Understanding maps... help!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All, trying to research a couple of old mines ive learnt about... came across a prospecting report from the 70s that said there was traces of gold but obviously not enough for a mine to open. I am looking at all sorts of maps to see where exactly it is and if i can get on to the land... im kinda losing my mind though and need someone to tell me that the shaded out areas are out of bounds? Right??
1574230149_screen_shot_2019-11-20_at_5.01.01_pm_copy.jpg

No, not from my view. The shaded area may be under an Exploration lease, and if not in a Fossicking District then permission from the leaseholder is required. Contact them, details via Mineview.

Try finding the OLD forestry fossicking maps (archived), they show mine locations in SF. Removed from current maps.

No, not necessarily 'Out of Bounds'........ Gimp is also correct...

In NSW, if the area you are looking at is in a 'declared fossicking district' and IS under an EL lease, you DO NOT need the lease holders permission to fossick..
This only applies if it is an EL Lease, and, if it is on Private land you Still do require the Land-owners permission, but not the Lease holders...

I read that map as the Shaded area is Under a lease... So, is it in a Fossicking District ?
if so and it is an Exploration Lease (EL) BUT not on Private Property... Go for it...
If it was Me, I would still ask the Lease-holders Permission as they may have heavy machinery Working in the area... And don't want you in the area due to O.H&S. (A Site Inspection by You will determine if they have Machinery there)...

On another note:
In NSW a 'Land Owner' is Exempt from any Legal Responsibility if you have their Written Permission to be there 'Under the Fossicking Act'.... but this has never been tested in a Court of Law and most land owners are reluctant to grant you permission until this has been done...

If you get your post count up to 10, you can send a PM (Private Message).... ;) And I can help you further...

LW...

True, I just follow the 'Fossicking Act' as that's what im doing and they are the Rules.... When Questioned, that's what I get out of the car and they cant argue... NPWS have tried but stopped when I showed them the Act..

These days you need a copy with you to prove that you comply with the act as some haven't got a clue...

LW...

Ahhh. You know I just thought Id pick up a detector and find some gold :lol:
Now Im knee deep in land leaseholds, geology, science, cartography!
Thanks LW, I *think* youve helped me get my head around it but will definitely be asking more in the future Im sure!