Swinging At Reef Hills.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
well...if nothing else it was good to get out of the house for the day :argh:

Packed the bug-out bag with my gear and grabbed my Garrett AT GOLD n travelled out to Reef Hills...
Honestly it was great to gain some more experience with my equipment...signal/tones and hopefully learning some things.
what I learnt about this location:
- Hard hard ground.
- Very rocky ground.
- Lots and lots of rubbish (old and new) and bullet cartridges...omg soo many cartridges.

took away a days worth of 'junk' rubbish (won't be digging that up for a 2nd time), and I think im learning to differentiate 'whats junk' and 'whats not',
as im still getting my 'ear' in regarding Coil signals....

found 2 Australian Pennies - one from 1935 and one from 1911 so that was cool :D

Despite the 'junk finds' it was fun to finally be in the field all the same.
One thing is certain....nobody finds Gold sitting at home ;)

Came home, did some more researching and looked at a couple of links like GeoVic and Avenza Maps so expanding my knowledge base slowly.
Cant wait to get out n try my luck again - just thinking where next though....
might head to Eldorado/Mt Pilot area....no idea if its nuggie country there....
Wouldn't mind Panning & Sluicing along Reedy Creek at some stage but trying to save for a Highbanker atm

Anyways just wanted to share my day with PA and I hope we all get lucky out there :pickshovel:

madtuna said:
"One thing is certain....nobody finds Gold sitting at home "

Not entirely correct.

Once while sitting on the crapper I specked a .3gr caught in the grout on the floor of my shower recess. :Y:

You did mean 'sitting', right?
:playful:

madtuna said:
"One thing is certain....nobody finds Gold sitting at home "

Not entirely correct.

Once while sitting on the crapper I specked a .3gr caught in the grout on the floor of my shower recess. :Y:

You never stop looking for gold ,wherever you are or whatever you are doing , do you Madtuna ? :D

so killed a few more hours this afternoon detecting out Reef Hills....OMG they should have named it Rubbish Hills.....so much junk...5th time ive detected out there and ive found nothing but bullets, and junk....

The flies are terrible too....one arm holds the detector while the other arm holds the pick (while swishing away flies every 20 seconds and trying not to hit myself in the face with the mattock) lol.....

I guess its better than sitting at home - even if just for the practice and getting my ears atoned to the pitch n cries of the detector targets,....
That said though it was kind of frustrating given the high level of iron junk, rusted tin and bullets aplenty.

I think ill give this place a miss for awhile n maybe drive a bit n try some places with better potential.....

Not sitting at home, but not detecting either:

Some years ago wife taking to friends outside the Laverton Supermarket, prior to the newest concrete walkways. Looks down in the dirt and spots a .5 grammer.

Tells me I would not have found it, because when I go for walks with her I'm and looking at the trees, sky, whats around me, and .... never where I put my feet, except when I am detecting.

Well....after doing most my savings on my GPS 4500 its local travelling only for the moment ahh well......worth it.
So once again I trekked off today to Reef Hills here near Benalla....
They tell me theres small nugs there but im yet to find one ......from what I hear they're all half gram size and smaller but ill persist....

However I am finding lead, so I guess im on the right track (so to speak).......
finding a lot of junk too but yes - gotta dig em all :D

Besides its was a perfect day to go n get my 'ear in' to the the 4500 and play with settings a bit...beats staying at home :D
If I can hone my skills in such a junk filled place like Reef Hills and manage to find a mug im pretty confident it'll evolve my skills for anywhere really.
Not that it 'jumps in your pocket' .....ya gotta work for it still but RH is a challenge and Gold or No Gold my skills are getting a workout.

It bone dry out there too....
as for them damn flies I found the perfect solution...headband, black fine mosquito mesh....works awesomely!!
(even if I did improvise and cut the mesh from a Tu-tu costume.........as nowhere in town had any proper fly-hat thingys..lol)

well here a few pics.....
My 'haul' for the day and a few pics of RH......

well im finding the lead...so it feels like im doing the right things....just not walking over the Gold as yet.....
But Hey I found a Horseshoe so maybe my luck is changing :D
God I cant wait to find a nugget lol

1576143875_img_3459.jpg

1576144064_img_3461.jpg

1576144181_img_3462.jpg

:pickshovel: :koala: :pickshovel:

I love your attitude Colour&Shape. It's all about getting out there where there's no TV and the phone has to be turned off. There's a clue in there (the phone has to be turned off) if you are swinging the 4500.

"the mesh from a Tu-tu costume" The last time I put my head in a place like that I got a good slap in the face for it. :lol:

hahaha
oh Im sure ive done worse in a public space before lol :argh:

and yeah thx Moneybox...I don't carry the phone with me when im detecting....I can call whoever when Im finished lol....

As for the Tu-Tu fly mask...
Necessity is the mother of all invention as they say.....god them flies drove me crazy the previous time I did RH....
This time though didn't even phase me one iota....so yep bang on the black cowboy hat and headband n ur ready to rock!

I tried every possible place in town to get a fly-mask thingo BUT everywhere had no stock and wasn't going to wait n waste the day not detecting.

going fro the Garrett AT Gold I had, to the gpx 4500 is interesting in the way im developing my skills I think...
both have their unique 'way' but im loving the fact I can have the 4500 without headphones and no detector screaming it 'Ti*s" off like the Garrett does...
that lil external speaker and backlit display are a beaut too

:D

....just a follow up to Diggin4Gold

With Detecting it depends on the public space..to the best of my knowledge this is what I know....

-YOU CANT detect or prospect in National Parks or Heritage Areas
-YOU CAN in State Parks....

Reef Hills is a State Park.

(I wasn't sure if I should take your comment literally or as humorous so just following up on that one)

;)

this is probably the wrong thread BUT;

I'll be putting up FOR SALE in next day or so my GARRETT AT GOLD

details, photos etc etc to come in next couple of days.....

I'll be listing it in the 'EQUIPMENT FOR SALE' area ..........(just a lil heads up is all atm.)

Colour&Shape said:
this is probably the wrong thread BUT;

I'll be putting up FOR SALE in next day or so my GARRETT AT GOLD

details, photos etc etc to come in next couple of days.....

I'll be listing it in the 'EQUIPMENT FOR SALE' area ..........(just a lil heads up is all atm.)

Yep definitely the wrong thread C&S just start a new one in the for sale threads :Y:

I'm enjoying your adventures :beer: your doing all the right things :Y: we've all been there. For some they have an early strike and others tread miles over time, one thing for sure is you won't find it on the couch :beer:

You can tell that to the farmer that you want to go for a swing and he'll have the shotgun pointed at you and tell you to f off

Ahhh cheers RM Outback

Its funny ya know I was reading a post somewhere about a guy who bought a Minelab and did their 1 hour free training course provided....
During that course the lucky bugger found a 10 oz nugget :fistpump: :goldnugget:

But as great as that would be....I personally think it might make have the assumption that 'Gold is easy'.....
He may wait years for such a find again....

Im under no illusions.....im working hard to do the right things, digging up junk and my time will come.....
Thats a realistic perspective....

if 10 oz nuggets just 'fell into our pockets' nobody would bother turning up for work on Monday LOL

:goldnugget: :perfect: ;)

Diggin for Gold....
The Farmer wouldn't worry me coz I wouldn't be on his land in the first place unless he gave me permission...
State Parks are A-OK -
and unless he's 'farming' in a State Park (cough cough plantation) then im doing nothing wrong....I cant think of why else he's have a shotgun pointed at me.

Detecting is permitted in State Parks.....
Besides ive had guns pointed in my face before.......fact

Hard work out there but keep at it mate, and if you come across that farmer with a shotgun make sure you tell him hes lost his way.... ;)

Ive been wet prospecting there, its just a matter of time, took me a few trips and more than a few hours to find the first flash of colour, its a big area to cover.

Wish you all the best of luck.

We started with a similar knowledge base and enthusiasm colour& shape. Since then it has taken me on an adventures path and evolving more than I could comprehend. Where to go and feel comfortable with permission first hurdle. Then I found big lead pellets (swinging detector too fast). After I found smaller lead pellets (slowed down swinging the coil after a couple of visits).
Then went too half flogged area and found gold every time.
Now selling some on ebay.(just a fun hobby amount to offset some expenses)
But aus post is another adventure again. (I think it travels more around Australia than the universe.) :lol:
Can't wait for your finds thread post because you have the determination :power:

Hey OldGT

Yeah that farmer eh.... ;)
Yeah its pretty dry out there at RH.....
Thx for the good wishes too m8 :D

And Gem in I.......
Im persistent and determined so as long as I keep those qualities and evolve my skills its just a matter of time before I find a lil colour im sure..
My attitude is this - id rather be out there in the bush with my gear than sitting at home doing bugger all....anyday......
If I find Gold......bonus.
If I don't find it today......I will in time.......so I develop my method n ability.

to be honest I cant really think of anything id really rather be pursuing....
I can do on my own, I own my equipment, I have few commitments, and after a shocking long term rship fell apart (thank God it ended), im now FREE to
follow the things I ENJOY.....autonomously and independently.......I LOVE IT..

Yeah you can be SURE ill be posting up my first nugget find when I find him on a thread :goldnugget: :perfect:

Was thinking about trying again tomorrow at RH but atm my hands are aching from digging all day...but I prob still will go anyways lol

:pickshovel: :power: :koala:

Latest posts