⭐ Gemstone & Mineral Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1572726298_dde746b8-3864-4ab3-a13d-e143ea650960.jpg

1572726300_0eeb35d4-c02f-444f-90ad-5ea18dc75db1.jpeg

Been a member for a while but only posted once or twice a while back. Thought Id show some of my recent mineral finds. Some platy calcite that I pull out of an old breccia quarry in eastern creek nsw. Ive uploaded 2 photos here will put some more up in the next 2 post any comments greatly appreciated. I thought they were quartz when I grabbed them and took them home, until I did a hardness test on them. One has some very small, what I assume are pyrite suns on it

Out in the New England region and first thought this was a part of a smashed windscreen. After much research and only able to scratch with a diamond, no refraction and diamond tester goes full bar like a sapphire .It's a clear spinal. Super rare..goes to show advice from an old timer don't chuck out what you think is glass till.you get it home. Should cut a nice big stone.
1574948724_20191129_003942.jpg

Well done Alex, something was telling you to investigate that stone. I was talking to a couple of fossickers last weekend who admitted to flicking white stones out as rubbish from the sieve, thinking they weren't worth anything because they were not coloured.

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. Out near Inverell I always get the wife to go over my sieves as she has better eyesight, one look she said ohh there is a diamond! Wow I didnt think there was any up this way. she says, no, its already cut and as it was a .5 carat cut diamond someone lost off jewellery....lol funny what you find, being tossed in the dirt not a scratch on it.

Pat Hogen said:
Well done Alex, something was telling you to investigate that stone. I was talking to a couple of fossickers last weekend who admitted to flicking white stones out as rubbish from the sieve, thinking they weren't worth anything because they were not coloured.

Perfect reason to go through other peoples rubbish, it's astounding what they miss or chuck :eek:

Dihusky said:
Pat Hogen said:

Perfect reason to go through other peoples rubbish, it's astounding what they miss or chuck :eek:

Funny you mention that, the old timers would throw away platinum and silver thinking it was unripe gold ....lol

The place RockRat scored the nice Specimens of Malachite/Azurite from is one of our Gemorama Venues...

So, If anyone wants to go next Year, look out for a post in the New Year titled 'Gemorama 2020'.... See you all there... I promise.. :8

LW...