Whites TDI pro depth modification

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the TDI can be modified for better depth or is it a matter of upgrading coils. I am interested in getting one at some stage but I'm not sure of their capabilities. I have a GMT and am very happy with it. I saw Ivanll with one with a different coil on it and he seemed to be happy with it. Thanks Rick.

No internal modifications can be done as everything is controlled via a microcontroller.

Like any detector a bigger coil will detect deeper and smaller coils will be more sensitive.

Any Minelab and any TDI (PI) coil will work on it. There is also a manufacturer called Razorback that manufactures specific TDI specced coils.

Mine (TDI) would detect a 0.2g piece at a couple of inches in air with a Nugget Finder Sadie 8x6" mono
My (GPX5000) Will detect a 0.2g piece at a couple of inches in air with the Minelab Commander 11" mono

I dug a dollar coin on the beach at 500mm deep with a TDI, no doubt about it they can go deep in the right conditions. Ivanll has posted numerous finds with his of very small pieces.

Carl Moreland has announced that he (Whites) intend on replaceing the TDI this year with a whole new design that is waterproof and has a targetted minimum delay of 6us. Once this is released it may well be a game changer in nugget land.

Thanks.Ben78 Good info I liked them when I first saw them and my Gmt has picked up seriously small pieces of gold to about 2-2 1/2 inches so I am pleased with that. I will look at the new ones and the price and go from there, Cheers Rick

Ben78 do you know any thing about the TDI replacement as im getting rid of my 2100 and trying a TDI pro but if i can find info on any upgraded models i would probably wait for it

Rigger, Carl Moreland (Whites Design Engineer) has specifically said that the design brief includes a 6us dealy setting and waterproof. 6us would be about equivalent to the 'Fine Gold' setting on GPX5000, but whether the transmit power will be equivalent I don't know. I can say that now that I have used a GPX5000 and a TDI in the field that the GPX is multiple orders of magnitude more sensitive at depth than the TDI

I would have assumed the 5000 would have been heads above the TDI but it is hard to find reliable reports on detectors at times ,and as i live in Adelaide and dont often get to the goldfields the price of the TDI is attractive ,thanks for your valued reply ,im overseas for 8 months so i will keep looking`and see what comes out thanks for that info though

Hi everyone

Ive just got a couple of questions re my Whites TDI OZ Pro..i bought this detector from an aussie supplier in Victoria 4 months ago and It came with its standard 12 Single Field Waterproof Search coil (is it any good?) and bonus COILTEK 6'' INCH SNIFFER SEARCHCOIL. Firstly..is it correct in saying that the 6 inch sniffer coil searches a smaller area but goes deeperand the factory standard dd coil covers a larger area but not as deep..I bought this detector due feeling that it was a reasonable and affordable entry level PI detector. All I read on the other hand is about GPX 5000s and nothing elsethe paranoia started and began to grownow I know that the 5000 is the best detectorI dont expect the 2 to be equals, but I didnt have 6k to burn on a detector and I didnt want to buy a second hand detector ..can I ask has anyone actually found any gold with their whites tdi oz pro..if so..was it deepsmall etc..i suppose I need some reassurance that although its not a 5000 ill still find something if its their..i would really appreciate any feedback to help reassure this TDI owner!

The 6" coil is for very small gold on the surface. The bigger the coil the more depth you will get. DD coils don't go as deep as monos but are quieter in hot ground.

DD

Hi Nikos, I have the TDI with the 6" coil and also have the 14x9 goldstalker which works well. The GPX5000 is a great machine but you will have fun with the TDI , as for depth you just have to get out there and listen carfuly and dig. have fun.
As a novice it is worth doing a day coarse with gold prospecting australia , they will take you out and work on your detecting style with a GPX5000 for half the day so you get into good habits with detecting then they will work with you on the TDI the second half of the day, it is really worth it.

Cheers
Tails

Well this year has past for the new TDI to be release I wonder has the new garrett put a holt on things untill the new year? We might get a surprise early next year with a little competion
Not only on product on price as well?

Hi Guys,

Was looking at buying a Whites TDI Pro and I asked the question.

What was the smallest nugget you found at the deepest depth.

Answer back was A grain of gold rice size at approximately 30cm. Loud and clear :)

Is this right? Can anyone confirm this pls?

Joe

Would like to see that. The smallest nug we got with the TDI last year over in WA went 0.3 grams at about 10cm in quite hot ground. I'm sure it would pick up a rice grain size at that depth also. The gpx5000 would be pushing to pick up a rice grain at 30cm ;)

Cheers Wal.

Ben78 said:
I can see reasons to use a TDI over a 5000 and can see reasons to use a 5000 over a TDI.

hi ben
I don't wish to get involved in a which is better debate, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts about what reason you'd use a tdi over a 5000.
I'm happy to have anything in my prospecting gear that will do one job well and if I have missed something that the tdi is great at doing I'd be happy to hear about it.
I know people that have a tdi and find gold so I know they work. but is there something you have found that they will do that other p.i machines don't do or not as good?
regards tm

trashmagnet said:
Ben78 said:
I can see reasons to use a TDI over a 5000 and can see reasons to use a 5000 over a TDI.

hi ben
I don't wish to get involved in a which is better debate, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts about what reason you'd use a tdi over a 5000.
I'm happy to have anything in my prospecting gear that will do one job well and if I have missed something that the tdi is great at doing I'd be happy to hear about it.
I know people that have a tdi and find gold so I know they work. but is there something you have found that they will do that other p.i machines don't do or not as good?
regards tm

I can see immediately one powerful reason to use a TDI over a GPX 5000, and that is not having a $7,000 budget.

mfdes said:
I can see immediately one powerful reason to use a TDI over a GPX 5000, and that is not having a $7,000 budget.

never seen a detector for $7000 so not sure what your talking about??? :rolleyes:

trashmagnet said:
but is there something you have found that they will do that other p.i machines don't do or not as good?
regards tm

Yeah for sure.

In my front yard in Coffs I had a sixpence that I buried at 8". The only detector I ever owned that would detect it was the TDI and the Minelab Explorer. The T2 was too unstable, the 5000 was too unstable. In benign ground the TDI can be adjusted on the ground balance and using the conductivity switch can be a very effective 'high conductor' only discriminator - ie it will tone on silver and copper but nothing else. There is certain areas that I know of that hold coins that are very deep, beyond the depth of what a 'normal' VLF coin detector will find, but they also hold the trashier items, nails, ring pulls etc. TDI in this situation will far exceed the capability of the 5000. Also on the beach I feel a whole lot more comfortable swinging a couple of grand than six! And of course, nothing compares to a 5000 on small gold in super hot ground - that fact has been proven time and time again!

thanks ben
that "high conductor" adjustment sounds interesting for coins and with no emi sounds good.
regards tm

trashmagnet said:
mfdes said:

never seen a detector for $7000 so not sure what your talking about??? :rolleyes:

Remind me again how much a new GPX5000 costs?

http://www.minersden.com.au/minelab-gpx-5000-metal-detector/

Reduced from $7,239.95 to $6,450 for just your basic detector... My point remains the same whether $6,450 or $7,000 that the reason someone would choose a TDI over a GPX5000 is the much cheaper price.

Latest posts