⭐ Show Us Your Cut Stones - Before And After Photos

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:) Thanks for the feedback :)

It is my first frosted design stone Hu so I thought topaz was the way to go. This one is very clear but does have two golden rutile needles and a couple of bubbles concealed in an edge for authenticity {) but they seem to always surprise you in some way.

This one is perfectly clear from above but has a distinct, but subtle, golden yellow tone when looking across the stone, it presented completely clear throughout the cutting and surprised me with the colour effect once it was liberated from the dop. Perhaps it is just the rutile needle light bouncing around......not really sure. I do have some rough blues that seem to have stronger colour in certain directions but have never noticed a yellow tone in my stones. :zzz: Will need to take better notice.

I have some large topaz set aside for doing a spider design, but I am trying to get hold of another variation of the same star with a deeper pavilion to see how the higher cutting angles influence the outcome.

Looking forward to seeing your big blue sapphire cut :inlove: :gemstone: :inlove:

Yes, I'm looking forward to cutting the Sapphire

Also have a few interesting designs, Dragonfly, Nightwing which is a Bat, Cheshire the Cat plus Celtic cross and the Eureka Cross if you're looking for any more. They're all designs for Quartz so will need adjusting for Topaz, only have them on paper though. :(

I got hold of some crystal opal rough from my brother. It looked like it had some colour in it but the results were far better than expected with these three showing beautiful colour play in the light. :rainbow: I had to take these photos in the shade as the reflected colour overpowers the iPhone camera.

1575167929_9a63ed98-82d9-488d-b689-5b995c533b3b.jpg

1575167930_4fc78efe-9f1f-4bfa-8eff-9f1b3359c0e0.jpg

1575167930_70e46ecc-fcaf-4983-a7fc-776c46481be0.jpg

Yum! I never tire of opal. I did a contract job, in Port Douglas, for the woman who owned the underground mine in Coober Pedy and noticed, no, not noticed, was floored by this green opal around her neck. Man!, it was fit for royalty, just stunning.

I know what you mean Pat. There is something about exposing that band of colour that is kind of magical.
Im only new to opal appreciation but Im loving being able to work it... even with my limited skill set and equipment. :)

Cheers LW. There is something about hand shaping stones on those diamond plates that I really enjoy and opal seems perfectly suited to this method. Slow and steady wins the race with opals I reckon.?
Nice work Alex bunyip. Looks like youre struggling to get the perfect photograph like I do. You can never seem to quite capture the colour you can see in front of you. Do you make the settings?

Thanks Martyz. They are a bugger to photo. I do the rough under water (pro photographer tip) I buy the settings off eBay. Sterling silver. Sold that one to someone in the US.

Latest posts