You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

HomerJSimpson
31 December 2019 11:44 am

Hi everyone

I'm hoping to do some more detecting and fossicking soon. I'm all loaded up with maps, and I have been doing a fair amount of reading on the web. What I've read is that I can fossick on crown land, but I need permission first; is this right? Does that mean that to metal detect and fossick on the beach, that I need to seek permission from the local council first?

I'm also trying to find out what areas are just off limits, like cemeteries. What other areas should one not practice this hobby?

Thanks in advance!!

bicter
31 December 2019 11:48 am

HomerJSimpson wrote:

Hi everyone

I'm hoping to do some more detecting and fossicking soon. I'm all loaded up with maps, and I have been doing a fair amount of reading on the web. What I've read is that I can fossick on crown land, but I need permission first; is this right? Does that mean that to metal detect and fossick on the beach, that I need to seek permission from the local council first?

I'm also trying to find out what areas are just off limits, like cemeteries. What other areas should one not practice this hobby?

Thanks in advance!!

Need to know which state you're in as each has different rules and regulations.

HomerJSimpson
31 December 2019 11:49 am

bicter wrote:
HomerJSimpson wrote:

Hi everyone

Thanks in advance!!

Need to know which state you're in as each has different rules and regulations.

Sorry, good point!

I'm in New South Wales

madtuna
31 December 2019 12:01 pm

Power stations, nuclear reactors, hospitals, police stations, banks, supermarkets, public toilets, sea world, airport tarmacs, public swimming pools.....
The list of where you can detect might be shorter.

If guns kill people, cutlery causes obesity. Sporks should be Cat D and have no place in suburbia
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL9zIt … KCVngVrjg?

2 users like this post: nucopia, LoneWolf

HomerJSimpson
31 December 2019 12:21 pm

madtuna wrote:

Power stations, nuclear reactors, hospitals, police stations, banks, supermarkets, public toilets, sea world, airport tarmacs, public swimming pools.....
The list of where you can detect might be shorter.

You could be right! My work background involved lots of policies and procedures, so I'm not to bad at finding ways to get out of things, but from what I have read so far, we always need permission from the land holder or from whoever is managing that area. So from this, it reads to me that it's almost as though the only places we can do our hobby without getting permission first, are the places that have been stipulated by the NSW Forestry Commission. Other than those areas, we just have private land once permission has been granted.

If my conclusions above are not correct or you know of a law etc that suggests different, please share.

I'm very new to this hobby, I'm not at all trying to stir up issues; I've been bending the rules all my life and an happy to continue, but I don't want my son getting in trouble for anything. Hope I'm making sense.

HomerJSimpson
31 December 2019 12:32 pm

I must add, that I haven't read any policies yet as such, just portions of such etc. I have though just started reading the Miner's Act, let's see how that goes lol

nucopia
31 December 2019 12:37 pm

Homer with the present bush fire situation, many state parks are going to be closed and many other areas that are open to camping and fossicking will likely be affected as well.
Places you could look at are, Stuart Town common for detecting and places such as Ophir , Nundle , the Turon River or Tuena for panning and sluicing.
But I am guessing that some of these places will also have restrictions due to the fires ..
Try a google search of the place names + camping fossicking that should bring up information to start your research.

every day is an adventure
NAPFA Member

1 user likes this post: HomerJSimpson

LoneWolf
31 December 2019 01:52 pm

These links will help you out with closures at the moment..

https://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/visit/closures

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/alerts/alerts-list

And this one about the Rules...
https://www.resourcesandgeoscience.nsw. … ing-in-nsw

LW...

Last edited by LoneWolf (31 December 2019 02:02 pm)

Growing Old is Inevitable.... Growing Up is Optional.... Prospectors United Will Never Be Defeated

1 user likes this post: HomerJSimpson

Van Dreamer
06 January 2020 10:21 pm

Hello everyone, is there somewhere online interactive map to see the desired area, whether there are free places to search.

Happiness exists!

Rockhunter62
07 January 2020 12:09 am

Van Dreamer wrote:

Hello everyone, is there somewhere online interactive map to see the desired area, whether there are free places to search.

Might help Van Dreamer if you let people know what state you are interested in.

Cheers

Doug

Forest Gump once said "life is like a detector going beep, you don't know what it is till you dig it up"

Van Dreamer
07 January 2020 02:50 am

Sorry, Western Australia.

Happiness exists!

Ded Driver
07 January 2020 03:12 am

When you get to WA you need to get a Miners Right from the Dept of Mines, & then find 'Pending Ground' on the Tengraph website
(The Miners Right is a legal requirement for Miners & Prospectors)
http://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/Documents/Mine … Rights.pdf
https://is2e1.dmp.wa.gov.au/nidp/idff/s … word%2Furi
There are Phone Apps available as well, such as the "Happy Prospector'

Last edited by Ded Driver (07 January 2020 03:13 am)

APLA member, GPX4000, modded SD2100, XTerra705, GM1000, Whites MXT Pro, Nokta Pointer, sP01 Enhancer, Garmin GPSMAP 64S, kti PLB, a map, all sorts of coils & a cupla buckets full of hope & enthusiasm

Van Dreamer
07 January 2020 03:17 am

Yes, thanks, I'm working on it now. big_smile

Happiness exists!

07 January 2020 12:53 pm

How long does a WA Miners Right last for ....
l purchased one in 1981 !!!!!!!!!!

madtuna
07 January 2020 01:04 pm

lifetime

If guns kill people, cutlery causes obesity. Sporks should be Cat D and have no place in suburbia
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL9zIt … KCVngVrjg?

mudgee hunter
07 January 2020 03:22 pm

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … .php?id=67
Your research should start here.
Before entertaining maps etc.
I suggest read it all in relevance to your state.
Feel free to quizz after more defined research.
But we can't do all your home work for you.
In no way having a shot at you at all.
But wow we get too many threads that are the same!
Have a good look at all the basic threads in your interested scopes. thumbsup
Almost like asking where can I pizz outside without being arrested for it.....

Last edited by mudgee hunter (07 January 2020 03:25 pm)

3 users like this post: LoneWolf, Banjo68, Gilly47

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site