More on Bush Power

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Occasional_panner said:
RR, that video is 21 min, I'm not spending that amount of time listening to how much of a goose someone is.

Basically if someone buys a $1000-$4000 battery and hooks it up without reading the manufacturers instructions on what is needed to charge it, then they stuff it up, well serves em right.

Listening to some bloke on the net or some 16 y/o clown in an auto parts store doesn't cut it.

It might actually be a good idea for people who have no clue to get a auto elec to set it up for them.

Often people that try to save themselves some money doing it themselves end up costing themselves way more.

Well that's up to you whether you watch it or not,

The guy in the video is well versed when it comes to his setup, He changed his batteries to 2 X 100Ah Lithium batteries and he bought all the correct Victron equipment but the batteries were not performing as they should either and some of the Victron monitor equipment the company sold him is not compatible with lithium batteries and his batteries failed to charge, End result is he went back to using 2 X 120Ah AGM and no more problems,

I use a 120Ah Enerdrive Li with inbuilt battery management. Sits in an ArkPak730 Battery Box.
Charged from Alternator through a RedArc BCDC1225 DC-DC charger (set to Li batteries) which also accepts a solar input as a priority.
Half the weight of AGM equivalents (I have a damaged back), very little self drainage, and 65% more useful Ah without hurting the battery.
Much longer stated life cycles.
A great piece of kit, but somewhat pricey. I have gone for lightweight kit with a sore back, but am dam glad that I have!!!

basically, we have 3 options
1: Lithium battery + compatible DC-DC charger for big bucks, but is much lighter
or
2: AGM/LC Battery +compatible charger setup (DC-DC or otherwise) for half the price, but double the weight
or
3: run a dual purpose Cranking/Aux battery & keep a very close eye on your state of charge.

Ded Driver said:
1: Lithium battery + compatible DC-DC charger for big bucks, but is much lighter
or
2: AGM/LC Battery +compatible charger setup (DC-DC or otherwise) for half the price, but double the weight
or
3: run a dual purpose Cranking/Aux battery & keep a very close eye on your state of charge.

I like them Dometic Portable Packs they seem to be working good on the ARB and the little 18L fridge, I like that I can take em anywhere and power anything, But the best bit is I haven't had to mess with the OE system in the Car, And if the Car battery goes flat I got the big NOCO Boost to get it started again :Y:

Ded Driver said:
or
or

The lithium alternative, in the form of Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4), is getting cheaper all the time and given the much higher number of recharges (typically 2,000+) and much greater depth of possible discharge, is now line-ball with and probably ahead of the cost per recharge of AGM/gel and other insanely heavy lead acid types.

I just picked up a 75Ah LiFePO4 12V battery for $450 on eBay and am looking forward to trialling it in the bush over Xmas/New Year. It only weighs 5-6kg, so no more risk of hernia moving it around. :Y:

big bucks lithium may be :eek:

but consider you will see your way through 3-4 maybe more lead agm's in the "life time" of a single lithium :perfect: :money:

new generation lithium such as Invicta :inlove: are drop in replacement :cool: :power: :perfect:

the bluetooth features are built in :heart:

where as you will pay upward of $300 to get the same info from an add on , such as a victron bmv702 :Y:

so thinking of the plus sides to lithium the bitterness of price is far offset by the sweetness of functionality :cool: :power: :power:

Grubstake, your Xmas trial will be eagerly awaited. This battery type and price is now well in the range of replacing a 100AH AGM in a 4x4. Lighter, more usable power and a similar price.

What will you be charging it with? :)

condor22 said:
Grubstake, your Xmas trial will be eagerly awaited. This battery type and price is now well in the range of replacing a 100AH AGM in a 4x4. Lighter, more usable power and a similar price.

I'm keen to hear how it pan's out, sure is a reasonable price for the life expectancy.

condor22 said:

Exactly - in five years time I'd guess that lead acids will be extinct for recreational/back-up purposes.

My one is going into an Ark Pak AP730 battery box (which is identical to the Engel Series II and the Thunder TDR16 battery boxes). This model has added LiFePO4 charging capability to its menus/firmware, although I'm not even sure that these latest lithiums even care - they all claim to have inbuilt Battery Management Systems that make them a plug and play substitute for the old lead acids.

grubstake said:
condor22 said:

Exactly - in five years time I'd guess that lead acids will be extinct for recreational/back-up purposes.

My one is going into an Ark Pak AP730 battery box (which is identical to the Engel Series II and the Thunder TDR16 battery boxes). This model has added LiFePO4 charging capability to its menus/firmware, although I'm not even sure that these latest lithiums even care - they all claim to have inbuilt Battery Management Systems that make them a plug and play substitute for the old lead acids.

Thinking ya wont look back after using it for a bit grubstake,there a good thing for the bush,they run rings around conventional batteries.....

grubstake said:
I just picked up a 75Ah LiFePO4 12V battery for $450 on eBay and am looking forward to trialling it in the bush over Xmas/New Year. It only weighs 5-6kg, so no more risk of hernia moving it around. :Y:
it will make you smile :cool:

So, the expected 40C in Adelaide today, so far is above 38C in town. However I'm near the beach.

I went out about 2 hours ago, the outside temp was 34C, but my fridge thermometer in the car showed the temp in the car at 49+C.

I'd expect that to be much higher if it was 40+C outside,

So for those running Lithium, how do they react to being charged at higher temps? :)

That's a great deal for a Lithium battery of that size, good luck let us know how it works for you,

Because there are So many types of batteries out there now , I bought a few of the NOCO smart Chargers, the G3500 and the G15000 and for bigger batteries I got the G26000, These things also have a boost start mode, which can be used in an emergency up to Twice in 24 hours, The G15000 will Start a Semi and So will the G26000

But for jump starting this week I just bought the NOCO Boost Pro GB150 and the GB70 as a backup,

Here a short video of the NOCO G26000 Battery Charger "In Australia" It's Beast of a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cu_nxZvEyA

And here's a Video of the G15000 Charger starting a Semi,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z0y5-xpIc4

condor22 said:
So, the expected 40C in Adelaide today, so far is above 38C in town. However I'm near the beach.

I went out about 2 hours ago, the outside temp was 34C, but my fridge thermometer in the car showed the temp in the car at 49+C.

So for those running Lithium, how do they react to being charged at higher temps? :)

40c shouldnt effect them,why has someone had troubles in the heat with them?

Goldchaser1 said:
condor22 said:

80 and over might be a drama :8

haven't heard anyone with heat worries :cool:

I read that the Storage and use Temps for Lithium batteries varied from -20 to 50*c depending on the brand, ??

ctxkid said:
Goldchaser1 said:
condor22 said:

80 and over might be a drama :8

haven't heard anyone with heat worries :cool:

Im a bit sceptical ctx on how theyd go under a bonnet in our summer temps,we put one in our quad last year,its goin ok,sees more heat then the camper batteries.....

Goldchaser1 said:
Im a bit sceptical ctx on how theyd go under a bonnet in our summer temps,we put one in our quad last year,its goin ok,sees more heat then the camper batteries.....
the under bonnet lithium is not a reality yet , it is on the horizon
motorcycles and quads and stuff are a different story , i have them in all my big bikes and so far they are amasing
when they get them right for cars , it will be a real game changer

I tried a Lithium one in my Suzi GSX1400.
Great for starting but few Ahs, so if you need to stop with parkers and hazards on, you don't have very long.
Maybe that's also changed now, but very few (none that I could find) would advertise their Ah, only their CCA.

Thinking they would have to be rated about 100C to go next to a motor!
Gets Bloody hot under there. Even then, at 100c top rated, it would be getting on its limits.
Mind you, those little BMW coupes have their battery in the boot.
And they don't even come with a Jack or a spare tyre! :eek: