Status of Creek reports at Tuena

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last time I was there (three weeks ago) It was dry as. I actually haven't seen that dry before. You can definitely get some panning in if you are happy to use the puddles, but no sluicing.

Are there any warnings from the older diggers here? Do I need to ask at the general store, where I can enter the creek, how far I can walk up or down stream, etc etc? I imagine close to town would be flogged.

Baz.

I stayed a night at Tuena about 2 weeks back.
Woman at the General Store simply advised me to prospect up and down the creek - though she seemed to believe it wasn't likely I would find anything.
I had a short poke around at a few places - but stayed quite close to the camping area.
Next time I would try further up and downstream.
Don't forget your gum boots - like someone :( did - panning in muddy/stagnant puddles mean these boots are essential

196.97 said:
Woman at the General Store simply advised me to prospect up and down the creek - though she seemed to believe it wasn't likely I would find anything.
I had a short poke around at a few places - but stayed quite close to the camping area.
Don't forget your gum boots - like someone :( did - panning in muddy/stagnant puddles mean these boots are essential

Thanks mate. Good advice. I will explore further.

Baz.

Thanks guys. I went yesterday. Tuena creek has a few puddles, but is mostly dry. A bit of rubbish scattered around which was sad to see.

The Abercrombie river campground has rubbish scattered everywhere and I've never seen so much dunny paper. Clumps of it everywhere, particularly in the bushes along the water's edge. Disgusting.

Other than that, it was a lovely day exploring and getting to know another gold district.

Baz.

Sandbagger said:
196.97 said:

Thanks mate. Good advice. I will explore further.

Baz.

Try south of the Bookkeepers cottage. There are layers of clay in the creek that will hold the passing alluvial. Dig down and scrape horizontally along the top of the clay. Puddle that up in your pan.

AussieChris said:
Was thinking of going for a drive down there tomorrow for an explore, Trunkey>>Abercrombie>>Tuena. Happy to take some pics :Y:

Please do sir! I want to go back there next Saturday and continue exploring.

Baz.

Had a look around when passing that way yesterday , not much water around and is pretty stagnant and smelly, they had some nearby storms a little while back but i dont think much at Tuena itself, more to west from what I could gather, certainly could do with some good rain, like everywhere else at moment.

Was at tuena for 3 weeks, during that time we had heavy smoke from the fires then had some rain and then had the creek flood, was good times, flood was backed up water from the ridge, was odd watching the water flow the wrong way up the creek

G'day hope every one is well in TUENA missing that place crazy and the and most people and visitors hope every one is staying warm down there dave an Allen hope u guys are finding lots too well kind regards to all st a y safe Adam

Latest posts