Prospecting on a budget

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Haha so is there such a thing??

Just thought Id share the following cos it seems as soon as you mention the word gold prices go up 500%

So yeh Bunnings and getaway outdoors have been my friends lately

Heres a photo of my kit made up from Bunnings work shop section

Oh and why pay $225 for a seive when Bunnings sells garden ones for $5 lol

Garden picks are $15 and strong as yet light enough they can fit on a hammer holder on your belt on the waist :lol:

On the picks, Alianslayer, i used to always use a rabbit trap setter ,but a real fair dinkum prospecting pick is worth the money.
Trust me, the long handle and extra weight allows you to dig bigger holes and quicker. And you don`t have to bend over so much to dig a hole or even kneel on the ground.
You just have to learn how to carry it over your shoulder on one side of your body with one hand while using the detector in the other hand.

Using a bungee on the detector helps with this ,too.

FOZ

Morning, I'm guessing your photo doesn't show because you haven't reached 10 posts (or photo not showing a big nugget), as per forum 'rules'.

Just remember the bigger the coil the more small gold you will miss and hence the less you will find. the stuff you will find however will be 1 ounce plus..

Yeh everyone is telling me go deep, so I was thinking the 25 dd coil but not sure how small the smallest bit of gold it will pick up

lol with that size prob 1 oz no less.
just remember the less you find the less you will go out and look for more. i would sweep with a 6 inch first then go the same area with a 14. keeps you in the game and in the right mind. it aint no fun if you dont find anything

Am i the only one here who bought my seive and pick from bunnings lol??

I mean for $12 for a pick and $5 for a seive you can't go wrong really!

I just couldn't justify $100+ on a proper large pick when a little bunnings one will fit on my belt perfectly and dig just as well :lol: :beer:

Who else here is prospecting on a budget and what cost cutting measures have you done in the field?

Ded Driver said:
AS, the problem with some cheap picks, is when you dig into hard rocky ground you can take chips off the pick that will stuff you up when trying to pinpoint your target in the hole.
THAT is why a good quality pick is worth its money ;) :goldnugget: :pickshovel:

never even thought of that mate, but tbh i havn't had that dramas yet :)

o0n the topic of pin pointers do you recommend using one out bush? or will they be useless in the highly mineralised soil?

1585994683_91865321_3138658979486686_8139515491858251776_n.jpg

Here is my bunnings kit for $30 :)

Alienslayer said:
Ded Driver said:
AS, the problem with some cheap picks, is when you dig into hard rocky ground you can take chips off the pick that will stuff you up when trying to pinpoint your target in the hole.
THAT is why a good quality pick is worth its money ;) :goldnugget: :pickshovel:

never even thought of that mate, but tbh i havn't had that dramas yet :)

o0n the topic of pin pointers do you recommend using one out bush? or will they be useless in the highly mineralised soil?
I have a Nokta pin-pointer that I primarily use for coin/relic hunting. For gold prospecting they can be handy if you're digging a deep hole & have a very large coil on your detector.

Yeh, that's partially the reason i use the 11 inch mono, smaller coil smaller hole :O

I did run a 25 inch DD last time i went bush but omfg the hole i had to dig!

Not to put you off cost saving mate, but I can you the only advantage to a cheap pick is if you leave it behind you probably wont spend hours retracing your steps.

When you do go to a quality pick youll see why they are worth every cent. Lighter, stronger last forever, and best of all, quality from an aussie supplier. :Y: :goldnugget:

The list of uses is a long one, even after selling off my gear I wont be without mine, too handy.

Maybe Santa might bring you one....

Half of prospecting stuff is from bunnings!

My daughter works there and she often picks out the prospectors when they are getting the sieve and other bits and pieces. They are always surprised when she asks if they are prospectors.

The other funny one is when the young ones come in to buy stuff to make a beer bong. She knows all the pieces then says "are you making a beer bong? Haha..the funnel, tube, valves etc

Hi alienslayer

The only problem that i have found with the little saxon picks from bunnings is that the one my mates young feller uses, is the tips roll and flare, as there has not been much hardening of the pick,they leave the metal quite soft

When the pick point starts to flare, that is when you will leave bits in the ground and maybe in the eye,those cheap picks can be hardened ,but you will have to take it to someone that knows what they are doing or you will end up with a cheap piece of scrap :Y: