Separating Gold from Black Sands.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks mate i will send him a message.
1449742730_thumb.jpg

i just got quote to post 4 pans is $39 USD SO THAT WOULD MEAN $26USD EACH makes them awfully expensive pans then you would have to add aussie post on top to send them out , so not worth bulk deal, and his post is over $22usd on 1

yep that was very much the reply i got. The pan i feel is worth the money i have had one for years and I treat it with great respect. my advice is if you are just starting out stick with the Garret range you cant go wrong. ;)

cecc said:
Here's another interesting one by, 'Two Toes' the black sand bit starts about 10.30 or there abouts.

Yep, interesting video, Cecc. Chunky gold too, it's a bit harder with the fine stuff.

I had a look at his crevicing video, and that has a fair bit of useful info, particularly about barren vs promising crevices.

Thanks for the link.

DrDuck said:
cecc said:
Here's another interesting one by, 'Two Toes' the black sand bit starts about 10.30 or there abouts.

Yep, interesting video, Cecc. Chunky gold too, it's a bit harder with the fine stuff.

I had a look at his crevicing video, and that has a fair bit of useful info, particularly about barren vs promising crevices.

Thanks for the link.

My pleasure, yeah I like the crevicing one too.

Guys there is nothing like practice, I would recommend sitting down at home at some stage with a bit of wash and practice the back wash style. Do not wait till your out in the field to try your hand at it. Watching video clips is fine to get the idea but doing is the trick practice is the key. Cheers. J.

Right on Jembai, i do nearly everyday, from my big tub and the wash in the bottom, I'll get the Turbo Pan out and give it a whirl, yes keeping very fine gold, then I'll get some of the wash with my crevice sucker put it through my bucket classifier just like I would do in the field, then get my Garrett prospector out and go for it. Still finding small color in my tub after panning. So good to have that safety tub.

Jujst last night in my kitchen, I have the super sluice with wash from Eldorado Gold, (Tom) and it has black sand, so i'll scoop some into my little black pan while waiting for dinner and watching tele, and practice panning, and getting down to the black sand, and slowly washing it out. And yes I have some find gold still left in it, I leave it there to purposely see if I can keep it.

This helps me a lot.

Len

It has never really bothered me panning out the black sand the old fashioned way ,but this bloke has an interesting tool to extract the black sand .

Does anyone else use magnets to separate the sand from the rest of the material ?

robmoto said:
Back in my dredging days Iused to use a magnet from a large speaker from a sterio and put it in a sandwich bag, just pull the bag off to releace the black sands and heavy minerals .

I'm not into panning but I keep my rare earth magnet in my pill bottle. I just have to shake the bottle to clear the iron off.

I do at time's just starting ,i made my own, just push down with the thumb to operate it,some area's here when you get down to the last desert spoon full or two, at least 80% is magnetic black sand's, i spread it over the bottom of the pan and pick it up with the magnet save's a lot of time as some of it is quite heavy :Y:

I tried that but the gold still stuck to the magnet...

Maybe to much black sand in mine ...

Goody

The magnet is in a poly tube goody ,the plunger is on a spring ,push down to collect the black sand's, move it to another dish release the plunger the magnet slide's up in the tube and releases the sand, they are easy to make cost about $10 about 3 years ago to make 2 of them. :D

I have all ready tried this but the fine gold still stick to it...

1578182509_img_20200105_103907-2432x1368.jpg

Tried a earth magnet as well...

Goody

Latest posts