Re-Circulating Sluice NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there's no legislation saying a self contained sluice can't be used then I reckon your right to go :Y: even a self contained high banker would be a goer in my opinion but I'm not up to speed with NSW regs. At the end of the day if it's self contained I'd say put it to work and ask questions to anyone who questions you. It's a bloody pain to have to micro manage a simple hobby for regulation. We all know any bureaucrat we ask each one will give a different perspective according to their comprehension of the legislation ]:D Often so vague you'll receive an intelligent intellectual duck shove and they go home content they've done a good day's work :8

Yes 'technically' they are a 'No no'.... I really don't see an issue with a small set-up, if you bring in your own water and use Solar to power a Bilge pump... But the Powers to be think otherwise... :rolleyes:
I feel They don't enforce the laws enough in NSW IMO, as you can still find Dredgers working in areas in full view to those who know where to look. And Excavators working in Other areas digging massive holes at night and not back filling.. These are the ones they should be hammering... :mad:

LW....

Sparra said:
Thanks for the reply's...According to the link from LW they seem to be a no go...

Cheers...

Does the law state that sluicing onsite isnt allowed, so why not just bring the material back with you and high-bank or sluice at home.
or is there a minimum of material allowed to be removed from the site as well?

Crazyjestor said:
Sparra said:
Thanks for the reply's...According to the link from LW they seem to be a no go...

Cheers...

Does the law state that sluicing onsite isnt allowed, so why not just bring the material back with you and high-bank or sluice at home.
or is there a minimum of material allowed to be removed from the site as well?

Yes there is a law on how much you can remove from a river per day - amount might vary from state to state though.

Power-operated equipment cannot be used on land or in waters for surface disturbance, excavation or
processing. Power operated equipment includes mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, battery and
electrical equipment or machinery.

Does not say specifically about onsite sluicing but the way I read it is that no Power operated equipment can be used for processing any where although I think you would be pretty unlucky to be busted at home using a recirculating sluice..

RM Outback said:
Leafs said:
May I use one in Victoria ?

Sure can but just like every other prospecting activity make sure you keep the location clean (as you found it or as close to) before you leave.

they always have a catchall.....

Not sure about VIc but in NSW - "You should avoid disturbing mud, clay or fine silt that causes significant turbidity in a waterway, as this could lead to a breach of the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997." :(

it may be the fact that some who use these dig everything , leave big holes , generally environmental vandalism, that got them banned , not everyone does the right thing

Latest posts