Gold Signals.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is brilliant reading. My hubby is ready to throw away our detector (after only a few days out) as we are only finding rubbish. When hes a little happier I will try and get him to read all this information.

G'day

Sometimes what can sound like ground noise and you can be convinced that is what it is, can turn out to be a nugget or two, one time I visited an old patch that I was told about, where some good pieces were found, it had been very well worked and raked over, the place looked as though they had been very thorough working it but I thought well I am here now so might as well give it a shot.

While detecting this spot I came across a target response that was very iffy and vague and not particularly repeatable from any direction, prior to this a few feet away I had dug up some charcoal that had a similar sound so my first instinct was to walk away from it thinking it was more charcoal or just some more ground noises, anyway I ignored the urge to walk away and started to dig away at it, after getting down about 6" or so the signal was still there and becoming a little more like a signal, so continued digging and the signal developed into a broken response but was now a somewhat repeatable signal but a very strange sounding one, a little more digging and now a more solid signal but still odd sounding, the hole was about 18" deep and quite long by this time and from one end of the hole I plucked out a nice round solid nugget about 10 grams, on sticking the coil back in the hole as you do, and bang another completely solid target response about ten inches to away from where the other nugget was, it too was a very similar size, shape and weight as the first nugget.

What I think happened was that because these two nuggets were of similar size, and were at the same depth and only about ten inches apart, the detector was confused about the response it was getting back from them so it was not until I was very close to them that it could actually respond properly, lesson learnt with that one so the only way to know for sure is to dig everything until it either disappears or you can visually confirm what the target is.

cheers

stayyerAU

Shitsandgiggles
He's got the :poop: & you've got the giggles I guess? :playful:
rule 1.01 .... dig lots of rubbish
if you are finding tiny bits of lead shot, bullets, rusty flakes, aluminium, etc then you're on the right track. Just keep at it.
Its a game of patience, & a good mindset for hubby to adopt is to go out to enjoy a stroll in the shrubbery. :koala: :p
If you find gold or anything else of interest or value then that's a bonus.