You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

7.62marksman
09 July 2019 07:47 pm

have a quick read of this mate

https://www.qld.gov.au/recreation/activ … king/rules

Highbanker, Sluice, Trommel, Gold Monster 1000 (Khaleesi), Garrett Ace 400i (Rhaegal), Go-Find 40 (Nymeria), Non Turbo 2.8lt Hilux (Turtle), NAPFA member ----Even a broken clock is right twice a day

Terrablae
26 July 2019 04:23 pm

I'm quite new to this fossicking stuff in general (I got my QLD fossicking license quite recently).

I want to do fossicking (with a hand-shovel and metal detector) on a beach. However, I'm unsure as to whether or not I am allowed to on all beaches, some beaches or none at all and if I am, do I need permission (like from the local council) to do the activity?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just can't find much on beaches themselves.

LoneWolf
26 July 2019 09:55 pm

Most beaches are ok for detecting.... Most Councils do allow detecting, but most haven't got a clue if you can or can't Detect...

Do the right thing, remove any rubbish you find and fill your holes in and you should be Ok...

LW....

Growing Old is Inevitable.... Growing Up is Optional.... Prospectors United Will Never Be Defeated

2 users like this post: Mackka, RM Outback

Terrablae
27 July 2019 11:21 am

LoneWolf wrote:

Most beaches are ok for detecting.... Most Councils do allow detecting, but most haven't got a clue if you can or can't Detect...

Do the right thing, remove any rubbish you find and fill your holes in and you should be Ok...

LW....

Thanks for the reply! It's very helpful! It gets hard when you start reading into the laws and then there is some vague wording or implied terms and you don't know what is right or wrong to do.

kiwiturtle
27 July 2019 12:16 pm

We take a bag and bring out the rubbish. Every bit helps... thumbsup Authorities luv it..

Last edited by kiwiturtle (27 July 2019 12:17 pm)

1 user likes this post: Ded Driver

trekkie
31 July 2019 12:30 am

gidday everyone. if i have a miners lic and i know the grandkids are covered under mine being 3 and six is my son who is 38 covered as well because it doesnt say much in links everyone supplied or does he need one too. he only comes once in a blue moon.

Ded Driver
31 July 2019 12:35 am

I imagine most states would be much the same on this, over 18 is an adult, & must have their own Miners Licence
certainly is that way here in WA

APLA member, GPX4000, modded SD2100, XTerra705, GM1000, Whites MXT Pro, Nokta Pointer, sP01 Enhancer, Garmin GPSMAP 64S, kti PLB, a map, all sorts of coils & a cupla buckets full of hope & enthusiasm

1 user likes this post: LoneWolf

Nackz
31 July 2019 04:21 pm

Hi all,

So being new to recreational prospecting I (and I'm sure from what I can see others too) have been very confused about which areas are allowed in Victoria. Clearly you need a miner's right (which I have) and there are some very clear lists describing areas of State/National Parks where prospecting is permitted and a clear list of waterways which are prohibited.

Has anyone worked out about other parks or areas - particularly those listed as crown land reserve? I can only find contradictory information.

I have contacted Parks Victoria and the part of DEDJTR covering resource strategy and industry development, Minerals Development. I have had responses from (both quite prompt, professional and polite). Parks Victoria have said they only know the regs for the parks they manage (which are the lists of state/national park areas) and DEDJTR spent time looking into to it but couldnt work out anything further.

I have just contacted DELWP to see what they say.

Has anyone had much luck getting clear information regarding the rules and regs for non-state/national parks that are listed as crown land reserve?

I cant get my head around it with seemingly contradictory legislation which can be read a number of different ways - just trying to do the right thing here!

MichoAndrew
05 August 2019 05:14 pm

Hi Guys,

Just need confirmation.

Myself and the old man are from Adelaide and want to detect in Vic.

Will i only need to purchase the below.

Victoria Miners Right - Apply Online
ttps://checkout.payments.com.au/dpi_minersRight/

Is it simple as that?

Thanks

RM Outback
05 August 2019 07:46 pm

MichoAndrew wrote:

Hi Guys,

Just need confirmation.

Myself and the old man are from Adelaide and want to detect in Vic.

Will i only need to purchase the below.

Victoria Miners Right - Apply Online
ttps://checkout.payments.com.au/dpi_minersRight/

Is it simple as that?

Thanks

You both have purchase one each in your own name, somewhere around $30.00 bucks each for a 10 year Miner's Right. Cheap as chips at the asking price, all the best when you get over here.

StinkyOldPete
24 October 2019 05:33 pm

Hi,

The links you've supplied for SA dont seem to work.

....Much like actual fossicking or prospecting in SA sad

Rockhunter62
24 October 2019 08:35 pm

StinkyOldPete wrote:

Hi,

The links you've supplied for SA dont seem to work.

....Much like actual fossicking or prospecting in SA sad

Probably needs updating if it's the one in the first post.

Cheers

Doug

Forest Gump once said "life is like a detector going beep, you don't know what it is till you dig it up"

Biotite
25 November 2019 06:16 pm

I'm new to prospecting/fossicking.
If there is a creek not on the exempt list that goes through a national park and then through a state forest does that mean I am unable to fossick there?

From what I can tell you can't fossick in national parks or state forests except where a special area is recognised? E.g. by state park authority etc

Swinging & digging
25 November 2019 06:28 pm

If the Creek is not on the exempt list, the portion within the National Park is prohibited under the National Parks Act 1975.
The portion of the Creek travelling through the State Forest may be allowed.

just starting
25 November 2019 07:11 pm

Interesting , Swinging and Digging.

When a map of a National park has areas marked as being allowed to fossick 20 metres either side of the creek that runs through the park ,does that mean you can only fossick along the 20 metres strips on the the banks and not in the creek itself ? And i assume you cannot use a detector on that 20 metres ,also ? Only hand tools and not electronic equipment ? No panning or sluicing in the creek ?

If it wasn`t for bad luck , i would have no luck at all.

2 users like this post: LoneWolf, RM Outback

LoneWolf
25 November 2019 08:24 pm

. This is why some are really confused with all this Conflicting info.... About time all these Departments get together and sort this out... But I can't see it happening any time soon...
Im not up to date with Victoria's rules, but it is sometimes just as confusing in other States as well...

LW....

Growing Old is Inevitable.... Growing Up is Optional.... Prospectors United Will Never Be Defeated

2 users like this post: RM Outback, just starting

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site