Slaty Creek, Creswick Victoria information and questions.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if slaty creek has any water in it at the moment, I was wanting to head up that way and run the high banker tomorrow, any info would be great, thanks in advance

Have not looked at,but one of the branches is flowing into lake george,which is smaller than slaty so I would say that it be 100% that it is flowing.

Regards Frank

Well got out to slaty creek today to run the high banker for the first time, rapped how it went, pump was spot on for the job and the banker worked like a charm, got a little gold and some garnets but was just good to get out amongst it with the kids, have BBQ and enjoy a day in the bush

Gday all only 7 days until mine and my familys adventure begins fist place we are stopping is slaty creek at cresswick in victoria has anyone been there and know what its like also the next place is inglewood :)

panning or detecting? I have panned and sluiced there a bit and it's pretty good if you go to mongrel areas that others haven't been tenacious enough to bother themselves with.

Hi folks,

The old man and I are closing in on a long held dream of ours to try out gold prospecting.

We are booked in the do a 1 day guided tour/trip on a Saturday out of Creswick, Victoria with 'Gold and Relics' in early December. We have decided to make a weekend of this and are camping at Slaty creek for a few days just south of Creswick. I have heard that you can go panning in the creek and fossicking around the creek. My question is.....on the Friday before we do the tour should we just try our luck panning in the creek or should we hire a detector (1 days hire) from Ballarat as we pass through on our way to Creswick?

We are completely new to this and are just looking to have a crack so any advice about Slaty creek and whether we should just do panning or detecting (or both) that would be great. We are thinking its safe to assume that the creek is running.

Thanks in advance

Dale

Hi Dale, I would hire a couple of detectors like the SDC2300 or the GPX7000. Pi detectors are better for going deeper than most of them unless you walk onto a nugget with and old VLF detector. :)

Thanks Jaros.....I know the place I've been looking at to hire a detector has the SDC2300 on offer.

Play with panning, do the course with gold and relics and then if you are hooked they will hire out a detector to you at a discounted rate for a day. You will enjoy, can highly recommend gold and relics as I did their course some years ago.

Bob

Thanks guys for all the advice. Getting super pumped watching the various youtube videos on Slaty Creek

Apart from the creek and some its small tributaries may also be worth while panning off some of the dirt from the old times holes in the area.

There are a few dams/waterholes in the area, grab a bucket or so of dirt and pan off at the dam.

Slaty Creek seems to always give up a little no matter how many times its been dug over.

Good luck, T.

Oh and you should do OK hiring a detector .... think SDC, switch on and go, dynamite on small gold (but finds the bigger stuff as well.

Latest posts