CTX3030 Versus Equinox

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MetalDetectDave said:
Ridge Runner said:
You can't compare these two machines because they are totally different Tech, One is a Hi Speed machine and the other has a very high discrimination level that is fine tuneable,

Neither one is better than the other and you just because one costs more does not mean it's better or because one is cheaper does not mean it is not as good, They both have their areas where one excels over the other,

You can't buy either machine by asking which one is better, First off you need to be exact about you intended needs/usage of the machine and only then can you say which one is better, But that only applies if you have been honest with your self about your intended use for said machine,

If you wanted to look for Gold or high value targets like coin etc in hi trash areas then you would need the NOX, but is you wanted to look for coins and jewellery and beach detect for those Items then the CTX would be the better Choice, Then just to bugger the thought patterns up you then have to factor in Ones state of health and Age, then add to that do you like playing with computers and programs or do you want a machine that you can switch on tweak a few setting and get in to it etc,

Get one thing straight Neither machine is better than the other and neither machine is doing anything we couldn't do 10 years ago, The question you should be asking "Your Self" is which one will suit me Best, There's No bad machine, There's Just the wrong machine or Bad Operators,

Buy with your Head not your Heart and Match the Machine To your intended Task,

That's how you buy a Detector, Anything else is just BS or one upmanship trying to up stage the next Guy and doing that will result in your Tears and no one elses.

Hope that helps.

Good post ridgerunner .Like what you said about buy with your head and not your heart .i ended up getting the Nox because i just wanted something light and fast .But i can see that both are good machines for sure .

Personally I would have gone with the NOX because I don't like fussing around and the NOX is a very hot machine and well worth the money out of all the modern VLF/Mid frequency machines out there it is as good as any and even better in some cases because of it hi speed recovery you can search a lot of ground in a short time compared to a FBS type machine, So well done, Learn it and learn it well and you will clean up, it s great machine for sure.

Good luck and have fun, :Y:

Ridge Runner said:
MetalDetectDave said:
Ridge Runner said:
You can't compare these two machines because they are totally different Tech, One is a Hi Speed machine and the other has a very high discrimination level that is fine tuneable,

Neither one is better than the other and you just because one costs more does not mean it's better or because one is cheaper does not mean it is not as good, They both have their areas where one excels over the other,

You can't buy either machine by asking which one is better, First off you need to be exact about you intended needs/usage of the machine and only then can you say which one is better, But that only applies if you have been honest with your self about your intended use for said machine,

If you wanted to look for Gold or high value targets like coin etc in hi trash areas then you would need the NOX, but is you wanted to look for coins and jewellery and beach detect for those Items then the CTX would be the better Choice, Then just to bugger the thought patterns up you then have to factor in Ones state of health and Age, then add to that do you like playing with computers and programs or do you want a machine that you can switch on tweak a few setting and get in to it etc,

Get one thing straight Neither machine is better than the other and neither machine is doing anything we couldn't do 10 years ago, The question you should be asking "Your Self" is which one will suit me Best, There's No bad machine, There's Just the wrong machine or Bad Operators,

Buy with your Head not your Heart and Match the Machine To your intended Task,

That's how you buy a Detector, Anything else is just BS or one upmanship trying to up stage the next Guy and doing that will result in your Tears and no one elses.

Hope that helps.

Good post ridgerunner .Like what you said about buy with your head and not your heart .i ended up getting the Nox because i just wanted something light and fast .But i can see that both are good machines for sure .

Personally I would have gone with the NOX because I don't like fussing around and the NOX is a very hot machine and well worth the money out of all the modern VLF/Mid frequency machines out there it is as good as any and even better in some cases because of it hi speed recovery you can search a lot of ground in a short time compared to a FBS type machine, So well done, Learn it and learn it well and you will clean up, it s great machine for sure.

Good luck and have fun, :Y:

Thanks ridgerunner .Ill be sure to post some finds when i start becoming competent with the machine :) .

Good for you, Just get in to it and have fun that and having good company is the real Treasure of Detecting, :Y:

Pros and cons re all machines BUT the biggest variable is the USER.

Some just want plug and play and DIG everything. Others are more focused on the skills and understanding the machine but that also means understanding some physics and how things actually work = too much effort for many.

NOX and many others are light and not a bad balance, while the CTX3030 is significantly heaver.

But its ability to discriminate in the hands of a experienced user is what still puts the CTX3030 above the rest, I still think some minor tweaks could be done but it has stood the test of time.

The big plus in my books is that you can customize it and make changes via the XChange2 application. So much easier than 101 button presses. It also means that if I do a full reset it is simple to get back those custom profiles. And when using the tracking function, easy to review the actual area covered and where the good targets were. Always handy to look on the PC afterwards and check the target and all the detail for that target as it records the target info. A few time I have re done a place and only after checking realized I had changed settings and thus; another variable as to why I may have missed or found new things.

So many assumptions are made as to settings and finds; without hard data to actually confirm what was the key factor and the tracking option gives you that info. And for any of my contract/security/police work, the tracking is the key feature as it is real time and a true record of where the machine has been.

Had a NOX 800 for a while but it was not the backup I needed.

Would maybe have a NOX 600 as a quick go to and stashed in the car for those quick spur of the moment swings but a few new machines out now that could give it a run for the $ on the beach/wet sand and better discrimination.

Then again, I rarely get out for fun these days. As when it becomes a job the whole focus changes.

AngerManagement said:
Would maybe have a NOX 600 as a quick go to and stashed in the car for those quick spur of the moment swings but a few new machines out now that could give it a run for the $ on the beach/wet sand and better discrimination.

Be curious to know which ones AM.

Latest posts