What Car, what brands do you trust for the Outback?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
General_Hawkins said:
Thank you all! Very helpful overall. If someone has any further insights for us any tipps would be appreciated. :) :perfect:

We will now regularly check out the links you guys provided, try to attend on an online auction (just to see how it goes until we arrive). Would it be okay to provide pictures and asking for feedback every time we find a good ad?

Best,
Oli

Yes , watch auctions for a while , always pick a price limit before the auction starts and dont go past your limit on the day

Post a few examples and we will try to pick defects or good points.

Ps , the best time to buy is big auctions when there are many of the same model that you want

If you want no limits a lot of routes do not recommend trailers. Some 4wd channels say trailers are banned on some routes but I do not have first hand onfo on this.

You'll have to decide which way you want to go considering your travel expectations then select a vehicle.

Keep in mind towing limits and vehicle gvm/gcm. Landcruisers around 1996 started having 3500kg towing and the gcm = gvm+towing. Newer modern utilities don't follow that rule as the gcm is less than gvm+towing. Packed and fueled up consider your weight and gvn

A landcruiser troopy/105 would be my first choice as they have good interior space . The troopy fuel capacity should be good as standard. Tbe complication is the months you'll have wife and kids so you'll need to free up seats and must have an rv troopy if you go that way. If you have three across the back the 105 gxl has a centre over shoulder belt. So it'll come down to how you manage space during that time but you might have to have a trailer but not necessarily a camper if you tent/swag. Maybe hire a camper for those few months?

Jon

blisters said:
If you want no limits a lot of routes do not recommend trailers. Some 4wd channels say trailers are banned on some routes but I do not have first hand onfo on this.

You'll have to decide which way you want to go considering your travel expectations then select a vehicle.

Keep in mind towing limits and vehicle gvm/gcm. Landcruisers around 1996 started having 3500kg towing and the gcm = gvm+towing. Newer modern utilities don't follow that rule as the gcm is less than gvm+towing. Packed and fueled up consider your weight and gvn

A landcruiser troopy/105 would be my first choice as they have good interior space . The troopy fuel capacity should be good as standard. Tbe complication is the months you'll have wife and kids so you'll need to free up seats and must have an rv troopy if you go that way. If you have three across the back the 105 gxl has a centre over shoulder belt. So it'll come down to how you manage space during that time but you might have to have a trailer but not necessarily a camper if you tent/swag. Maybe hire a camper for those few months?

Jon

Thank you! Yea this is exactly what I am already thinking about - The trailer/camper point. It would be nice to have a double cab car, that we can use all together for city trips in combination with a trailer if we go remote. I mean a double cap 4x4 with a roof tent would be enough for the 2 of us because my wife and kid will stay in a hotel / airbnb etc. anyway :)

A single cap - Camper would be a great solution for us too but will higher the overall costs in the end because we will need an extra car for the few months.

Regarding the trailer weight - the models we saw so far should fall under the 750kg cap. We don't want a hardtop/case solution. A tent on wheels would be enough :D

something like this:

1578585630_870a6fa249b9ec03d6883363ff3ef29a.jpg

1578585642_6c31de33cfdd0ac2a12a96aee0e66234.jpg

CreviceSucker said:
Yes , watch auctions for a while , always pick a price limit before the auction starts and dont go past your limit on the day

Post a few examples and we will try to pick defects or good points.

Ps , the best time to buy is big auctions when there are many of the same model that you want

With price limit you mean a function if we buy the vehicle online? I doubt that we invest a bit of money from overseas into a car we never saw live ;)
But for getting a feeling how prices will vary and how expensive some models can become it should be a good solution or?

Is pickles going to become like ebay on auction day where we can see live prizes? That would help a lot

Best
Oli

Yes , watch to get an idea of what prices are like , most online auction you can inspect the car before the auction finishes , but still bid online.

Some days the prices will be crazy high , other days everything will be cheap , it depends on full moon , pending elections , overseas military games , newspaper articles , they all influence price activity.

Pickles will show live prices , BUT sometimes the pickles website can be slow to process your bid , maybe you click BID button but the website will not process your bid for 10 seconds , sometimes it is okay , 1 - 2 seconds to process.

read the auction terms, calculate the auction commissions and understand how much it adds to the price.

Dont rush to buy the first one , sometimes good quality will come

See this one below , purchased 3 years ago by mining company , never used , only 191 km driven to site however that is Ute , no good for you.

https://www.pickles.com.au/trucks/i...assis-Single-Cab--2-Seats--2-Doors/2902240604

CreviceSucker said:
Yes , watch to get an idea of what prices are like , most online auction you can inspect the car before the auction finishes , but still bid online.

Some days the prices will be crazy high , other days everything will be cheap , it depends on full moon , pending elections , overseas military games , newspaper articles , they all influence price activity.

Pickles will show live prices , BUT sometimes the pickles website can be slow to process your bid , maybe you click BID button but the website will not process your bid for 10 seconds , sometimes it is okay , 1 - 2 seconds to process.

read the auction terms, calculate the auction commissions and understand how much it adds to the price.

Dont rush to buy the first one , sometimes good quality will come

See this one below , purchased 3 years ago by mining company , never used , only 191 km driven to site however that is Ute , no good for you.

https://www.pickles.com.au/trucks/i...assis-Single-Cab--2-Seats--2-Doors/2902240604

But it is possible to attent "live" in person on an auction while we are in Perth right?
Regarding your link, "purchased 3 years ago by mining company" - you assume that because of the decal "SAExploration" on the car or am I missing something?

yes there are often clues as to a vehicles history , that one is 2016 manufacture but the photos show odometer is low , brake , clutch accelerator have no wear , rear has no tray been fitted to the mounting brackets , floor mats no wear.

It is quite common for mining company to purchase too much equipment that never gets used , mineral sales demand changes or mines shut down , then it goes to auction.

Dont be afraid to seriously look at mining vehicles either. The main problem with them is some suffer premature rust. Otherwise they can be mechanically fine and well maintained.
Just the fact that they are an ex mining vehicle can lower the price, some bargains to be had especially if they were not underground vehicles.

As you are only here for a year, rust unless major should not be a problem.

madtuna said:
Dont be afraid to seriously look at mining vehicles either. The main problem with them is some suffer premature rust. Otherwise they can be mechanically fine and well maintained.
Just the fact that they are an ex mining vehicle can lower the price, some bargains to be had especially if they were not underground vehicles.

As you are only here for a year, rust unless major should not be a problem.

Location Location Location

:)

Depending what area and what type of mine.

Aboveground Coal mines ? Dont touch them because they not only get rust due to the sulphur in coal (>sulphuric acid) but they also suffer with electrical gremlins due to corrosion in their wiring , the corrosive humid air gets into everything.

Copper and iron ore I find not as bad and yes they can be cheap especially if its a large auction with many of the same type of vehicle.

As mentioned , if its an underground mine or civil project , they can be worth only scrap value after 2 - 3 years because thats how totally f*** they will be. :)

With roof top tents you have to pack up before you can move anywhere so they're a bit limiting if you want to be based somewhere for a while.

That camper might be good to hire for when your wife is with you as you could load stuff from the car to free up space.

Jon

blisters said:
With roof top tents you have to pack up before you can move anywhere so they're a bit limiting if you want to be based somewhere for a while.

That camper might be good to hire for when your wife is with you as you could load stuff from the car to free up space.

Jon

That's why I bought a Van, If the weather turns bad I can just climb in the back and I am already set up, Plus it can handle highway speeds and still give 55-60+MPG and it drives like a Car,

I am done with vehicles that have to be doing 3500/4000 rpm just to keep up with the traffic using 9-12 L per 100ks, :Y:

blisters said:

Jon

Yup . I got sick of a fold out roof top tent after 2 years . 3 - 4 minutes to set up twice a day is a massive PITA , and if its raining ? ]:D :awful:

Poptop for me when I get time to make it . I know you can buy them cheap enough but I want more width so I can turn over in bed without kicking the missus out the window.

General_Hawkins said:
I mean a double cap 4x4 with a roof tent would be enough for the 2 of us because my wife and kid will stay in a hotel / airbnb etc. anyway :)

If you've come to the other side of the world planning to exploring Australia and your wife and kid want to stay in Hotels and AirBnB :eek: they need to see the real Australia, the places you will want to go won't have Hotels or AirBnB. It will be under the stars, like you've never seen before, bush cooking with people you'll meet on the road, sights and experiences you and your family will remember for the rest of your lives.

There are some very good off road campers which are more than capable of accommodating 4 people, light to tow and hold their price for re-sale, brands like Patriot, BRS Sherpa, or Conqueror to name three, all will easily tow behind a Troopy without any weight issues.

Plan for the special places that few ever see, you'll never regret it.

Dihusky said:
General_Hawkins said:
I mean a double cap 4x4 with a roof tent would be enough for the 2 of us because my wife and kid will stay in a hotel / airbnb etc. anyway :)

If you've come to the other side of the world planning to exploring Australia and your wife and kid want to stay in Hotels and AirBnB :eek: they need to see the real Australia, the places you will want to go won't have Hotels or AirBnB. It will be under the stars, like you've never seen before, bush cooking with people you'll meet on the road, sights and experiences you and your family will remember for the rest of your lives.

There are some very good off road campers which are more than capable of accommodating 4 people, light to tow and hold their price for re-sale, brands like Patriot, BRS Sherpa, or Conqueror to name three, all will easily tow behind a Troopy without any weight issues.

Plan for the special places that few ever see, you'll never regret it.

Will check out the offroad-camper makes you stated but have to admit that in combination with a suitable car the prizes are limited. Currently our Budget for Car + Camping stuff is around 30k.

Regarding camping and my wife... Meh, I totally agree with you but in case of planning I have to plan either a hotel for them or as you said an offroad trailer.
Ps.: It was hard enough to get her agreement for this trip :lol:

To clarify is the 30k AUS or DEM and will it covers the whole trip or just to purchase the vehicle and camping gear? E.g fuel and initial and ongoing vehicle maintenance.

Jon

blisters said:
To clarify is the 30k AUS or DEM and will it covers the whole trip or just to purchase the vehicle and camping gear? E.g fuel and initial and ongoing vehicle maintenance.

Jon

Thats rougly what we calculated:

30k AUD -> Car + Camping Gear
20k AUD -> Prospecting Equip + Miners Right + Section 40e + Snake Guardz + GPS + PLB + etc.
30k AUD -> Flights, Visa, Fuel, Food, Laundry, etc

Some of the numbers might vary in the section but in the end thats the budget for our 1-year-prospecting trip.
The budget for wife and kid is a different one.

I think considering you'll be out for a year and maybe doing some large kms, you have to look at initial inspection/preparation and ongoing maintenance. If you go for a later model vehicle then the price is higher and you'll have less for preparation if it is required. A newer vehicle may not be in better mechanical condition than an older vehicle such as if you buy an older one from an enthusiast like that link to the nissan you posted. It's always a trade off.

So given a 30k vehicle/camping budget I would look at a vehicle 15k to a max of 20k and considering likely high kms, whether the engine and gearbox/xfer has been reconditioned as this will blow your budget easily if something goes wrong. A high mileage vehicle with 450,000km on the clock but with a reconditioned gbox/xfer and engine at 350,000km would be a better base unit than one at 340,000km. Suspension is a critical component as well. From there the initial preparation of tyres/brakes/cvs/batteries/cooling system etc. is cost manageable if required. If you can swing your own spanners then you'll save a bunch.

For camping probably the biggest single expense is your fridge. If you will base camp then there's charging say through solar panel and battery considerations as well. It sounds like you have a great opportunity to get your trip setup right until when your missus arrives. At that point I wouldn't change your working setup so if you tent, get another tent etc. for the missus/child but you'll probably need to hire an offroad box trailer to move crap out of your truck for a while to gain seating. Check out canvas pole tents, it's much better to stand up while getting dressed.

I would still go the troopy rv, 80 or 100 series landcruisers 4.2 diesel mostly because of internal space and they're strong or if you go nissan then 4.2 diesel also. The 80 and 100 are coil sprung all round so will be a more comfortable ride over the troopy rv and more readily available. At the end of the day the vehicle still has to carry the payload and yourself/fuel/water/barwork/racks will contribute a lot to this so calculate the weight to stay legal and travel as light as possible or consider a gvm upgrade. Some tracks are very long so fuel/water capacity/weight/planning is very important. I'll stress the water part.

With PLBs check out the inreach and similar iridium based products as you will have two way satellite text communication and your family can track you all the time and act when something is not to plan.

Jon

If you stay away from American and European vehicles you're usually ok. The problems come with modifications. Stock standard vehicles rarely let you down even in very rough terrain. Lots of people have suspension failures but on almost all occasions they are non standard parts that fail. Same thing with exhausts, roo bars, tow bars, roof racks, radios, batteries etc. Keep it simple and within the load rating of your vehicle you'll very likely come home again.

Thanks for all your tips and advice guys, I really appreciate it. We will continue to plan and calculate our trip and when the start (August) is coming closer, we would like to add some current ads here and ask again for your advice :Y: :)

Ded Driver said:
no Oli, prices are not generally seasonal, although occasional people might sell stuff at a higher price if in demand during, example, xmas holiday time.
Land Cruisers here hold their resale value better than most other vehicles.
some other websites to check out;
www.carsales.com.au
www.carsguide.com.au
www.autotrader.com.au
www.tradingpost.com.au
www.drive.com.au
Be VERY careful of scammers tho if buying privately
A reputable dealer is always the best way to go
A smaller 4WD plus a camper trailer is also a good option

Friends, tell me the car prices in Australian dollars or American?

Latest posts