More on Bush Power

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran a SuperCharge dual purpose battery for close to 3 yrs prior to fitting a full Aux Battery system.
I didnt run it down below about 50% & it held up well. These can be good if you look after them.
I have an electronic battery/alternator system analyser & it reckoned the battery was still around 95% health just prior to a trip to the goldfields.
What killed it in the end was some rough roads ... broke a plate off in 1 cell (also shook my UHF aerial to bits at the base spring).
I now have a Century heavy duty 4WD battery with 'plate lock' for my cranking battery.

Probably the results of uninsulated dodgy wiring id say,spend the time and protect and fuse everything,this near new ranger spontaneously combusted in the work carpark 2 nights ago,he just bought it,i asked if it had dual batteries,it had system fitted amongst other stuff lately.....
1575349404_60291eb7-b417-44da-b359-5101e0ef160f.jpg

That can do it :)

I'm about to install a 110W panel on the 4x4 roof, solar controller etc. I'm running the Negative to a spare roof rail bolt hole so only a short earth wire, but as for the positive.....

Will run about 50cm along the roof rail, in to the rear hatch. I'm looking to run it under the rubber seal and in between the outer body and the rear internal plastic panel, then forward to the battery which is just behind the rear seat. All up 3-4 metres of single core.

But the fuse will be near the panel somewhere up top. No point in fusing it near the controller as the wire has a fair length it could get damaged and short out. Already got the waterproof fuse holder, but until the panel is in place I won't know exactly where it will go.

My BCDC1220 Redarc isn't suitable as a controller, so a separate controller will go to the battery. As I don't want both solar and BCDC charging at the same time, I'm going to switch the panel manually as I don't use the fridge 24/7. I'm thinking of using the same type soft make 10 A circuit breaker as I have in the van on the solar input side. Apart from being switchable as well as added circuit protection, the breaker is designed not to arc n spark when connecting.

Just means remembering to make the circuit when I'm away from the car. If I use a relay the BCDC powers when driving and powers solar when not and I don't want to leave solar on the battery constantly when I'm not using auxiliary power.

Finally found a place to get some cheaper Aluminium Angle for the panel mount. Given my roof rack dimensions and the panel mount, I'll need to use 40x40x3 Alum Angle. Bunnings want $25/M or $68/3M. I found a wholesaler who will sell direct @ $62 for a 6M length and will cut into lengths to carry. Win Win :) Pick up Monday.

First thing I did this morning was take the panel out to the car and hook it up temporarily to check it and the controller work. Panel on the ground, wired to the controller then to the battery with no load, the panel output was 1.8 A @ 13.8 V.

I switched the Engel on and it's initial cooling current (fridge has been off for a few weeks) was 3.8A - no panel connected. I then connected the panel and was still showing 1.6 to 1.8 amps charge, the battery is near full.

So a total panel output of 5.4 to 5.6 amps.

FYI, I went cheap due to budget and bought a Supercheap 110W fixed panel, came with mounting hardware and a controller. Normal price was > $150, but they were on clearance for $124. I have a trade card for Supercheap, so I ended up paying $108. The panel is rated at a max output of 6.24 A (6.6 A short circuit current). Given that the panel was flat on the ground and not angled to the sun although sunny, it wasn't high noon, lol and the battery is near full, I'm happy with the output of an average of 5.5 A.

It's running the fridge and charging on top which is all I can ask..... :)

Recommendations....
Usually I camp out for 5 to 7 days. 38deg + on occasions.
I'm pretty happy with my few decent new style eskies,
Filled with frozen 2ltr milk containers.
But style/desire $$$ would be to have a small Freezer, enough to hold 4 to 6 2ltr milk containers for freezing only.
Then when the ones in the esky are half melted, rotate them once a day for the ones in the freezer.
Thus only opening it once a day, loosing less coolant energy.
And being still half frozen, less tax on the freezer.
What is my best buy$$$.
I have numerous batteries on hand. Even large 6v solar batteries I can bank.
200w pannel.
An 8ltr cooler fridge is solo not the go. There's 9ltrs in a box of beer alone!
So that ain't gunna cut it past 2 days!
I just want to be able refreeze half melted 2ltr containers of ice to get me through the 4/5th day to 7 days?
No generator, etc. Just a brand/make that dose the job really.
Week top. Using the above needs

mudgee hunter said:
Recommendations....
But style/desire $$$ would be to have a small Freezer, enough to hold 4 to 6 2ltr milk containers for freezing only.
Then when the ones in the esky are half melted, rotate them once a day for the ones in the freezer.
What is my best buy$$$.
200w pannel.
I just want to be able refreeze half melted 2ltr containers of ice to get me through the 4/5th day to 7 days?

12 volt fridges aint that crash hot on freezing large items quickly in warm weather,im not sure what ya talking of would be real successful.....

Goldchaser1 said:
12 volt fridges aint that crash hot on freezing large items quickly in warm weather,im not sure what ya talking of would be real successful.....

Pre-freezing them at home would be a good place to start and then if you had about 6 milk bottles of Ice using them 2 at a time would be the way to go then a 12v would do the job, But The only ones that will freeze that amount of water in about 6 to 10 hours would be the Snomaters but they Chew a heap of power, Even in 22-25*c Temps they eat batteries and you would need at leased 300w of Solar to keep the batteries Fed. But Yes Snomasters will do it,

I think I'm about to get flamed :lol:

What the hell does temperature have to do with something working if it's done right 1st
Have you heard the expression "making mountains out of molehills " well that's exactly what most of the posts are doing.
You are getting too technical, KISS works well.
Simple system :-
1/have a look at the power draw of the item you want to install
2/ use cable larger than the max power draw
3/ Fuse at the recommended size

That's it, simple.
Goody2shoes, buy a 12v tv, forget the inverter if that's all you need it for.

Me, I need an inverter for running my cpap machine ( yes I know you can get 12 to 24 v converters that use more than an inverter ) and charge a laptop and camera batteries+ battery powered tools.

I have 450w of solar and 2x110aph agm batteries, I make my coffee on the gas top, hot water is on gas, fridge is 3 way , lights are 12v led.

My qualifications for these comments :-
I've been camping before most of you were born
I've been using 12v systems for the last 40 years
I've never had an electrical fire from 12v systems
I've never had an appliance burn out ( 12v )
I've always kept it simple ( if it's complicated you're doing it wrong, how do you find a fault )

Bring it on :D

mudgee hunter said:
Bugga ! Really, is there no 12v freezer that can freeze 4 to 6 two ltr containers of half frozen in 24 /48hrs ?

Yes there is, I've got 1, Bushman 50 liter :perfect:
It's frozen 1/2 a goon bag overnight on top of a thermal blanket when set @ -4 c

Awwwwh, geee. I just want cold beer on the 5th day!
Top up my esky with more home made ice bricks!!!!
Hoping if I don't open it every tens mins, but once every 24/36 hrs I can can get it to freeze!
Rotating the 2ltr containers whilst still half frozen!
I'm ok if takes a 40/50ltr to do it.
But can it be done logistically this way.
As an ice machine only
This way, you can be a it more self sufficient

I am going to see how long it takes this little Dometic to freeze a round container of water that measures 105mm Wide by about 150/160mm Tall, Which holds just over a Litre,

I have frozen a Glass of water in about 2 to 3 hours in the ARB 47, The 78L has a bigger compressor and seems quicker

I agree with Keith,
Keep it Simple.

El cheapo [$85] 100w solar panel on the roof rack [flat]
A SCA $49.00 solar controller [Ridge Ryder]
Feeding a Full River 90 AH AGM,
running a 47l Evakool Fibreglass fridge

On 24/7 - 365 days a years for the last 4 years, in Melbourne.
Never let me down.

That's kool. Even a box of beer from The bottle shop cold can tax ice/fridge etc big time.
I always pre-ice it Cold as possible before leaving.
I have a few new style eskies, they are great even for storage.
Especially if you buy a few of the same brand,size. and they are stackable. Tie downs don't crush them, water/ dust proof.
I use one as slush esky, wet. Great for drinks. And one dry for butter etc.
Vac sealed frozen meat etc can be used as ice bricks for a while in the slush esky. Being sealed, they can float around with a beer without contamination.
Even frozen 1 Ltr of UHT milk make good ice bricks.
But I'm fond of freezing the popper size uht containers for coffee in the morning without waste.
An old wet towel over your esky is an old proven trick! Even if dusty water used.
Frozen 2ltr milk containers if rinced can be a savior if running short of water.
Or use them to extinguish the the fire place before leaving.
Wash the lids thoroughly before use but.
Real butter travels better than margarine.
Vac sealing a bag of flour will not only make it last indefinitely, becomes like a brick!
But very travel safe against breaking/mess/humidity/weavels.

I know my Engel can freeze a dozen 2litre blocks overnight. No idea really what size it is, either 80 or 90 litres, but the motor freezes down to -27 degrees C if the measuring gauge the fridgie/electrician used to measure it was accurate, which I assume it was as he uses it for work daily.

I don't use it for freezing though, just as a fridge and it stays at 3 degrees. It is two-compartment but not a split system as these new ones can do, mine is either freezer or fridge. I thought about the esky idea with ice blocks, but the power consumption would kill my batteries and also the bloody thing is so big it takes up half the cargo area so no room for an esky.

Do you really need that many 2litre bottles though? I reckon four bottles, two in the freezer and two in the esky and rotate. Four litres of ice in an esky would keep things cold every 24 hours.

Honestly, I would be happy with just 4x 2ltrs frozen to swap over ever 24hrs.
Swapping the 4 half unfrozen over for 4 frozen ones.

mudgee hunter said:
Honestly, I would be happy with just 4x 2ltrs frozen to swap over ever 24hrs.
Swapping the 4 half unfrozen over for 4 frozen ones.

ok im scratching my head
you think youll need a 40-50 ltr fridge freezer to freeze blocks for the beer in an eski,why wouldnt you just put the beer in the fridge?

yup.....take a beer out...put another one in.
All this frozen ice in milk containers or icecream containers takes up valuable fridge space...or am I missing something?

mudgee hunter said:
Recommendations....
What is my best buy$$$.
200w pannel.
OK, I have to ask....why a freezer to freeze water....why not just use a fridge to replace the eskies?

Latest posts