AM Sluices and gemstones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben78

Ben
Reaction score
Anyone running the AM style sluice, do they pick up all the gemstones and spinel etc when in a creek?

If they pick up the spinel will the gold still drop below the spinel no worries or is it a constant cleanup effort?

They won't hold ALL the gems reliably, I've found a few small Sapphires, Zircons and Garnets in mine, heaps of Spinel. Anything round seems to go straight out, seems to me to be the flatter ones that will stay in the riffles, held down by the pressure/negative pressure I guess.

I usually let mine sit for a few mins after feeding it to let it clear a bit before cleanout. It needs cleaning out regularly if there is heaps of Black Sand.

Any larger round gems would probably get dislodged by other incoming pepples, once material (appart from Gold) gets any momentum it just seems to bounce around and roll out the end.

Just my observations, I'd love them to reliably catch all the gems. In a gemstone area I just sieve as normal and classify down to 1/8 of an inch into a tub, then run the classified material through the sluice for any Gold.

By design though they are meant to clear stuff lighter than Gold, maybe they do it too well. :)

G0lddigg@ said:
hey ben78 i've just started running the Boss AU trap it holds the gems around mate not the small ones but the drop riffles def hold a few have a look here at some pics i posted https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4439

Did you find a similar thing with the flatter stones Golddigg? Will test mine next time I'm out with a few round 10ct bomb Sapphires and see if I can get them to sit in there.

come to think of it most of the gems that held up were well executed and had nice flat sides :) not all but some that is with minimal water, with heaps of water they all hold fine, means more cleanouts but only takes 10 seconds anyway, like making a super concentrate to run at home.

Yeah the cleanouts are soooo easy, gotta love that. I'm wondering whether one of Wal's River sluices would be much better for gems, or a Wal inspired gem catching section or attachment for the AM. Could put it before the AM, or after to catch any gems that run through the AM.

I was thinking before could or would smooth out water flow also, after may bugger with the water flow unless dropped a few inches below the output of the AM. Got me thinking though. What do you guys think?

WalnLiz stream sluice vid. This one seems to catch a lot more of the larger heavy spinel type stuff. Looks like it would surely catch most Sapphire and Zircon.

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9JzXikgHN8[/video]

I was thinking the same thing, probably better to have a slick plate at the end followed by raised mesh like wals

Heatho, I just don't have the water flow to support Wal's style of sluice which is why I am looking at the AM drop riffle type. If they caught 50% of sapphire and zircon I'd be happy, currently classifying at 1/4" and panning I see a few zircons washed out.

Yeah, was only just enough flow at Uralla when I was there 2 months ago. Could maybe try putting the 1/8 after the AM, only takes 20 seconds to quickly sieve and centre any gems and flip the sieve for a look.

50% might not be unattainable with just the sluice alone, but with the 1/8 after it you won't miss any.

Latest posts