Cairns Queensland (Qld) information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not much around Cairns itself that isn't in a national park or conservation area. Further afield (1-4 hours drive) the options open up a bit (apparently)

I have a heap of maps here to save you buying. What general area do you want. (PM me if you want)

I know mount perter mine was and ? still is a gold mine but where else? All the flats of cairns have the potential to hole gold because of the Mulgrave river which changed corce 1500 years ago because of the diamond rich volcano greenhill . Is this right?

1529626062_cairns.jpg

Hi everyone I've taken up prospecting in the last 12 months and I'm hooked, I live in kuranda so the tablelands is my hunting grounds,I've tired several places around clohesy river I've got a bit of colour in the pan but nothing all that good. Any tips on the local area would be great Bushmanrod I've tried to look you up on Facebook but didn't have any luck finding you if your up for a yarn one day I'd be more then interested in hearing from you, many thanks happy hunting

Hi everyone I Melbourne based and I am heading to North Queensland in a week for 2 weeks.
I will be based in cairns, or port Douglas for most of the time.
Is it worth packing an SdC in my bag?
Where can I go around the general area.
I have a car in Cairns (2WD) not suitable for dirt roads.
I may rent a 4x4 for a week.
I go to North Queensland several times a year but have never investigated prospecting.
I believe prospecting in state forest is not allowed.
I understand that most prospecting is on private property or in the recreational use areas around maytown.
Any tips will be much appreciated.

Hi, I'm a local from koah, only young and haven't found any gold around tablelands, and these are the only parts I can look in while not being able to drive a car anywhere else. I was hoping someone could message me or tell me on this forum where to look, my grandad introduced me to panning and I love it but would like to find a piece thanks all!!! :)

There's also gold to be found on the Barron if you can find a good spot. I like to play on Google Earth and look for good looking bends where there is plenty of exposed bedrock and of course a spot that's accessible without too much leg work. It can take some time/test pans to find where the "gold line" runs at any given section on the Barron as it's a big river especially during flood but you'll learn to look for the right signs to get you on the gold quicker. Not all sections will win you gold though, so be prepared to come home empty handed some days which is perfectly normal. Cross that spot off the map and look for the next. Just be thorough in testing each spot before disregarding it completely as often it'll be there, just not exactly where you might expect (large catchment rivers can be quite difficult to read compared to small-mid sized creeks). Helps to use a detector, doesn't need to be particularly good at finding gold, but to find where bits of iron, lead, etc, are accumulating. Good chance where you find numerous bits of trashy metal dropping, you'll also find some gold under it all -- just make sure to take a pan though as most the gold will be undetectable.

Hi guys, new to the forum and prospecting.
Have tried some local creeks in cairns with no luck. I was wondering if there is anyone who knows of local Cairns spots where theres a likelihood of maybe finding something?

Latest posts