⭐ Alluvial Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a prime example of why newcomers (like myself especially) need guidance to ensure we are doing the right thing. Which as far as I know, I am. But certain aspects remain elusive, as hard as I try to find out the information on the web.

Sadly to say, when I have asked questions here in the past, the answers either come back in riddles or non-existent at all. This is even when I have queried about specific locations, which I know for a fact that certain moderators have excellent knowledge of.

But the questions get avoided like the plague.

It's not like I am a big time prospector either and am going to horde all of the gold. I might go out for a quick half hour stint at a time and that's it. In total I have 0.06 grams to by name and I have loved every minute of it.

I am just a guy with a hobby that wants to do the right thing, like almost everyone else here.

This is copied from the Guide to Fossicking in NSW

https://www.resourcesandgeoscience..../A-Guide-to-Fossicking-in-New-South-Wales.PDF

Also check this site
https://www.resourcesandgeoscience.nsw.gov.au/miners-and-explorers/fossicking-in-nsw

How much can I take?
Fossicking is limited to taking no more than the amounts prescribed in the Mining Regulation 2009
during any single period of 48 hours.
This includes 10 kg of mineral-bearing material, 5 kg of minerals
(other than gold or gemstones), 50 grams of gold (or 5 nuggets of 10 grams or greater) or 100 grams
of gemstones. Gemstones refer to Group 6 and Group 7 minerals listed in Schedule 2 of the Mining
Regulation 2010 and include diamond, sapphire, ruby, corundum and opal.

Stick with that in NSW and should be OK.

Out and back early to beat the heat

1574209017_a7363f6d-d0b8-4d46-bdff-b9d4f21d64b0.jpg

1574209017_69bc00ee-f3f4-4d1b-93b8-423be6af58e9.jpg

There's an unusual amount of gold in your area mate.
And yes I am jelious :lol:
You may need to change your camera settings as I can't help but wonder why every photo the gold looks like river gravel.
You must be getting a good collection by now :beer:

Smoky bandit said:
There's an unusual amount of gold in your area mate.
And yes I am jelious :lol:
You may need to change your camera settings as I can't help but wonder why every photo the gold looks like river gravel.
You must be getting a good collection by now :beer:
The gold from his area just doesn't have a bright sheen dude.
1574285982_10670107_608110229297714_3353597685876897870_n.jpg

Found a deep pocket behind a large peice of bedrock running almost paralel with the creek at Ophir
At first i thought it would be crap because when I cleared the top few inches of gravel the hole was full of fine plant roots ( like a fine moss ) and very dark grey/black clay.
The first couple of pans I got a few small specks so I ket going and cleaned out the bottom of the hole by then it was full of dark almost black water and muddy clay.
I put it all in the pan and sat by the water and worked through the clay moss/ roots and got rid of all the gravels.
i was shocked to see lots of flaky peices of gold Micxed amongst the fine gravel and sand.
I asked the digger to start recording while i did the last part of the clean up and washed away the sand.
You can hear me saying a few times one pan And it was probably the best pan of the trip too. :D

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/1IMGoUlc0Ko[/video]

1574733863_ce47df8b-4f22-4235-8f80-c3d9fe5e5cd0.jpg

22shells said:
Great gold there jamiealdridge! Few little bits today from S.A.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3817/1576644740_pc181055.jpg

thats some weird looking gold mate, has a sheen to it like brass slag

Pretty reefy and not water worn, hasn't travelled far. Magnified in the photo too, the biggest bit would almost be detectable size if it was shallow. I probably have detected smaller bits than that with the SDC.

Yeah and they were the big ones! That I could get out of the pan with my finger. Would have also been around 30-40 tiny bits that I just slurped straight into the sniffer bottle. From 2 buckets of dirt I put through the sluice.

Latest posts