Minelab Equinox 800 vs 600

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nuggetbuster said:
Smoky bandit said:
Upside said:
The ctx3030 is a nice looking machine but how much of that price tag is the gps? I'm guessing a decent chunk of it. Still a neat machine though.

The 600 seems quite settled in wet sand compared to my 705. The price tags are quite similar with them.
They run so quiet on the beach.....well my 800 does..i sometimes have to check it's working....my 705 was nearly unbearable on wet salty beach :Y:

600 runs same on beach as 800 does (when in beach multi). I have had both
Yep thought so..

Upside said:
Nuggetbuster said:
Smoky bandit said:
Upside said:
The ctx3030 is a nice looking machine but how much of that price tag is the gps? I'm guessing a decent chunk of it. Still a neat machine though.

The 600 seems quite settled in wet sand compared to my 705. The price tags are quite similar with them.
They run so quiet on the beach.....well my 800 does..i sometimes have to check it's working....my 705 was nearly unbearable on wet salty beach :Y:

600 runs same on beach as 800 does (when in beach multi). I have had both

So are you saying the 600 is as good as the 800 all round?
At the end of the day your going to get what you pay for .
You just have to decide if the extra $250 is worth the extra advanced settings..which will come in handy...and the wireless headphones..Either way you will have a awesome detector :Y: :D

"Bang for your buck"

I think the 600 is excellent value, multi mode is identical to the 800. Some settings are limited but not bad. Great detector if your not into bluetooth headphones

Nuggz said:
"Bang for your buck"

I think the 600 is excellent value, multi mode is identical to the 800. Some settings are limited but not bad. Great detector if your not into bluetooth headphones
You can pick up a 600 from Anaconda on eBay for just under $770 delivered. That's real good value. Bluetooth aptx low latency headphones can be picked up for $90 if you want to be wireless or if you already have a Pro Sonic or similar your set.
The Equinox 600 can be set up to run very similar to the 800 in Multi (gold modes).
Put the 600 in Field 2 Multi
Adjust the discrimination to reject -9 to -3 & accept -2 to 40 (Some small gold will register -2 to 0) or run in All Metal if the ground allows
Use ground balance tracking on
Recovery speed 3 normal ground - 2 difficult ground
Iron bias 3
Threshold to suit (800 gold mode preset 12)
:Y:
Edit: p.s. the weighting of multi is different for the different modes.
Multi in field 2 may not be weighted quite as sensitive as the gold modes - not sure? It is weighted to be a sensitive mode though & was the platform for the Equinox 800 being changed to allow Multi in the gold modes rather than just selectable 20 or 40khz originally.
Should be even better with 6" coil.

I wasn't going to use my 600 for prospecting but tested a .13g piece in the back yard and it hit it at 2" in Field 2 Multi which surprised me so the 6" coil is on the list now.
Thanks for the above settings mbasko :Y:

I ordered the 6" coil tonight so will try and get some hours with it on the 600 over the next couple of weeks in Vic GT, might see if I can get a video together doing some testing if time permits too.

I really like the wireless headphones on the 800, when used with the chord they are a right pain and get tangled and knelt on frequently.

Sorta just looking right now. My offsider just bought himself the 800 and loves it. I been killing him with the Deus every where we hunt. That may change on the beach scene though and I can't let that happen ;)

Ive had my 800 only 6 weeks. So far only used it on the beach.I find the headphones lock out the sound of the surf & makes it easer to heat the signals. Bazz.

Hi all. I'm about to purchase my first detector. I've researched a lot and I am looking at the Equinox 600 and 800. My main use will be treasure and relic but I would like to go to Central Vic every now and then and look for gold.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone regarding what I see as the main differences are and if that $325 will be well spent or whether an alternative coil might be a better option for the 600

The main differences I can see are two additional operating frequencies. 20 and 40 kHz. I understand that the higher the frequency, the better it is for gold detection but I'm wondering if the 15 kHz range of the 600 with a half decent coil could offset the 800's increased frequency range ?

Everything else seems to be the same.

Ive included a poll for your viewing pleasure and if you have suggestions for a coil if you think that's the way I should go with a 600 love to hear your thoughts

Muchas gracias

The 800 wireless headphones are brilliant I reckon.
Just stick with the minelab coils in multi, pretty sure theres no aftermarket ones anyway.
Better to have the extras 800 offers and not need them then to not have them if the little extra outlay isn't an issue

Thankyou for your replies. Looks like the 800 then.
As luck would have it I have just returned from my daughter's basketball match and got talking to a fella next to me who has just returned from 3 weeks in WA detecting! Said he has also heard so many good things about the 800

Hi mate I own a nox 800 and it's the best detector I've ever had (for my tiny budget) good luck out there :Y:

if your interested make me a good offer and I may sell my 800 to you. Its been used maybe 1/2 a dozen times, I've also a 4500 which I tend to use mostly hence the likelihood I would sell

Latest posts