Detecting SAs Equinox 600 Finds.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DetectingSA said:
Went out on a night hunt tonight and had my first ever negative interaction in the 91 hunts Ive been on. Its not uncommon for me to be approached by people, but up until now everyones been friendly and interested in what Im looking for ect as Im sure weve all experienced.

But this bloke... now a little back story. I was detecting a reserve (council land) right across from a caravan park. Headphones on, pin pointer on vibrate only, and only turned on the head torch after I dug the plug and located the rough area of the target with the pin pointer.

So in my mind I was being as considerate as possible. Im sure 99% of people at the caravan park didnt even know I was there.

But anyway, this bloke storms over while Im head down trying to pin point a target, hes making a ruckus saying things like what do you think youre doing?, pack up youre leaving ect being generally abit of a d@#khead.

I told him he has no authority over me and explained to him I work all day and sometimes I detect at night and that Im totally within my rights to do so and Ill be staying.

Old mate didnt want to hear none of it and said youre going, wheres your car, Ill help you being a total smart arse but he went to grab my detector which was laying on the ground, and my instinct made me just spring up and shove him, hard. And old mate fell over before he was able to get my detector. (I though this blokes a nutter, Im not giving him any chance to smash my detector or anything)

Lots of swearing ensured from both parties, after a few choice words he said he was gonna go call the cops. I said be my guest, wouldnt be the first time. And he stormed off in a huff.

I stuck around for another 2.5 hours until my detector went flat out of principle and the coppers never showed up.

A lot of the police in my area know me because its not uncommon for people to call the police on me. No one has ever confronted me before.... and the police always let me carry on detecting anyway.... it might be odd to most people to be detecting at night, but thankfully being a weirdo isnt a crime :lol:

I did manage $6, 1x crusty penny, a threepence and this unidentified button:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...5854_425417aa-1bca-44b3-ad42-1e6fe65c1e9a.jpg

Any ideas?
I usually/almost always ,detect before dawn ....home before the sun rises.Only really ever get stopped by the cops....Same as you they get to know who you are and now they just slow down ...I give em a wave and they move on.But the last 2 hunts have been around 6am to 8am and i get stopped by every second person asking if ive found gold :awful: or better yet...There's no gold on the beach :/ ;)

I had one nutter at Shelly Beach in Manly have a go at me once, well indirectly I guess, he was talking very loudly on his phone pretending to be talking to the cops saying "yes he's detecting now and swinging that detector near people", was really weird. Then he said in a loud voice after putting his phone away that he "would belt me if I came near him".... Well after hearing that I just had to, so I started detecting directly toward him and then just stood there glaring at him, should have seen the bloke run, total nutcase. Gave me a laugh anyway. :D

The button appears to be a British General Service button from WW1/WW2. I'm glad things didn't get too out of hand that night, should minded his own business and definitely had no right to touch any of your gear.

Latest posts