"A lovely little button"

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tassie Daz

Darryl Rowley
Reaction score
1578055182_20200103_225059.jpg

Every now and then we find a pearla, that sometimes is even more significant than a bunhead or KGV.
My last "pearla" was a cruddy old button with much significance, because you see it even predates the recognised Militia of our area. The 81st Wakefield was formed and disbanded by 1914 and the "troops" were all absorbed into 10Bat.
Prior to all this, the settlers banded together in "volunteer" groups and called SA Volunteers. I gather there were "rifles", "artillery", etc etc.
The button I found at a permission recently dates to 1860 - 70 was made by Bertram and Cornish.
The button is 23mm in diam, hollow backed and this one shows some of the original gilt covering.
What a surprise. Did I tell ya,
blimey, I love detecting.

Nice find. Great history behind it too. Being a gold nugget chaser it's easy to forget what other great items are lurking down there in the ground. I'd be very happy to find something like that. :Y:

Deepseeker said:
Nice find. Great history behind it too. Being a gold nugget chaser it's easy to forget what other great items are lurking down there in the ground. I'd be very happy to find something like that. :Y:

Yes we're guilty of walking over old treasure every day. We have some bougainvillea down our boundary fence. Many years ago the neighbor hit with his hedge trimmer and left the tangled off-cuts on his side of the fence. Mrs M asked him if she (she & me) can clean it up. He's not been well so said to just pop over whenever you like.

On Thursday it was forecast to be 43 for most of the day so I decided it would be too hot to do my concrete pond lining. What I should have said "It's too hot to work outside" but something went wrong. By 8:30 she was up a dressed with long trousers and long sleeves and secateurs in hand and I heard the "Would you like to help?"

It wasn't too bad, the off-cuts were like old lantana. It easily broke up. The worst part was that it had been tangled together before drying out so when you pulled one branch they all tried to follow. It only took about an hour and a half to break it up, rake it up and throw it all over the front fence.

Yesterday she was at it again, I'm not used to this morning person, "Lets get that stuff to the dump." So I backed up the big van and stretched out an old tarp inside. Two loads and the whole job was tidied up and the neighbor invited us in for a cuppa too :)

The problem came when we it was time to return. Mrs M couldn't bring herself to drive back past all those old relics from a century ago so when returning from Cue Bunno on the first trip she asked if she could be dropped off along the road next trip. So on the next trip I just dropped he off to wander about with pick & bucket :)

Unloading the bougainvillea was as easy as dragging the tarp out the back and then turning it over so that was over in a jiffy and I couldn't bring myself to pick up Mrs M after just a few minutes so I went for a little peek at what others had donated recently ;)

I couldn't believe it. I'm building a fish pond and somebody dropped me off a big sand filter.

1578101137_water_filter.jpg

I thought I could just back up to it and throw it in the back. It was way too heavy so I set up a ramp but still it was too heavy. I had to return home for the toolbox and release the sand. That fixed that problem but while I was at it somebody donated one of those big square 1000L IBC containers. Perfect for a holding tank for my fish so I had to grab that as well.

By then Mrs M was well and truly cooked from wandering about in the sun so I picked her up with her little bundle of treasure and a smile on he face and returned home. It felt good to get back out and do a little treasure hunting. We could do it more often but we only have a quarter acre block here :8

Latest posts