You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

ctxkid
03 November 2019 07:32 am

Nightjar wrote:

Condor, Bicter, CTX or any other who can help?
Have often thought about it but hesitated, would using a bread maker be out of the question while free camping, considering the bake time is around an hour?
Have a large inverter hard wired in caravan.

never thought about it till now , i'll get back to you

...................................................Such is life........................................................
Oldest Copper coin 1799 left seated half penny, Oldest Silver 1834 Shilling

PabloP
03 November 2019 07:57 pm

Condor -

Yep I had the Bluetooth freezing problem with earlier versions and reported it, but so far have not had that problem with the new version, not that I am sure that it won't happen again. I have had quite good support from them, but then they are only a few kms from my place, and I call around there if it is something that I believe needs technical support. Even had several of their top engineers doing face to face type fault finding when an earlier App would not connect to the Samsung mobile I was using at the time. I guess that and the van high current need got me into the early beta/adopter group. I don't pull any punches with things that I find that I don't like, but they haven' given me the boot yet.

Rob P.

Last edited by PabloP (03 November 2019 07:58 pm)

SDC 2300, Xterra 705, GPZ 7000

CreviceSucker
05 November 2019 10:00 pm

Nightjar wrote:
bicter wrote:

Having said all that the simple solution, if fuel supply isn't a problem, would be to run the genny for the duration of cooking or crank up the camp oven smile

Me thinks you have nailed the the simple bread making.
Me cutting a mates loaf he baked using genny. (Jon is a wag who donated these Jimmy hats)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … .celia.jpg

Got a tip for the camp bread lovers.

Put a handful of macadamia nuts in to your usual bread mix , it makes the loaf a bit more moist , lighter , more “fluffy” and I don’t mean someone Farted.

I have a Panasonic one it’s awesome , I use the laucke premix flour.

This is only a small loaf , I can get them 8 inches tall.

1572951624_de1f9402-fedd-4b47-b083-ef789cd4c307.jpg

Last edited by CreviceSucker (05 November 2019 10:02 pm)

Nightjar
05 November 2019 10:52 pm

Crevice S,
Are you sure?
They don't look like macadamia nuts?

Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

1 user likes this post: robmoto

CreviceSucker
05 November 2019 11:02 pm

Nightjar wrote:

Crevice S,
Are you sure?
They don't look like macadamia nuts?

I throw the macadamia in whole but the kneading action breaks them up into tiny pieces you can barely see.

The black things are linseed or black sesame. ( laucke multigrain soy and linseed ) , The German Grain mix is pretty chunky if you like whole meal.

Your photo shows a plain white flour mix ?

Whatever your style of loaf you can’t beat fresh hot bread with butter melting off it. tongue

3 users like this post: Nightjar, robmoto, Gilly47

Nightjar
07 November 2019 08:17 pm

Arrived today but the instructions are a bit of a worry.

Opening paragraph of instruction;
1. Safety precautions
Caution: Shouting a rechargeable battery or Wat Meter connected to a .................
:lol:

Question: I have matching Anderson plug on rear end of ute that plugs into caravan. My thoughts are, the Watt Meter/Power Analyzer would connect here?
My set up is;
Alternator to starting batteries to auxiliary battery to rear of ute to caravan to charge van batteries while travelling and the Amp hungry fridge is running.
There are two solenoids in the system along with two 100amp fuses, one at auxiliary battery exit and the other close to the vans two 110AH batteries.

If anyone can make sense of this will the Meter do the job?

Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

bicter
07 November 2019 08:55 pm

Nightjar,
The meter measures the current/power passing through it.
If you connect to the anderson at rear of van, you will only measure the current/power passing between the car and van.
What do you want to measure?
Normally, you would put it between solar and battery to measure solar power delivered to the battery or put it between the battery and the load to measure the amount of power delivered by the battery over a measured period of time. For instance, use it to measure the total amphours used by you over a period of time, such as an hour or 24 hour.
Hope that sheds some light on how it's used

1 user likes this post: Nightjar

ctxkid
08 November 2019 06:44 am

the fridge is the load side , and the battery the other , Bicter is on the money

and yes the nippas don't have anyone proof read their instructions lol

Last edited by ctxkid (08 November 2019 06:59 am)

...................................................Such is life........................................................

1 user likes this post: Nightjar

Nightjar
08 November 2019 11:03 am

bicter wrote:

Nightjar,
The meter measures the current/power passing through it.
Hope that sheds some light on how it's used

Thanks for the help. Watched a number of Youtubes last night and the picture is quite clear now.
Will discard the useless digital meter on the box of tricks and tap this one in on the "load" side to keep an eye on both fridges and detector/GPS/Radio and other sundries that get charged.
If this is successful will purchase another meter and put it in the "source", solar
Has anyone made up the 9V patch lead to keep the meter ticking over through the night if hooked up to solar, if so where did you buy the three pin plug?
Was looking to buy the meter local (gulp) double+ compared to online. $39 local, $17 online.

Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

condor22
08 November 2019 03:15 pm

Why is this need Nightjar ? (9V bat) Does this meter lose it's data at night if on a solar circuit?

BTW, what is the quiescent current drain? (or how much does the meter use to work?)

My monitors are <10mA which is about a 1/4 of an AH per day.

grubstake
08 November 2019 06:24 pm

condor22 wrote:

Why is this need Nightjar ? (9V bat) Does this meter lose it's data at night if on a solar circuit?
BTW, what is the quiescent current drain? (or how much does the meter use to work?)

These meters measure from 0 - 60V, but only operate from 8 - 60V without an auxilliary power source. Meter internal power usage (ie. quiescent current), isn't stated in the specs. Any power interruption (eg. solar ending at dusk), resets their cumulative/average tallies, which start afresh when power is restored.

Where it is, there it is.

ctxkid
08 November 2019 06:25 pm

condor22 wrote:

they drop the data when disconnected/no solar

ctxkid
08 November 2019 06:28 pm

grubstake wrote:

These meters measure from 0 - 60V, but only operate from 8 - 60V without an auxilliary power source. Meter internal power usage (ie. quiescent current), isn't stated in the specs. Any power interruption (eg. solar ending at dusk), resets their cumulative/average tallies, which start afresh when power is restored.

hook a 9 volt up to the pins and it will keep it all active, loosing nothing wink

1 user likes this post: pinfire opals

Ded Driver
08 November 2019 06:30 pm

just dont leave a 9v battery connected across the pins whilst plugged into the solar panel! bomb

Last edited by Ded Driver (08 November 2019 06:30 pm)

APLA member, GPX4000, modded SD2100, XTerra705, GM1000, Whites MXT Pro, Nokta Pointer, sP01 Enhancer, Garmin GPSMAP 64S, kti PLB, a map, all sorts of coils & a cupla buckets full of hope & enthusiasm

ctxkid
08 November 2019 06:32 pm

Ded Driver wrote:

just dont leave a 9v battery connected across the pins whilst plugged into the solar panel! bomb

that is not mentioned sad

Nightjar
09 November 2019 11:34 am

condor22 wrote:

Question already partly answered. The 9V required to retain data through hours of darkness if monitoring solar.
0.01 is showing on screen with meter plugged into source without any load attached. Surmising that is the running expense?
Still trying to find a three pin plug to make up a lead.

Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

grubstake
09 November 2019 12:28 pm

Nightjar wrote:

Can somebody please identify the auxiliary power socket on these meters and if possible, the functions of the three pins:
1573262809_2019-11-09_09.23.31.jpg

Where it is, there it is.

ctxkid
09 November 2019 03:31 pm

it is pinned out in the instructions , i dont use it

Nightjar
09 November 2019 07:00 pm

Here is a Youtube relative description of the operation of the Watt Meter Power Analyzer;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jejmnOgck3M&t=31s

Last edited by Nightjar (09 November 2019 07:01 pm)

Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

1 user likes this post: grubstake

condor22
09 November 2019 10:42 pm

To all thanks for the info.

ctxkid
10 November 2019 07:26 am

Nightjar wrote:

Here is a Youtube relative description of the operation of the Watt Meter Power Analyzer;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jejmnOgck3M&t=31s

very long winded , but accurate

bicter
10 November 2019 07:41 am

Nightjar wrote:

Nightjar,
If you're still looking for the 3 pin connector, have a look at Jaycar https://www.jaycar.com.au/3-pin-0-1-hea … h/p/HM3403

You will need to confirm the correct pitch & pin dim'n as I don't have a unit to check against.

or if you have an old broken down computer, you may be able to salvage a connector with wires from it, particularly check the fan connnectors in the Power supply

Terry

Last edited by bicter (10 November 2019 07:42 am)

3 users like this post: ctxkid, Nightjar, Ded Driver

Nightjar
10 November 2019 08:03 pm

Did some mods to the "box of tricks today, removed the old meter and the WMPA slotted into the spot snugly, will tidy it up tomorrow now I know everything is working,
The source is one of the $5.00 batteries in the shed to do the tests with the Watt Meter/Power Analyzer.
Battery source - WMPA - Engel + load.
Old Engel and couple of other items powered up.
Everything turned off it is showing a 0.15 amp load. The only load is the PWM regulator lights (have a small solar on roof) and the WMPA.

1573376570_box_of_tricks_009.jpg

Last edited by Nightjar (10 November 2019 08:06 pm)

Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

1 user likes this post: ctxkid

bicter
10 November 2019 09:00 pm

Nightjar,
PWM's by their nature will always have a parasitic current drain.
150mA is quite high and should be avoided. I isolate the battery from the PWM and only connect it when 240V is required. This ensure theres is absolutely no parasitic current drain on the battery.

By the way, is that a wind speed/wind direction module bottom right of the piccy?

Nightjar
10 November 2019 11:22 pm

bicter wrote:

Nightjar,
PWM's by their nature will always have a parasitic current drain.
150mA is quite high and should be avoided. I isolate the battery from the PWM and only connect it when 240V is required. This ensure theres is absolutely no parasitic current drain on the battery.

By the way, is that a wind speed/wind direction module bottom right of the piccy?

Bicter, Can you elaborate, I don't understand your mention of only connecting the PWM when 240V is required?

Bottom RH of pic is a little eBay kit I soldered together, bit of training, it reads, time, date, month, year, temperature, don't usually have it running.

Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site