Where to research newbie

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, Im just getting in to detecting but having a lot of trouble understanding how you all know where to go... and Ive been reading a lot, googling endlessly, still got no idea.
I travel between Canberra and parkes often so Im interested in areas around there. But you all talk of going on to gold fields, how do I find out where they are?
Also if I see an area of land thats not fenced off, how do I know if its public or private?
Im interested in the wee jasper and Gundagai areas too.
Sorry if its all been asked before:)

For NSW you could start with Minview (Which I notice now also shows Fossicking Districts)
You can add layers for all the mineral resources (Gold), State Forests SCA etc. (just click on the add layers and explore what is there)

https://minview.geoscience.nsw.gov....8382691106&lon=-35.17974277193522&z=11&bm=bm3
This link should have Gold, Ruby and sapphire layers added

This will show you all the major goldfields (By Name)
https://www.finders.com.au/gold-pages/australian-goldfields/nsw-goldfields/

That is where you have to start researching.
Go out with other prospectors.
Contact local councils and ask questions.

I am sure others here will know more about specific locations that you mentioned.

Oh yeah - welcome to PA Forum :D

Have a look at miners den in Canberra they should help you out with some maps and advice
Cheers Booney :cool:

Also when you have 10 posts you can read the members sections for meetups.
Not many down that way but you never know..
Good to get out with like minded peeps and learn something along the way

Eldorado said:
Booney said:
Have a look at miners den in Canberra they should help you out with some maps and advice
Cheers Booney :cool:
There's a Miners den in Canberra?

Just a pop up store according to their website, so NO miners den in Canberra, Sydney's your closest. Apart from that Trove is a good resource of info not sure about the rest of NSW. Try your local library :Y: I reckon Canberra would have a decent library :Y: there again I wouldn't know.

Latest posts