Minelab Go Find 22 44 66 - New series tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey im new to the whole prospecting thing got no money to spend really so was wondering if any one had used a minelab go find 22 to look for gold and what their thought are considering its only $200 i could buy if will atleast help find some shallow pickers in dry creek beds cheers

YeahTheGold said:
Hey im new to the whole prospecting thing got no money to spend really so was wondering if any one had used a minelab go find 22 to look for gold and what their thought are considering its only $200 i could buy if will atleast help find some shallow pickers in dry creek beds cheers

To be honest save your money. If you only have $200 buy a pan and you will find gold if you look in the right place.
You will only be disappointed if you rely on the gofind 22 fro gold.
Designed as a coin shooter for kids in parks and beaches.
The other option would be joining a club and hiring the clubs detector to work out if detecting is for you.
The club will offer tips and trips to help you be productive.
Do a google search for your area.

Cheers
HH

YeahTheGold said:

This whole question is very unusual. I could break it down, but meh.

So what area in Australia are you from YeahTheGold?

Hi YTG welcome to the forum. As previously stated, you'll be disappointed with the Gofind as a gold machine. Pans or a simple sluice would be better for your $200.

Also HayOoO...not sure what's very unusual about the question, it's a common question amongst people new to the hobby. If you could break it down, please do. But if you're feeling a bit 'meh' why bother even commenting.

Thought so cheers to all the useful commenters will get pan and sluice and head out for a try :pickshovel: :goldpan: :goldnugget:

madtuna said:
Hi YTG welcome to the forum. As previously stated, you'll be disappointed with the Gofind as a gold machine. Pans or a simple sluice would be better for your $200.

Also HayOoO...not sure what's very unusual about the question, it's a common question amongst people new to the hobby. If you could break it down, please do. But if you're feeling a bit 'meh' why bother even commenting.

Why do I have to point EVERYTHING out.
It is very obvious to see in his question, but thats okay. I know what is going on.

But for starters, I don't think most new people ask about buying a $200 detector only if it will find shallow pickers in dry creek beds.

Joined today.....

hAyyoUinAU said:
madtuna said:

Why do I have to point EVERYTHING out.
It is very obvious to see in his question, but thats okay. I know what is going on.

But for starters, I don't think most new people ask about buying a $200 detector only if it will find shallow pickers in dry creek beds.

Joined today.....

Can't recall saying most new people ask, I said it is a common question.

We often get new members introducing themselves stating they have a budget of X dollars (usually under $1000) and what is a good detector for gold in their limited price range. We've had a number of people specifically mention the GoFind range, he's not the first nor will he be the last.

So yes it is a common question and not unique to this forum but common to most.

I've reread his question a number of times and can't see what is "very unusual" about it.
Apparently you know what's going on so yes I was hoping you could" break it down" for the benefit of those (including me) who obviously don't know what's going on.

Yes he joined yesterday. Would it still have been a very unusual question if he joined any other day?

Or is it possible that caught up in your dramatics yesterday, we have an innocent new member asking a perfectly reasonable new member type question and you've mistakenly believed he is the alleged multiple membership SDC wielding internet pervert woman harasser?

Hey, I have no clue, so was hoping you could enlighten me but as you're feeling 'meh' I'm not holding my breath.

What I do know though is, basically naming someone on the forum accusing them of sexual harassment among other things whether true or not could be treading on risky legal grounds for both you and the forum owner and moderators.

G'day and welcome, i started off with a go find 22 and it was soooo much fun!

i found my very first coin with it in a river bed!

Any metal detector will pick up gold by the way it's just how much money you wanna spend on a machine to get the best results.

it's like using a whiting rod to catch a big fish.

you won't be able to detect very deep as their mostly a machine used for a relics but hey it's a start and having fun is all that matters!

best of luck

Well done Daniel, that's a great deal.
Learn to use it on the right type of ground in the right area and you will do well.
Bought mine new 6 months ago and it's already payed for itself in gold.
Good luck and have fun.

Ok guy's please go easy on me as this is my first metal detector.

Now I live on a 85 acre I own with is about 7K's from the old Kanmantoo mine and when the mine was going they come over to my place and had a bit of a look. I did manage to get a copy of the aerial run they did over my farm where the hot spots are shown etc. Now the head geo said to me oneday they over on the next farm and one of the guy's kicked a quartz rock and he found about 2oz of gold sticking to it.

I laughed and said well tell me the general area where he just siad not far from your huge dam :argh:

Anyway my wife told me about these detectors she saw in the bcf store so I went and bought the 66 using afterpay.

My farm has many quartz belts running thru and to date with the small amount of rocks I have gotten I have a found a bit of gold but not enough as yet to quit my day job 8.(

When I got the detector I scanned my front paddock above the shed dam and by a huge rock it went off saying it was metal but I dug away and found what looks to be the swing gate on a butterfly valve that would be well over 100 years old.

Now going out to the back of my farm above the dam I scanned an area where the detector was going crazy but knowing it is solid rock just under the ground. I did find a small nugget that got me just under a $100 so the day wasn't a total ride off.

Cheers Bryan

I know the kanmantoo mine area very well. Worked there as a geo assistant for a while. From reading asx reports they are drilling under ground and in middle of a pfs to re open as underground mine. Pm me if you want any info on the area. Ps I know your property very well too. :)

Prove em all wrong I say.... go the 22.
If ya hearts in it then what else matters (only more money) for the same results.
no harm done if ya find a biggie that they all missed hey !
:goldnugget: :100:

Hey all,

When my $50 Kogan special gave up the ghost in the middle of 2020 (not Covid related) I was in the market for a detector in the $250 to $350 range. I was conscious of not getting on the treadmill of extra features that can see your initial proposed price triple in $30 increments.

So that's how I ended up getting a Go Find 44 for $300 with carry bag.

1613107384_gofind44.jpg

My initial feelings were not that great as I was hoping that the new gear would have me discovering Saxon Hoards in my suburban Brisbane back yard. And the back yard was where I was going to be trying it out, the same back yard I reckoned my Kogan had cleaned out.

It took some getting used to the different way of discrimination but I immediately liked the pinpointer.

I've had it about a month now and, as I will document in my "Finds" thread, it found stuff in my back yard that the Kogan missed. Admittedly I have it on a higher sensitivity but all in all I'm happy with it so far.

I might add my findings when I get it onto the sand later in the year.

B

Latest posts