QED vs SDC Comparison

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found by some one else with a QED.
And the story is quite entertaining. LOL
I will leave that as it is. O:)
Ridge Runner said:
So did you find that nugget with the QED or was that someone elses find or found by another machine ?

Tathradj said:
Finally I have had an airing with a QED with one of the most experienced Detectorist's in the country and The Tester.
No names will be mentioned but to both Howard and Reg,You will find out.

Any reason why the most experienced Detectorist's in the country and The Tester cannot be named here on this forum.

I assume JP falls into this category as well since he wrote a test report with an early series QED although the PL2 series would be very different.

I got myself a QED.
For me as a newbie detectorist the MOST important factor in my decision was that if it wasn't a QED, then I couldn't afford it.
I had read the tests, opinions, evaluations etc. and I concluded that It will perform.

I have a a machine that under most circumstances it will be as good as the ones that I can't afford and won't ever buy.
If it falls short, then I am satisfied that I'm out there swinging one. I'm learning and progressing.
Yes there might be better machines out there, but they can't match the bang for my bucks that the QED is.

This subject with the above comments reinforces my decision to go with the QED

Why compare different detectors get the one you want learn how to use it and be happy who cares what other detectors do cheers Muk.

Top shot Muk.
Very true. No matter what machine you get, Put the bloody time into research first.
Then learn what your machine is telling you.
Every machine has it's strenght's and weakness's.
We all want to make it as easy as possible to find what we want but,
It ain't easy.
We also all want our pride and joy to make it so easy to just go find nuggets and many of them.
Not going to happen unless you put the hard yards into the first two points above.
Then you might be lucky enough to pull it off.
Most importantly after all that, there are a lot of good folk's out there that all they want is to just
go and enjoy themselves and maybe, just maybe, Find some thing to Bragg about.
And that is where the real gold is. :100: :100:

Doesn't seem to be any comparison info since the QED was Upgraded in August 2019. Anyone have anything to offer

Tathradj said:
Top shot Muk.
Very true. No matter what machine you get, Put the bloody time into research first.
Then learn what your machine is telling you.
Every machine has it's strenght's and weakness's.
We all want to make it as easy as possible to find what we want but,
It ain't easy.
We also all want our pride and joy to make it so easy to just go find nuggets and many of them.
Not going to happen unless you put the hard yards into the first two points above.
Then you might be lucky enough to pull it off.
Most importantly after all that, there are a lot of good folk's out there that all they want is to just
go and enjoy themselves and maybe, just maybe, Find some thing to Bragg about.
And that is where the real gold is. :100: :100:
well said I have a QED but have not used as I had a bad fall so a bit limited as
to using it but after reading your report on getting to know your detector better
I will try it again many thanks and keep it going
mond

Dave 63, the latest updates on the PL2 now make it possible to run DD and concentric coils on your QED, and the totally new DSM (Dynamic Spectrum Modulation) ground balance has made a big improvement in stability. The GB range is now from 0 to 300 where as the earlier range was 0 to 200. Factory reset is now 150 which has caused a bit of confusion as this figure is way too low in most goldfield soil types. I recommend that QED owners who have the latest updates should begin ground balancing at 200 to 220 and in some of the hotter ground GB may not be obtained until adjusted to 270. Different coils will also make a difference in achieving a good GB, with the Russian X coils being a prime example.
What is noticeable since the update, is that the auto GB function is not performing, even when the bias is set at null, so I do not attempt to use this function other than to switch back to setting 1 from any of the other settings.
12" x 6" X coils for QED are on their way from Russia at the moment, and are a very smooth and stable option. Two testers have been using these coils for some weeks now and have found that they are a delight to use on the QED.

Thx Reg

It is all coming together. I just have to put the time in on the QED

Cheers

Thanks to all, especially Reg. This entire topic has been a great education for me. It's great to hear seasoned veterans give fair and unbiased summations on their equipment so the rest of us 'on the fence' about buying gear will have some line of reference.

It's been a hard road for the QED with so many attacks upon its introduction to the detecting scene. Fortunately, it has survived the concentrated denigration of a dedicated group of saboteurs to become a proven option to the more expensive foreign manufactured machines.

The latest QED PL3 is a treat to use utilising Howard's new DSM ground balancing system and extended mode. Still less than $2,000 and performance comparable with detectors several times that price.

Increasing sales prove that the prospecting public have come to accept that the QED has become a recognised brand of gold recovering machinery.

I dont know anything about the qed but do know the sdc is a awesome machine I dont know why people want to compare machines against each other just do your research on a machine then pick the one you want and then learn how to use it there are a lot of good detectors out there no need to bag any pick the one you want and go for it cheers Muk.

Mirrors, if your ground balance goes from 0-300 then your PL2 is actually up to PL3 specs and needs no update, however if your GB is 0-200 then your machine can be updated.

Latest posts