The Mineral Sands of Western Australia's South Coast

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's amazing though how they traced it's origins all the way to Antarctica. I read somewhere a while back about a huge boulder somewhere near Heathcote, that had its origins in Tasmania- Awesome.To think if I lived long enough I could wait until the GT was in my backyard :lol:

next minute in Antarctica ....
1574397486_siberia_mining.jpg

Been all around that area trying to locate bigger garnets than just the sand and been lucky last trip with a nice cutter

That's a good one madtuna "The ute was significantly damaged" :argh:

I reckon had it been a Perentie a wash down would have righted things with Tyrepower required to attend to the severely damaged loader wheel :cool:
mike

Today, mineral sands deposits are being mined across the inland from the Broken Hill region then west across the Nullabor.
In the 1950's /60's the beaches north of Newcastle to and beyond the Qld. border were a nearly continuous line of beach sand miners of which Iluka Minerals is one survivor.
In some places, the huge dredge holes left behind are declared "natural lakes" by NPWS.
History soon forgotten and changed to suit today.
mike

Best job I ever had was as a young 19 - 20 yr old restoring the background of beaches of the mid north and north coast for Cudgeon RZ; surfing every afternoon if the waves were on. Found lots of aboriginal artefacts, interesting at the time but not collectable ... then, wish I had known, so they are still lying in the sands along the coast.

Deepseeker said:
It's amazing though how they traced it's origins all the way to Antarctica. I read somewhere a while back about a huge boulder somewhere near Heathcote, that had its origins in Tasmania- Awesome.To think if I lived long enough I could wait until the GT was in my backyard :lol:
What they are saying is not "all the way to Antarctica" but that Antarctica was joined to Australia - so it didn't have far to go. The Heathcote (Knowsley) "Stranger" glacial erratic came riding there on a glacier.

1574564843_stranger_1st_yr_2000.jpg

Antarctica-Australia separation at different times (20 Ma means 20 million years before the present)
1574563415_antarctic_separation.jpg

Ice was present in Australia into what is northern Australia when the Knowsley erratic may have arrived - you can still see the rock outcrops around Knowsley that were polished by ice sliding over them:

1574564629_011006_knowsley_groove2.jpg

1574564931_kellams_rock.jpg

Even during the last glacial period only about 20,000 years ago, the aborigines would have suffered badly:
https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/news/2013/09/ice-age-struck-indigenous-australians-hard/

Latest posts