Homemade sluice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking at making a reasonably cheap sluice using a bilge pump to recirculate the water. Has anyone made one that's a good sluice, I'm taking all the material from my own property some of which is from a stream and some from soil type material. I'm hoping to make it for around $150 seeing as the bilge pump is $39 I'm looking at getting materials that are easily obtained etc

A simple and extremely effective sluice can be made out of of PVC pipe cut lengthwise. The top 3 or 4 riffles fitted removable.
Bilge pump and dishwashing liquid added to water.
Connect both boxes with an overflow pipe so relatively dirt free water can be recirculated with pump. (Overflow pipe not shown in this pic. Approx 30 litres of water lasts about a week when camped remote.)

1577490874_archivepotos588.jpg

Thanks for the replies , I think I will get some dream mat. Do you generally use dream mat as part of the sluice e.g. a couple of rifles dream Matt then say some carpet? I think most of my gold (if I get any) will be small stuff

I think you will get 2 choices, 6" standand size cells, and now available in mini cells.
These are true 6" in width, not 150mm. Standard is about 72"s long I think.
That's all you will need,.
Best to make the " internal width 2mm under size than 2mm too wide.
He will also sell you the shell later on if you wish without the mat.
Or make your own up.
Either get it folded up, or use 50x25x3mm alloy angle. And a 6" strip of 1.6mm alloy sheet.
But for the extra couple of bucks,, consider getting the kit complete.
I believe the dream mat to be superior to riffles etc.
+ the dream mat is super fast to rinse and reset to go again.

That's awesome Nightjar :Y:

I love the way it's recirculating, and reuses the water. Could be extremely handy in a dry creek bed area I'd imagine. Now you've got me thinking, you could go just about anywhere with an IBC tank on the back of the trailer.

Just wondering though, why do you need to add dishwashing liquid?

Hi deepseeker, you use the detergent to break the surface tension of the water ,if you dont you will lose small gold as it will float,i use finish" rinse aide", it doe's not froth up as much,i put 2 drops to roughly 30 L of water ,works well with a recirculated sluice and a blue bowl :beer:

It is clever isn't it? It makes you realize with recirculating water, all you need is a tank of water and you can sluice anywhere.

That's it deepseeker,i let the water settle over night, use the bilge pump to empty the container with out disturbing the sludge in the bottom then empty the sludge ,then you have clean water to start again.I use a 40 L plastic pot from bunning's and sit a 20 L bucket in it to catch the gravel ,the water flow's out the top of the bucket and traps the gravel's so it keep's the pump from blocking up with gravel :Y:

Latest posts