Have been given hard rock gold mine shares.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day,

I have been given shares in a hardrock mine from my late Grandfather. I have no interest in selling or making money, but I finally had a look the the emails they have sent for the past couple of years.

The mine is over near Coolagardie and at their best of the 4 mines is producing 2.58g per tonne, I just have a lot of trouble with the wording and I know bugger all about this sort of stuff. What is NE striking compared to a SE striking?, what is dextral throw?. What does another exploration update have?

I would really appreciate some advice, or some guidance of where I could research :Y:

Maybe PM Goldierocks for more in-depth explanations. He would explain it much better than I.

Strike - direction of vein NE North East SE South East
Not sure but think whether it's NE - SE is to do with the dip of the vein being either to east or west.

Dextral throw would be a type of faulting.

Another Exploration update will contain information on any exploration work carried out over a period. Depending on the extent of the exploration it should give exploration results as levels of geological knowledge & confidence:
Inferred - low level
Indicated - medium level
Measured - high level

Don't quote me but I'm inclined to read NE & SE as North East & South East and my understanding of Dexstral Throw is as Jethro says :Y: :lol: first I've ever heard of the word.

87 Hilux said:
G'day,

I have been given shares in a hardrock mine from my late Grandfather. I have no interest in selling or making money, but I finally had a look the the emails they have sent for the past couple of years.

The mine is over near Coolagardie and at their best of the 4 mines is producing 2.58g per tonne, I just have a lot of trouble with the wording and I know bugger all about this sort of stuff. What is NE striking compared to a SE striking?, what is dextral throw?. What does another exploration update have?

I would really appreciate some advice, or some guidance of where I could research :Y:

Gday Hilux,

First and foremost, commiserations on the loss of your Grandfather.

Regarding things geological, I might be able to help you out a bit.

When you say youve had a look at the emails theyve sent for the past couple of years, do you mean private emails from a small syndicate? Or is this a listed company were talking about and you mean announcements released to the ASX? Theyd be very different things. Any listed company is required to update the market regarding significant activities and this would be what they mean by another exploration update.

The strike of a geological feature means the orientation in which it runs across the ground. NE striking means its orientated north-east to south-west on the ground.
SE striking means the feature runs south-east to north-west.

Dextral refers to a right handed sense of movement across a fault or shear.
So if youre standing on one side of a fault looking at the ground on the other side of it, THAT ground will have moved to the right relative to the ground youre standing on.

Hope this helps.
If youve got any more questions, feel free to PM me.
Or post them here if theyre not confidential so others can learn too :Y:

Regards,
Zengeo

87 Hilux said:
Thankyou for the replies guys, this is a massive learning curve for me to learn all jargon of what is reported. I appreciate every relpy and your guys words are making it a lot clearer :Y:
How to see into the ground
1568801529_1499502_518323881609683_1141036691_n.jpg

1568801546_1979693_518323744943030_717033456_n.jpg

20xwater said:
87 Hilux said:
Thankyou for the replies guys, this is a massive learning curve for me to learn all jargon of what is reported. I appreciate every relpy and your guys words are making it a lot clearer :Y:
How to see into the ground
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...1529_1499502_518323881609683_1141036691_n.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...01546_1979693_518323744943030_717033456_n.jpg

Thankyou 20xwater, that diagram helps me a lot. To read stuff but then have a visual concept of it is great. :Y:

Another approach is to Google "xyz resources pty ltd" (or whatever their name is) 2019 quarter/annual report or balance sheet.
This will give you some very decent info as to where you stand with your holdings.
Very few of even the larger gold miners issue a share dividend from profits, mainly relying on quarterly reports etc. to fluctuate share pricing.

Could be a very interesting time for you getting a close up into the industry.