New TDI SL Heating Issues?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, newbie here to the forum. Just recently i purchased a 2019 TDI SL new and have noticed that after about 30mins of use in warm weather (not hot) the detector will not ground balance and the threshold slowly gets louder. This dose not seem to happen as much at cooler temps. Has anyone else experienced this? Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Leth, as the machine warms up and 'settles' threshold may slightly alter. Components warm up etc, perfectly normal. Daytime temperatures etc may also play a part as does the type of battery pack used, eg 12v vs 16v. So yes when hunting the threshold may alter a bit, that is normal.
Failure to ground balance is either a faulty machine, operator error or ground so hot it won't allow you to balance the machine. Check your conductivity switch to make sure it is in ALL mode when ground balancing... The Tdi Sl has a very sensitive ground balance, listen for the high low audio response to assist you in getting it just right.
Get online and watch some of the Tdi SL videos to see how it is done, far better than the manual.
Let us know how you get on. Best of luck with your new machine Leth.. don't hesitate to to ask questions as it is a decent investment to make in a detector and it is important to enjoy your machine and not be frustrated by it..

Karelian

Thanks for the reply Karelian, Is more frustration than pleasure atm. Ive been in contact will Whites and they seem to think its a coil issue, ive tried about 10 different coils and it has done the same on each one, so its defiantly not a coil issue. When the detector is first turned on it will ground balance perfectly. Cheers.

A couple of years back Whites took some of their machines to Death Valley in the US and they took them to Antarctica So they should handle what ever Aus throws at them,

Sounds like you have another issue going on with that machine, It has 2 years warranty so I would send it back and get then to replace it, either way that is not how a TDI SL behaves. :Y:

Thanks Ridge Runner, I think that is the way to go. This Really has put me off purchasing any other Whites products. Think ill stick to my Minelabs. Cheers :Y:

It would help to know the location where this TDI SL is being used ..... I use a TDI BeachHunter (TDI SL in a waterproof box) with a 12" Dual field coil (not recommended for our gold fields)

The audio threshold have a drift (getting louder slowly) but so have all my Whites TDI PIs, I never use GB on mild ground and beach wet or dry and can use it (GB) on all the prospecting areas I have been to.

If there was a problem/issue with a new detector under warranty I would see the dealer it was purchased from first.

Latest posts