dollars.

Last edited by Dignit (11 January 2020 11:21 pm)

GPX 4500, pick, Jeep Cherokee and gold fever

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site