Wireless set-ups for the QED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is very early on for me to say its fully compatible i guess. But am super impressed so far.
I will report further in a week ir two again after further testing.. for reliability puropses etc..

In the meantime please dont buy the signal sender in the first set of ebay photos.. you need one with a battery. I wish i could delete that photo. Is it possible?

Moderator Edit.

Done like a dinner.

G'Day All

Used the Quest wireless today. Worked beautifully. I had it turned right up full ( I do use hearing aids ) Signals where crisp and clear. No Gold, Rifle cartridges, ring pulls, bits of aluminum the usual rubbish. Off to Warwick tomorrow for a good look around

Down side - The metal belt clip on the Quest receiver came out of its recesses and I lost it at some point. :mad: So had to put it in my pocket.

QED worked perfectly

Cheers

So after testing, eventually the issue with the first set i had was the latency, being about 250m/s. It was just a bit too much delay to be of much use without slowing swing speed drasticly. So that set ended up as an early christmas present for someone.
Still wanting to find a solutuon i ordered a set of low latancy earbuds (clari air 2) and transmitter (tc417) by avantree. They worked beautifully. The delay issue solved. The audio is very clear and volume is great (volume is about 3/4 on earbuds and 3/4 on transmitter. The battery life of the earbuds is 6hrs and the transmitter runs 20 hours.
So, most important thing for blutooth earbuds is that both transmitter and earbuds are low latency (same as kleer with senheisser i guess).
The low latency transmitter is a little bigger and heavier than the initial one i pictured, but it still velcros into the side of the control box without being intrusive.
Earbuds cost about $60 and the transmitter cost me about $80. So is a similar price to the quest setup, but to me its better as my earbuds arent connected to a reciever clipped to my waist or harness.
So in the end am very happy with the setup

Nice one hippyhunter, you wouldn't have a photo of the setup on the QED, curious to see how it looks hanging off the side.

Cheers

Look to the right and tell me the number of the post
you want fixed.
Send me a PM.
Only too happy to help... :Y:

hippyhunter said:
It is very early on for me to say its fully compatible i guess. But am super impressed so far.
I will report further in a week ir two again after further testing.. for reliability puropses etc..

In the meantime please dont buy the signal sender in the first set of ebay photos.. you need one with a battery. I wish i could delete that photo. Is it possible?

Styles9423 said:
Nice one hippyhunter, you wouldn't have a photo of the setup on the QED, curious to see how it looks hanging off the side.

Cheers

1576318264_20191214_210414.jpg

1576318295_20191214_210624.jpg

1576318343_20191214_210708.jpg

I have discovered an issue using the bluetooth setup in that it does require a volume boost to be able to hear the faint threshold required for smaller nuggets. I need to consider amplification, or another option unfortunately or i will only ever find large nuggets :)

hippyhunter, I use and recommend the Quest WiFi system. No lag and a volume control on the receiver. The price is $148.00, which is quite reasonable when compared to either the Garrett or Minelab systems. This setup has enough volume for QED, and when combined with a good set of noise cancelling headphones or earbuds is hard to beat.

One bit of advice I would offer is not to mount a transmitter on the electronics box, but either on the stem or armrest as some WiFi and Bluetooth transmitters interfere with the electronics, making the audio noisy and unstable. The Sennheiser system is just such a case. When I first used that brand, it took me a while to wake up to the reason my PL2 had become noisy. After mounting the transmitter further from the electronics it worked perfectly. This system is excellent on QED as it has volume control on transmitter and headphones, but is not noise cancelling.

pinfire opals said:
Increase you ths A to 70 to 75, you should get a good threshold around there with no amp, but one will make a huge diff. Under $20 on ebay.
I have tried one of the under $20 ebay jobbies
The one that i tried at least gave only a small boost of volume. There where many option there though. Maybee i picked a dog? ?

Reg Wilson said:
hippyhunter, I use and recommend the Quest WiFi system. No lag and a volume control on the receiver. The price is $148.00, which is quite reasonable when compared to either the Garrett or Minelab systems. This setup has enough volume for QED, and when combined with a good set of noise cancelling headphones or earbuds is hard to beat.

One bit of advice I would offer is not to mount a transmitter on the electronics box, but either on the stem or armrest as some WiFi and Bluetooth transmitters interfere with the electronics, making the audio noisy and unstable. The Sennheiser system is just such a case. When I first used that brand, it took me a while to wake up to the reason my PL2 had become noisy. After mounting the transmitter further from the electronics it worked perfectly. This system is excellent on QED as it has volume control on transmitter and headphones, but is not noise cancelling.

i will have to think about the quest as it doesnt seem like the 100% perfect solution but good performance. I wish sennheiser had an earbud version of what you have. They also sound really good performance wise.

I did have my bluetooth transmitter next to the control box actually. I didnt notice any interference as such, but maybee if the volume was louder i may have i guess (threshold wise)

Latest posts