Garrett AT Pro information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same as above, using Accupower AA's and 9v in both my detectors and pinpointers. Why waste money on throwaways, when some good quality rechargeables will keep you for a long time, and much more economical, especially if using throwaway Energizers and Duracells all the time.

I also purchased the AccuManager 20 charging station from Nenad, come with a 12v lead as well for use in the field. ;)

So we all know that we get over-charged for everything here in Aus, so my question is, would you buy from a Garrett dealer overseas or pay the extra to buy one from home?
If you look at the American sites you get the detector plus the bonus pack for about $300 less than here. As for the differences between the US and International version's, I'm sure I could adapt to the different tone's and from what I read, most guy's go by the numbers anyway.
As a newbie to detecting, any genuine feed-back would be much appreciated.
Thank's
Steve

Garrett do not allow their US dealers to sell to Australia. I assume this is to protect the Aussie dealers. Of course there are some who will ship over here and there are other ways to buy from the US.

Mine came from the US before the ban was in place and is a US model. Some people say the US model is better suited to Australian coins.

Here is a topic explaining the differences between the US and International models.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=256

Ty RJ,
I had read that thread and that was what tempted me to look at the US versions. I have friends in the states who I can have it shipped to and who will then on-ship to me so getting one here wont be an issue.
I was wondering if I would run into issues with warranty if needed, or anything like that.
Anyone who has tried this and has experience to share, please feel free to chime in.

You may have issues with warranty but I am not sure. Maybe call the Garrett Australia people and ask? I haven't had any issues with my Pro but I know a guy who just paid about $800 to have a new mother board installed.

I was quoted up to $900. to have it fixed before it was pulled apart and inspected. So I sent it away for inspection and they said it would cost

$444.oo for a new mother board and $16.00 for p&h. If I didn't want to repair it, it was going to cost $75.00 for the inspection alone.

cheers Rob

Ramjet said:
You may have issues with warranty but I am not sure. Maybe call the Garrett Australia people and ask? I haven't had any issues with my Pro but I know a guy who just paid about $800 to have a new mother board installed.

Generally most local resellers of US detectors here in Oz will not touch personally imported units (with regards to warranty). Most likely you will need to send it back to the place of purchase, or or pay for garrett to carry out any repairs here in Oz. Is it worth it, that's up to the individual, though I have never had the requirement to send any of my VLF detectors away for repairs so far (including my second hand purchases). Should something go wrong with your imported detector, the shipping fees to and from the US may well erode any initial savings from buying abroad, and don't forget about import fees and taxes on items over $1000. The government is also looking to make changes by adding GST to any imported products soon, so also have to keep that in mind.

Dealers in the US aren't meant to sell new detectors to Australian buyers, although some get around that by selling them as demo units (ie. the factory sealed box has been opened).

All a bit annoying really, as many prefer the US coin range on their detectors vs the international versions with an expanded iron range and condensed ID number range for coins typically found here.

Hi Goldpick,

Does that mean that all AT pro's sold here in Aus are only "Australian" models or the "International" models?

I am thinking the US model for Kato as she is possibly going to get a reward for her school grades this year.

Sent an email to Ramjet for some info on comparing the AT pro and CTX 3030, I believe he owns both.

Hi , just wanted to get peoples thoughts on the Garrett AT Pro, I want to get another detector for coins and beach/park detecting, dont want to spend a bucket of money, I have a GP 3000 I use for gold, what does everyone think about these?

Cheers,
Mike

They're old technology (so don't waste money on a new one), but quite effective in dry sand beach areas, as the iron identification works particularly well, in my experience. They're only single-frequency, so not much cop in wet sand though. I don't know about parks - never tried - but should be OK, I'd guess. The small coil is much better balanced than the (standard) large one.

grubstake said:
They're old technology (so don't waste money on a new one), but quite effective in dry sand beach areas, as the iron identification works particularly well, in my experience. They're only single-frequency, so not much cop in wet sand though. I don't know about parks - never tried - but should be OK, I'd guess. The small coil is much better balanced than the (standard) large one.

Thanks Grubstake would love to get a Equinox 600 but dont think I want to spend the extra dollars to get one, if I was closer to the gold fields I wouldnt contemplate getting another detector but would like to do some detecting around home.

If the budget's tight, now the Equinox has arrived there's plenty of cheap X-Terra 705's coming up for sale, which I imagine would be similar to the AT Pro in effectiveness. Keep an eye on Gumtree.

Perhaps visit lost treasures Brisbane and see what New Waterproof detector can be obtained for less than $500.

As above, Makro Nokta Simplex + has nearly all the features and performance of the AT Pro for nearly half the price with wireless headphones, or under half the price without the wireless headphones. Features it has over the AT Pro include screen and keypad backlighting, internal lithium battery, vibrating handle, iron audio with volume control, wireless headphone capability, USB updateable, lighter weight, and LED torch.

That's a pretty impressive set of features for an extremely low price, and they don't skimp on performance either for a waterproof budget priced detector. The AT Pro is really overpriced considering how old the platform is now - although it is a popular detector, it would be more attractive if a few hundred was knocked off the current retail price in Oz.

Goldpick said:
As above, Makro Nokta Simplex + has nearly all the features and performance of the AT Pro for nearly half the price with wireless headphones, or under half the price without the wireless headphones. Features it has over the AT Pro include screen and keypad backlighting, internal lithium battery, vibrating handle, iron audio with volume control, wireless headphone capability, USB updateable, lighter weight, and LED torch.

That's a pretty impressive set of features for an extremely low price, and they don't skimp on performance either for a waterproof budget priced detector. The AT Pro is really overpriced considering how old the platform is now - although it is a popular detector, it would be more attractive if a few hundred was knocked off the current retail price in Oz.

Goldpick, this looks like a great machine for the price thanks for letting me know, do you have one of these?

Goldpick said:

Hi Goldpick, it looks like I could get a Equinox 600 for $500 new, which one would you take? The nokta Makro simplex + or the equinox 600.

Cheers.

Latest posts