Playing with New Fridges.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just ordered another fridge, when it gets here I will do the usual power test but due to it's size I am going to also do a contents test to see how much it will hold and how many days food it will hold before I have to restock it, Using it as my main food supply fridge.

I am thinking about buying on of the big Twin Bins to see how they workout, I can make a single box fridge do both jobs at the same time but after all my testing I am starting to think that the Twin Bin models are the way to go,

The Victims I have in mind are either one of the Dometic Waeco CFX75 DZW or the CFX95 DZW or One of the Larger Twin National Luna models, I would really like to throw one of the Big Twin Snomasters in there because they cost about 25% less than the other two but after tests of their 35L and their 90L Expedition Series I don't think I could get the run times using a single 115Ah Battery not without hooking the battery up to Big Red, "my 35/320Ah" workshop charger and that would not be a fair test because out in the bush you can't go running a charger of that size 24/7. And if a person was to have one of those big Snomasters you would need at leased 3/500w of Solar and a lot of Sunshine, Oh and the Compressors Rattle and Clunk when moved, I first noticed this when driving on smooth Paved Roads while they were still all Boxed Up, That's not a good feature to have if you are planning to head off inland, At first I thought is was something in the back of the Truck/SUV but NO, The Truck had half a tank of Gas with just the Fridge sitting in the back on factory Carpets, and then I got the 35L model and in also did it while still in all it's packaging while sitting on the back seat, Bottom line is The Snomasters just would not survive the Aussie Bush, To Date ARB and ENGEL seem to have got it right, N/L Hopefully with also be another one to add to the list But remember the National Luna have only been around since about 1990 +/-,

A couple of things I don't like about the National Luna's are, The Left Bin will go down to -24*c but the Right Bin will only got down to -12*c where as other fridges either Bin can be set to the maximum Low of 18/22*c and where as other fridges the voltages can run on anything from 110 to 240v and 12v to 24v National Luna are not quite so forgiving, And for a Fridge that can Top Out at close to $4000 dollars They are ranked fairly low on my usability scale when it comes to world travellers where voltages vary depending what country you are in.

Anyways that's my next up tests fingers crossed,

Take care,

J.

Latest posts