Whites TDI SL vs Minelab SDC2300 ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. That's a good point you make there. A high frequency VLF will also find that type of gold. Would be a cheaper and lighter option than an sdc.

Gday

Yes a high frequency VLF will find very small gold but unlike the sdc they will not handle the very highly mineralised soils in some areas, but you also have to remember that vlf detectors were the predecessors to the pulse induction machines, they would find shallow gold and small pieces on or near the surface but struggled with depth and running quietly on bad ground, initially the pi detectors killed everything else on the goldfields on big gold, but people stated to complain that they didn't get the small gold that they did with the vlf detectors, that's when they started modding the pi detectors, like the sd2000 adding two higher frequency chips (hot chip mods) to make it more sensitive to small gold.

They have come a long way since then, and I have worked places where even a top of the range pi detector will struggle to cope with the ground using dd coils, no hope with a mono coil at all, up until the advent of the Gpx4500 with the enhance mode since then you could work these spots with mono coils, a vlf could not cope and was far too noisy to be effective at all, from experience I would never favor a vlf detector over a pi detector for hunting gold, although I do use a vlf sovereign gt in the goldfields looking for coins and relics and it only because of its discrimination abilities due to the amount of rubbish around.

cheers

stayyerAU

I Wish they would have a second version of the SDC available. Hip mounted to take some weight off them.
My gold bug2 is unbelievably light when you slide the box off the shaft and belt mount it.
The box is way off the ground /dust/dirt when you put the shaft down whilst digging targets.

Yes. You can't beat a PI for depth in mineralized ground. Personally I agree. Heavy machines are a pain to use which is why I'm loving my Whites pro Oz. Well balanced and easy to swing. And the SL as you know is even easier. Have you looked at the Nokta Gold Kruzer. Yes it is VLF but from what I've seen it seems to be a very capable Gold Finder. Nenads Video on this forum shows some great results on species. It's very high frequency and may be an interesting choice for you. Easy to swing too and great value for money. Regards... Ronnie. :D

I think it would be 99% equation if you where to put both detectors side by side and said " pick only one free prize of the two".......
Budget always makes people compromise...
Some compromise.... but won't admit they did so...

Personally I think the SDC could have been lighter. The chunky clunky design of the shaft I suspect weighs a bit. Imagine the electronics of it mounted in a package more like the QED. A good example to show a good performing PI does not need to be in a heavy package.

Disagree , the shaft is light and its retractable design is fantastically convenient. Ive owned one from the start and have never had a problem with its design , weight or ergonomics. I can swing this machine all day for days at a time without a problem . Its robust collapsible design allows easy storage and can handle being knocked around in the back of the car with all the other gear unlike some of the lighter designed detectors . The sdc is in a league of its own . It does a specific job , thats finding the small bits left behind by other detectors in highly mineralized ground and does it well . Wouldnt be without one :Y:
Cheers Booney.

I dont understand how the sdc is heavy I agree totally with booney awesome detector love mine cheers Muk.

The TDI is now available with a different coil , an 8"x12" HighQ coil, something else to consider.
The newer coil is supposed to be more sensitive then the previous coil ,12" round coil.
Currently the TDI SL HighQ, is also on offer with a small coil added to the kit.

Cheers.
Lee

My TDI SL with Sadie & LiIon battery is 1.8kg & well balanced , the SDC is 2.3kg - 1/2kg diff. Not sure how signif that is. When I tried a 15"coil on the SL it was heavy and unbalanced and really needed a bungie but the SDC2300 might be fine with the smaller head.

I think I might just wait until next winter, when I am up in Clermont, and hire an SDC2300 for a couple of days from JP, then I can compare the 2 detectors side my side to my hearts satisfaction - both weight/balance & ground handling... Now why didn't I think of that ? :)

Maybe by then you will have a couple more choices in machines. There are a couple in the works.

mxt sniper said:
Maybe by then you will have a couple more choices in machines. There are a couple in the works.

I hope more actually see the light and hit the market, as competition is what drives the industry.

Nokta/Makro have indicated that they are currently working on a PI project. Whether it is a dry land or beach based detector is anyone's guess.

I would choose a sdc 2300 over anything but a gpz7000 hands down and if I could I would have both cheers Muk.

To true Muk if my sdc ever wore out I would get another one they are a great thing and wouldnt be without one picked up these with the sdc on flogged ground on the weekend, and my first with a borrowed Z also an amazing machine.
Cheers Booney. :cool:
1574079126_26e4c4f6-1142-44d2-95ff-677368fcfa8e.jpg

1574079126_7522bc52-1628-4695-88bb-2bea891d3e18.jpg

XLOOX said:
Excellent!

By which manufacturers & are they PI ?

There is the Fisher Impulse Terra nugget pi detector being tested right now should be out after first of yr, then there is Whites half sine hybrid nugget detector supposed to be out by the new yr.

Well Ronniecruisin, in the end I picked up a Nokta Gold Kruzer from Phasetech.

I had a good hard think about the 24k ( GMX actually) and in the end I went with the GKruzer but it was close.

First impressions are good and I'll report back on it at the end of winter in the Nokta forum.

Well done XLOOX. I thought the Kruzer would be an interesting machine too. Personally though I would have gone for the Whites. Reason? I think the more mid frequency would make the 24K better for larger gold. Plus the new Ground balancing system appears to be quite an improvement over the old GMT. But I'm sure you will have a heap of fun with your new machine and I wish you well with it. Regards... Ronnie. :)

Latest posts