Pump buggy

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your Presumptuous unfounded pathetic posts again.....
A brand new unused pump.......
Fire fighting.....
Or getting ready for the clarification on using pumps in nsw etc....
That is TOTALLY within my rights to OWN AND BUILD !
TOTALLY LEGAL %$#@
Perhaps a red ball in the mouth can't stop one posting.....
I thinking one tied in each hand ....
40 mins left before the chemist closes!!!
Eat them like jelly beans and dose up! :D

The truth I don't think you can handle!
I'm sure it's filed away in a hospital, waiting to get pulled out again next visit

1575005993_54.jpg

Oh and dear grump , I mean gimp , sorry ( bloody autocorrect ) just showing a photo of a gun
Doesnt mean youve shot someone ! Talk about jumping to conclusions

For anyone thinking of building a fire pump for the farm / home , I found these nozzles on flea bay , best ones I have ever used and cheap at $ 50 , I get 18 metres range with it from my Honda Twin Impellor Firefighter pump .

They only have a 3/4 BSP thread but I have 1 hose on mine

They look very similar to an Akron nozzle which retails for a thousand bucks or so.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FIRE-HO...256002?hash=item420bf21502:g:OHIAAOSwxR1dxOB2

1575456616_ecd641d0-5ba6-4848-b477-4ee4e2e64330.jpg

2lateagain said:
A bit like you are, we have spent the last few days trying to sort out our fire fighting gear. Felt that we had it all sorted over the years with water and pumps and hoses, but as the dam is now down a fair way on previous years the hose that was good when the dam was full now only reaches in a short distance in and is too close to the bottom, so have to put on an extension to get to the middle, also found that the pumps weigh a lot more this year, made up a quick trolley out of an old golf cart as we only have a short distance to get to the dam and have 2 pumps to move, always like a backup just in case.

Have spent a lot of money (for us) on 2 X 50 meter hole reels as I got sick of the hoses laying around and then having to carry them and then they want to tangle and twist when trying to run them out, also invested in the proper fire fighting helmet and clothing for both of us and a couple of led head lamps to save us tripping over things during the dark. The hose reels will always be in place on posts, one facing to the south and the other to the north so we can cover sheds and house without having to drag hoses from one area to another. Have generators to run the underground system as it is assumed that the power will go down very quickly. Also have scuba gear put away in a safe place just in case things get a bit more hairy and 2 way radios, not that they were of any assistance during the 2001 fires. Think we are a bit better prepared this year. :/ :/ :/

Graham

Love your work Graham.

Permanent hose reels and underground pipe work is awesome , as is the roof sprinklers.

My next home will have a 12 or 24 volt water pump and solar panels with backup batteries dedicated just to the water pump which will feed the roof sprinklers from an underground water tank , that way we dont have the risk of power going off or water mains losing pressure.

The roof Sprinklers can run themselves while we address any spot fires.

On the subject of fires... it doesn't hurt to put a smoke alarm in the man hole into your roof cavity. A simple 100mm hole in it, with a 120mm disc spaced 20mm down. (For audio hearing)
A fire in your roof is probably the worst place to have one, little or no warning at night , as it's generally too late and hard to put out.

2lateagain said:
A bit like you are, we have spent the last few days trying to sort out our fire fighting gear. Felt that we had it all sorted over the years with water and pumps and hoses, but as the dam is now down a fair way on previous years the hose that was good when the dam was full now only reaches in a short distance in and is too close to the bottom, so have to put on an extension to get to the middle, also found that the pumps weigh a lot more this year, made up a quick trolley out of an old golf cart as we only have a short distance to get to the dam and have 2 pumps to move, always like a backup just in case.

Have spent a lot of money (for us) on 2 X 50 meter hole reels as I got sick of the hoses laying around and then having to carry them and then they want to tangle and twist when trying to run them out, also invested in the proper fire fighting helmet and clothing for both of us and a couple of led head lamps to save us tripping over things during the dark. The hose reels will always be in place on posts, one facing to the south and the other to the north so we can cover sheds and house without having to drag hoses from one area to another. Have generators to run the underground system as it is assumed that the power will go down very quickly. Also have scuba gear put away in a safe place just in case things get a bit more hairy and 2 way radios, not that they were of any assistance during the 2001 fires. Think we are a bit better prepared this year. :/ :/ :/

Graham

Graham , what diameter hose is on those 50 metre reels ? And are you using that 5 horsepower pump in that photo in your first post ?

I wanted to get maximum water jet distance on ours so I have short 15 metre and 30 metre hose lengths to reduce pressure drop on a 6.5 horsepower Honda pump and I get 18 metres of water jet measured from the nozzle.

Did you measure how far the water jet will reach with your setup ?

Ours is mounted on the back of a 4.5 tonne Ute with 2000 litres of water tank so hopefully we can drive close to the flareups and treat them as they move.

CS, the photo was not mine it was mudgee hunter, all my pumps have the 6.5hp Honda Copy engine single impeller, will be getting a double impeller pump soon, not many left in stock anywhere at present. The reels arrived yesterday and the hoses are 3/4 inch, my son did some tests and found that the 36 meter hose has the best distance, but we actually needed 60 meters to get around the buildings, so went with the 50 meters, have an underground system that will cover the rest of the distance.

We will try and set up the hoses and see what we can get out of them, we have a lot of tall trees and scrub, not going to do much with that, it is mainly to keep the buildings and ground wet and stop spot fires before they get going, we are only 5 acres so we have to wait for it to come to us.

Graham

2lateagain said:
CS, the photo was not mine it was mudgee hunter, all my pumps have the 6.5hp Honda Copy engine single impeller, will be getting a double impeller pump soon, not many left in stock anywhere at present. The reels arrived yesterday and the hoses are 3/4 inch, my son did some tests and found that the 36 meter hose has the best distance, but we actually needed 60 meters to get around the buildings, so went with the 50 meters, have an underground system that will cover the rest of the distance.

We will try and set up the hoses and see what we can get out of them, we have a lot of tall trees and scrub, not going to do much with that, it is mainly to keep the buildings and ground wet and stop spot fires before they get going, we are only 5 acres so we have to wait for it to come to us.

Graham

Ok . I was hoping to get capability to hit canopy fires but reality is that will be impossible.

Radiant heat will force me 50 -70 metres back from the front unless I have full firies protective gear So like you say , all I can do is cover spot fires and wet down any combustible material until it passes.