QED PL2 on a Detect-Ed Red-Belly Black Carbon Fibre Shaft

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1576136764_20191212_184446.jpg
Hi all,

Just thought I'd share some photos of my QED mounted on a Detect-Ed carbon fibre straight shaft.

Feels great swinging it around the yard, keen to have a real go this weekend!

1576136848_screenshot_20191212-184639_gallery.jpg

1576136942_screenshot_20191212-184754_gallery.jpg

Cheers
Styles9423

Styles9423, that looks like a great setup. What handle are you using, and how do you have the readout box attached? Please give us some more information on how you have set this up please.

Reg Wilson said:
Styles9423, that looks like a great setup. What handle are you using, and how do you have the readout box attached? Please give us some more information on how you have set this up please.

Thanks,

It's an unreal shaft. Using a standard minelab GP handle, I did try to find the whites tower handle (I think it is) I filled out the email form on QED website but didn't hear anything back, so the minelab was all I could find.

For mounting the control box I cut the top off the handle (top 10mm is just decorative) and then epoxied the readout box on (I may have also removed the display/buttons from the 3D printed enclosure and added two small screws back into the handle - but I certainly didn't do this if it voids warranty :lol: )

I'll give it a good workout this weekend and report back, if the mount isn't strong enough I'll have to dust off my 3D printer.

Styles9423, I really have to hand it to you. I think that this could be a deluxe option for QED, and I would not worry about voiding warranty as you have done nothing to jeopardize the integrity of the QED electronics which is what your warranty covers.
Do you think it could be possible to incorporate internal wiring seeing as how this is now being done with the Whites 'tower' handle option. Howard has a readout box that is used with the Whites tower handle and maybe this could be used in conjunction with your new setup.
I just love the concept, and have contemplated something very much like this for what I would call the PL2 Pro option.
Please continue with your experimental model and keep us up to date with developments.
Well done, cheers, Reg.

Reg Wilson said:
Styles9423, I really have to hand it to you. I think that this could be a deluxe option for QED, and I would not worry about voiding warranty as you have done nothing to jeopardize the integrity of the QED electronics which is what your warranty covers.
Do you think it could be possible to incorporate internal wiring seeing as how this is now being done with the Whites 'tower' handle option. Howard has a readout box that is used with the Whites tower handle and maybe this could be used in conjunction with your new setup.
I just love the concept, and have contemplated something very much like this for what I would call the PL2 Pro option.
Please continue with your experimental model and keep us up to date with developments.
Well done, cheers, Reg.

Hi Reg,

Thanks for your encouragement. A pro option would be great, the other awesome thing is Detec-Ed shafts are Australian! Perfect combo!
I definitely think the internal cable is possible here as the minelab handle can also run that green minelab press button ontop of the handle, it would just be a matter of running the cable up the shaft and back to the main unit. I am curious to see how the whites handle does this, and still would like to get my hands on one to see if it's a better solution.

Cheers
Styles

How's the fit of the coil on the shaft?
I'd suggested these shafts for the QED a few months ago & was also interested for the GPX.
The thinking was that the shafts being made for the Equinox wouldn't suit PI type coils?
The manufscturer said he would need to redesign a seperate shaft altogether to suit the GPX.

Looks good! :Y:

Hi Mbasko,

The NF Sadie coil I'm running on it fits perfectly. All I had to do was buy those triangle shaped minelab coil rubber washers. Detect-Ed has a pack that has various sizes so the fit is perfect. :Y:

I went for a swing today, and apart from the cicadas being almost deafening it was good.

With the NF Sadie coil the shaft felt very well balanced and for 2 hours of swinging I felt no fatigue.

Unfortunately all I managed was nails and bits of rusty metal, still good fun though. I did test pan a spot that looked good and managed 0.1g from 4 pans :goldpan: So I'm keen to go back there and have a proper go.

Overall very happy with the shaft/handle setup.

Latest posts