Screen size for a chain mill

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.
So i have about 500kg of rock i want to crush up.
Issue is what screen size do i go as the gold in the rock is all over the place some of the gold is visible by eye some is micron size.

Do i just run it twice one with a bigger 2mm or 3mm screen then sluice it to get the bigger gold out the re run the tailing with a small screen like a half mm or a mm??

Cheers
Ben

I crush initially down to pass a quarter inch screen in my chain mill. this will give me about a 40% by volume pass through a 120 mesh screen straight after the outlet . The oversize then gets processed through a rod mill with a 120mesh outlet screen. 120 is as fine as I would go for gravity seperation. Half a ton is probably going to take a day or 2 and a set of chains to process. Pls use a resperator /mask if you are crushing dry.
[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjkqgeOioDI[/video]

Are you using a wire mesh screen or a plate with holes drilled in it? If using a plate you may be able to go down to 4mm without too much blockage. I use mesh but its in a side discharge setup that recirculates anything that doesnt have a chance to pass the mesh screen back into the chamber for more smackage. :)

Latest posts