Gold Claw Pan

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
waterrat said:
Hi all first-time post :)

Wondering if there's an online retailer for them in Aus? I just ordered one from amaXXn.com.au and the seller looked like it was Au-based fair enough I thought, then of course oh no it's shipping from USA...I pop a quick query over to them asking about the shipping...and...I kid you not - first time ever. They've posted it to AUSTRIA...I applaud them for making what I thought was just a gag a real thing.

So getting refund from that one, looking to buy as local as possible this time!

I tried to buy one local but couldnt find anyone, so I bought off AmaXXn got it pretty quick at a good price but I thought it came from somewhere in Australia as I got it in about 3 days, did you buy off AmaXXon.com.au?
Welcome to PA.

A mate tossed me one a couple of weeks back, here you have this, I cant figure it out
His biggest issue were the three deep riffles at the front of the pan, they are open sided so material washes out and once material falls into them its very difficult to wash back.
I figured they are more of a safety riffle, probably working material too hard to have colour spill into them.
They are small, even a generic 3 ring black pan will wash more dirt.
However, they are fast. Once you get used to the design. I have used it for cleanups and the results are surprisingly good. I pan into the super sluice and so far so good, not even losing micro dots.
I would not use one as a main pan, it would be like choosing an 8 or 10 as your main. Maybe if you were hiking in from a long way and needed to go light in your pack.
Another positive, kids seem to handle them well. :goldpan:

Somebody knocked off our Garrett Supper Sluice when it was sitting out the back in Capel full of crushed specis and plenty of visible gold. Probably by some idiot who'll never use it again. However we don't use it very much due to the size. We have a tiny little blue thing from Reeds that will work in a bucket of water much easier than using the Garrett. Unfortunately we don't get water from a stream, it all comes from a 20L drum that has to be carried from somewhere a long way off.

1576980435_fist_full_of_gold.jpg

Sometimes you do need a pan with good sized rifles ... :lol: :lol:

Mike501 said:
Whats everyones thoughts on the gold claw pan? Looks pretty good if it works as shown, anyone got one?

I own 2 of them, they are very fast and hold gold very well there only draw back that I found was they require deeper water to bring the pan to almost vertical to process the pan, not so much to classify but to clean all the over burden. Way faster than any round pan about 4 times faster or my Letrap square pan around twice as fast. My sister didn't care for it she had trouble with the side to side motion to clear the pan. Easier for new users than those that started with the round pans, I had the same problem when i first got the LeTrap

mudgee hunter said:
It's pretty hard to beat the 15" Garret super sluice pan (opinion)

I agree, I take two super sluices on every outing. They're hungry pans and provided you thoroughly puddle the contents and stratify, they're bloody quick in practiced hands - and the heavies (gold n' gems) are super safe behind those huge 90 degree riffles.

So I have got used to this little guy a bit more from my previous post. I use it though purely for cleanups and the odd crevice. Pretty certain I have got to the point of not losing even fly specks.
Had a chuckle thinking of how small the pocket one must be. Reminded me of a woman I ran into close to Sofala a couple of months back trying to pan with a coffee cup, she wanted to show her grandchildren a spec or two of gold.
I always seem to have a generic black pan in the wagon (oddly enough found yet another one at Winburndale Rivulet this morning sans owner) so gave it to her along with a quick lesson in panning :goldpan:

1578458834_718d3145-3720-4598-a4fa-e06ffe444217.jpg

The garret 15" super sluice was a bit of a new trust learning curve at first.
Most newbies don't like the amount of material they can hold back at first.
Many underestimate the simplicity of using a gold pan.
Used correctly they are basically a final solution of most clean ups.
The last 20% of a clean up, I do tend to put my other 15" under to catch it. But this is only practiced because of accepted haste to have an early peek.
Keeping the angle of the pan divided equally front and back I use a lot.
And no more than 5 wash aways before returning to flat to avoid compaction.
Compaction is your worst enemy in panning or sluicing!

Latest posts