High Banker vs Sluice for Gold?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Whats the better piece of equipment?

Too me a high banker just looks like a multi layered sluice? BUt obviously Im ignorant.

I know I want a haigh banker as I want to fossick for gem stones as well as gold. Greedy?

Hi,

Sluice:

- continuously flowing water is necessary
- Sluice must be aligned with the underground
- Quantity of water must be sufficient to run the sluice efficently
- If the amount of water is too small, you have to screen-down your material

High-Banker:

- As it is naturally running with a pump you only need water somewhere
- could even run in a curcuit
- No need to pre-screen the material. Thats what the grizzly bars are for :)

Regarding the High-Banker (With pump), correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it only allowed in the Northern Territory?

**Oldtimer version: you can also run both things with buckets of water if there is no creek or river in sight. But.. yeah, at least nobody would consider you greedy here :p

Best,
Oli

General_Hawkins said:
Hi,

Sluice:

- continuously flowing water is necessary
- Sluice must be aligned with the underground
- Quantity of water must be sufficient to run the sluice efficently
- If the amount of water is too small, you have to screen-down your material

High-Banker:

- As it is naturally running with a pump you only need water somewhere
- could even run in a curcuit
- No need to pre-screen the material. Thats what the grizzly bars are for :)

Regarding the High-Banker (With pump), correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it only allowed in the Northern Territory?

**Oldtimer version: you can also run both things with buckets of water if there is no creek or river in sight. But.. yeah, at least nobody would consider you greedy here :p

Best,
Oli
Oh thanks mate, I saw it on youtube, Highbanker in NSW for gems and gold and thought it must be legal. Bugga. So gems must be really hard to fossick then.....

Leaving the location and budget out of it a bit
A sluice being compact and light, you will tend to adventure a lot further up the creek with it, and usually find a better spot.
Electric Bilge pumps can assist in flow when needed. Or a small petrol pump .
Yes the normally handle a lower volume of material. But if you work it for an hour or so, and the gold yield is poor.
The ease of moving up further to find a better spot is much more simple compared to the average banker.

A day of recon with a sluice allows you find the hot spots in creeks, and compare these. Like test panning really.
Now if you have a high banker to compliment your kit. You can simply set it up there if possible.

High bankers are more flexible when it comes to positioning it. Allowing you to use it far up from the bank and dig in the ancient river bed.
Volume turnover is of course increased dramatically.
Correct flow and angle is easier to achieve.
Generally you can get the banker itself closer to the dig site with hoses.
Thus increasing volume again.
Not as simple to cart around as a sluice, pump, hoses, fuel, the banker itself is generally bigger , beer, oooops, that eight gose with both !
Soon fills the vehicle up a bit quicker.

Budget? Everyone is different.
Styles etc..... hard to knock back dream mat in either.

My personal preference is a fluid bed first, then dream mat following, In either unit!
Dig with confidence.

Before you commit to buying one, even better is both.
Go to the "members meet up" section and ask if you can tag along on a trip.
Your opinion may change altogether of the size and type you want.
Check out "Gold Rats" website. He is even selling cat walk mesh now ( I swear buy it) . And it will catch your gems I'm sure.
He might even do you a deal getting both.
Both is handy for keeping mum and the kids out of you face when shovels are swinging wildly as well.

I'm sure someone will let you tag along. Everyone has got their favourite units and opinions.

Thanks mate. Heaps of info.Its illegal in NZ to use anything mechanical so high bankers are out. Its river sluices only, which Im use to using.

So is it illegal to use an electric high banker in NSW/Aus on public fossicking land?

Is it illegal to use a high banker in NSW via battery?

I see all these big nuggets being found with detectors on dry river beds on youtube, is that on claims or is it still possible on public designated areas?

Latest posts