Nerrigundah info?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been doing some exploring in the upper reaches of the Gulph Creek area and have come across the old timers workings where it looks like they have hydro sluiced the bank. They have exposed a red dirt up to 30 foot deep in places. The bottom part of the exposed wall has water worn river rocks in it and a little bit of gold in places. Can anyone tell me if this is the old creek bed or some other type of deposit. Thanks in advance. Cheers Shane.

Went out to Nerrigundah today, turned right at the monument then right again out towards the cole mine, second main creek I came across went through the road and down to the main river. I parked on the side of the road and up drives an orange shitty city 4wd with an old woman behind the wheel. She asked me if Im fossicking, I replied yes and then she starts to launch at me. Tells me the creek and river is her private property, I told her they were crown land and public property, well the old bat goes crazy, Threatening to call the cops, how we arent welcome and destroying the environment. I said go ahead, Im well within my rights, she doesnt care. After arguing with the old bat for about 15min she abused me and drove off. I got a nasty vibe I can tell you, and was wary of leaving my vehicle unattended. Good thing I didnt as Abdiver told me he had his tyre slashed near town. FFS. I told her I was detecting and mostly picking up other peoples rubbish and filling in my tiny holes after. Stupid cow didnt care....not a nice place...

The town has a population of about 45 people and everyone is a cousin...... You were probably too close to her cultivation of medicinal herbs.

Next time they are on special at Aldi, buy two trail cams and set them up watching your car. Put a note on the dash saying 'smile for the cameras', always makes for interesting viewing at the police station.

Thylacine said:
The town has a population of about 45 people and everyone is a cousin...... You were probably too close to her cultivation of medicinal herbs.

Next time they are on special at Aldi, buy two trail cams and set them up watching your car. Put a note on the dash saying 'smile for the cameras', always makes for interesting viewing at the police station.
Sounds like deliverance, might find you're need a bit more protection than a couple of cameras :lol: although could be interesting ;)

Hi,
sorry but i know where you were.
She is pumping from that area for her water.
I hope for 2 things.
You were below her pump but,
have a look on 6 maps. The rule of a stream or river, dos not apply in this circumstance.
Her DP lot extends over the water body.
Me myself would have been aware of this with research.
Be careful.
And no, The townsfolk are not intermingled.
I know some of them personally and will not intrude on their good nature.

alexbunyip said:
Went out to Nerrigundah today, turned right at the monument then right again out towards the cole mine, second main creek I came across went through the road and down to the main river. I parked on the side of the road and up drives an orange shitty city 4wd with an old woman behind the wheel. She asked me if Im fossicking, I replied yes and then she starts to launch at me. Tells me the creek and river is her private property, I told her they were crown land and public property, well the old bat goes crazy, Threatening to call the cops, how we arent welcome and destroying the environment. I said go ahead, Im well within my rights, she doesnt care. After arguing with the old bat for about 15min she abused me and drove off. I got a nasty vibe I can tell you, and was wary of leaving my vehicle unattended. Good thing I didnt as Abdiver told me he had his tyre slashed near town. FFS. I told her I was detecting and mostly picking up other peoples rubbish and filling in my tiny holes after. Stupid cow didnt care....not a nice place...

Abdiver said:
Hi all, I've been doing some exploring in the upper reaches of the Gulph Creek area and have come across the old timers workings where it looks like they have hydro sluiced the bank. They have exposed a red dirt up to 30 foot deep in places. The bottom part of the exposed wall has water worn river rocks in it and a little bit of gold in places. Can anyone tell me if this is the old creek bed or some other type of deposit. Thanks in advance. Cheers Shane.
Shane (Tathra Abdiver)to answer your question without giving to much away on a public forum yes the area your talking about from there and upstream was hydro sluiced and what you have seen is indeed evidence of the older creek bed, just remember the old timers got most of their gold from up higher, much more than where the creek is now. I have spent the last 5 years walking around most of it but still have more to learn. ;)
Regards and good luck, Dolphin.

If you walk up Gulph creek you will find the remains
of the old dredge. Theres not much left of it. I seen it
about 30 years ago when you could still drive up beside the Creek.
They bought it up the river then winched it up
Gulph creek.
Aparently in some places you can still see the marks on the rocks
in the stream bed when they did it.

I have been told of a few finds in the walls where the dredge operated.

Tathradj said:
Hi,
sorry but i know where you were.
She is pumping from that area for her water.
I hope for 2 things.
You were below her pump but,
have a look on 6 maps. The rule of a stream or river, dos not apply in this circumstance.
Her DP lot extends over the water body.
Me myself would have been aware of this with research.
Be careful.
And no, The townsfolk are not intermingled.
I know some of them personally and will not intrude on their good nature.

In defence of the town folk they were very friendly. Looking back onto town left hand side of the road the creek enters the main river, crown land and there for everyones enjoyment. She did not have to come on so hard and rude, I am quite calm, approachable and willing to work with locals. At no time did I abuse or be rude, just stated the law.I was on the roadside not on anyones property, she just drove up and basically let rip.The woman needs an attitude adjustment. She does have a reputation, enough said.

She is actually quite friendly.
A lot of ignorant people give her a hard time though.
Not saying you did please.
Some thing must have stirred her up and you were there at the wrong time.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll be heading back up tomorrow to explore just a little bit more of the area.

I have been keen to check out Nerrigundah, but this thread (and others I have read in the past) about the area scares the crap out of me! Mention of this lady seems to come up quite often all over the internet.

Its a harsh area. I also got hammered by stinging nettles. Some unmarked very deep soft edges mine shafts too. The flies are some of the worst Ive seen now.

went out to Nerrigundah a couple of years ago and the same thing happened a two headed lurch comes screaming out of the bush that iam on private property
when it was state crown land , so latter on when back at the vehicle with two flat tyres seeing red little did he know that I had walked across a little plot of green in pots out there . the next day into Bunnings for some round up and a backpack spray bottle gave them a good drink maybe that's why they look intermingled but did find some good gold around that area