A question about where I can fossick NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm hoping to do some more detecting and fossicking soon. I'm all loaded up with maps, and I have been doing a fair amount of reading on the web. What I've read is that I can fossick on crown land, but I need permission first; is this right? Does that mean that to metal detect and fossick on the beach, that I need to seek permission from the local council first?

I'm also trying to find out what areas are just off limits, like cemeteries. What other areas should one not practice this hobby?

Thanks in advance!!

HomerJSimpson said:
Hi everyone

I'm hoping to do some more detecting and fossicking soon. I'm all loaded up with maps, and I have been doing a fair amount of reading on the web. What I've read is that I can fossick on crown land, but I need permission first; is this right? Does that mean that to metal detect and fossick on the beach, that I need to seek permission from the local council first?

I'm also trying to find out what areas are just off limits, like cemeteries. What other areas should one not practice this hobby?

Thanks in advance!!
Need to know which state you're in as each has different rules and regulations.

bicter said:
HomerJSimpson said:
Hi everyone

Thanks in advance!!
Need to know which state you're in as each has different rules and regulations.

Sorry, good point!

I'm in New South Wales

Power stations, nuclear reactors, hospitals, police stations, banks, supermarkets, public toilets, sea world, airport tarmacs, public swimming pools.....
The list of where you can detect might be shorter.

madtuna said:
Power stations, nuclear reactors, hospitals, police stations, banks, supermarkets, public toilets, sea world, airport tarmacs, public swimming pools.....
The list of where you can detect might be shorter.

You could be right! My work background involved lots of policies and procedures, so I'm not to bad at finding ways to get out of things, but from what I have read so far, we always need permission from the land holder or from whoever is managing that area. So from this, it reads to me that it's almost as though the only places we can do our hobby without getting permission first, are the places that have been stipulated by the NSW Forestry Commission. Other than those areas, we just have private land once permission has been granted.

If my conclusions above are not correct or you know of a law etc that suggests different, please share.

I'm very new to this hobby, I'm not at all trying to stir up issues; I've been bending the rules all my life and an happy to continue, but I don't want my son getting in trouble for anything. Hope I'm making sense.

Homer with the present bush fire situation, many state parks are going to be closed and many other areas that are open to camping and fossicking will likely be affected as well.
Places you could look at are, Stuart Town common for detecting and places such as Ophir , Nundle , the Turon River or Tuena for panning and sluicing.
But I am guessing that some of these places will also have restrictions due to the fires ..
Try a google search of the place names + camping fossicking that should bring up information to start your research.

Hello everyone, is there somewhere online interactive map to see the desired area, whether there are free places to search.

How long does a WA Miners Right last for ....
l purchased one in 1981 !!!!!!!!!!

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=67
Your research should start here.
Before entertaining maps etc.
I suggest read it all in relevance to your state.
Feel free to quizz after more defined research.
But we can't do all your home work for you.
In no way having a shot at you at all.
But wow we get too many threads that are the same!
Have a good look at all the basic threads in your interested scopes. :Y:
Almost like asking where can I pizz outside without being arrested for it.....