Banz Detector Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The final day detecting and I went up to the surf beach. I concentrated on walkways and areas around benches and paths and had a bit of luck with coins and a ring. Therusty/sandy thing on the right of picture is a Lee Cooper jeans tag!

1555912424_599d610c-7429-4a6d-87b6-18634eca80a9.jpg

Didnt know what to make of the ring at the time but closer inspection at home revealed a 925 mark on it.

1555912505_48f9cc5e-6d2b-4fa7-a280-c79a33d59228.jpg

I might post the ring up individually for advice.

Totals for the trip were...

$25 in notes
$19.90 in coins
A 1947 half penny
A sterling silver rings
Heaps of sinkers, bottle caps, ringpulls and junk

Plus a huge amount of fun and entertainment!

Awesome finds there Banz
Well done ..it can become very addictive and not just for the spendable 1&2 coins but also for the pre decimals jewlery and the intersting artifacs that some times apear out of the ground..
keep the pics and posts coming :Y:

Doing well on the notes and spendables, beach detecting is always good fun, especially when people leave something behind to keep you busy. :D

I havent had the detector out much since Tallebudgera and when I did, at the nearby beach and playgrounds, I didnt find anything of note.

Last weekend there was a touch footy comp on at the local fields. This, coupled with the wet weather, had me itching to get out there. I had the boys with me so it was a battle to focus but amazingly I found my first gold!

1562794739_df8435a0-5bae-46c9-99dd-0ff84155bad0.jpg

Its marked 9ct but no idea what the stone is or if the black is plastic or onyx but still excited anyway!

Ill probably take it to Cashies to see what they think but happy just to hold on to it for now.

Wally69 said:
:cool: I would say it is 9ct gold with onyx and diamond, I have an exact matching ring

Oh cool!

Any idea what it might be worth? Im not a ring person so its not really any use to me other than being a cool find...

I haven't gone out specifically much recently but still managed a couple of interesting things in familiar places.

1572231642_hatbadge_crop.jpg

AWM said:
This is a hat badge from the Australian Instructional Corps. I sent a pic to the Australian War Memorial and they sent this back:

Thank you for your enquiry to the Research Centre of the Australian War Memorial.

I forwarded it to the curators of our Military Heraldry section, who manage our collection of military badges. They have supplied the following information about the badge:

"The badge is an officers badge for the Australian Instructional Corps and dates from the 1930-1942. The finish was originally gilded brass with red and blue enamel. Hat badges were 45mm wide and collar badges 28mm".

For reference this is what it would look like if it were in better condition. You can see traces of red and blue in mine but only traces.

1572232299_pict0031.jpg

I would love to have a stab at working out who owned it which I reckon might be possible by cross-referencing a list of people who have lived at our place with members of the AIC but I don't have either of those lists at the moment!

The bullet-shaped object was found in the chipbark at the local playground.

1572232111_bullet.jpg

A mate reckons it is not a fireable bullet but rather a fake one of some sort. I am not a firearms expert so not sure I got all of what he was saying.

Nice find Banz, any Rising Sun is a bucket list item for many. The cartridge doesn't look to have a primer in item, maybe it was off a necklace or something. :D

Thanks Goldpick.

I meant to say that the badge came from our back yard, the last unexplored area up behind a retaining wall. I was not expecting anything but that can be when you get lucky!

There was a kind of belt buckle type thing near it which I will photograph and post up here. No idea if it is military but Im sure the boffins on here will have an idea.

Im actually staggered how much as come out of our suburban back yard but I think now it has given up all its treasure. Its a shame as its an easy spot to scan but I have been really lucky with my finds.

Banz said:
I haven't gone out specifically much recently but still managed a couple of interesting things in familiar places.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/14450/1572231642_hatbadge_crop.jpg

AWM said:
This is a hat badge from the Australian Instructional Corps. I sent a pic to the Australian War Memorial and they sent this back:

Thank you for your enquiry to the Research Centre of the Australian War Memorial.

I forwarded it to the curators of our Military Heraldry section, who manage our collection of military badges. They have supplied the following information about the badge:

"The badge is an officers badge for the Australian Instructional Corps and dates from the 1930-1942. The finish was originally gilded brass with red and blue enamel. Hat badges were 45mm wide and collar badges 28mm".

For reference this is what it would look like if it were in better condition. You can see traces of red and blue in mine but only traces.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/14450/1572232299_pict0031.jpg

I would love to have a stab at working out who owned it which I reckon might be possible by cross-referencing a list of people who have lived at our place with members of the AIC but I don't have either of those lists at the moment!

The bullet-shaped object was found in the chipbark at the local playground.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/14450/1572232111_bullet.jpg

A mate reckons it is not a fireable bullet but rather a fake one of some sort. I am not a firearms expert so not sure I got all of what he was saying.

Nice finds, Banz.

Try this website and type in the surname you are looking for and hit Search. Then when the list of names comes up, use the Search filter on the right to type in the town or suburb so you can narrow down the results . I did this when i found my rising sun on our family property and discovered relatives i knew ,but didn`t know that they served in WW2 and other relatives i didn`t know of that lived in the same town and served in WW2 .

http://nominal-rolls.dva.gov.au/

Hope this helps.

FOZ

Looks like a buckle off an old fashioned waistcoat belt like the ones those blokes wore in the movie Arthur .

Well, it seemed a bit senseless at the time but I decided to have another go around the yard. I found a 2c and NZ 1c in the front yard which made the effort worthwhile. I decided to finish with a swing down the side of the house where I found the shilling, more because it was shaded and still soft from the rain than from any great expectations.

I got a very thin beep which I almost didnt dig as it felt like the detector was trying to discriminate out. When I finally found the target after a few misses I immediately felt it was not a 1c as I had the NZ one for recent reference. A quick rinse in water later and I found I had dug this 1951 Threepence!

1572769897_ca62612d-bf1e-4e19-9d25-f0f2f83adbda.jpg
1572769915_05d30d78-33e8-43f1-a196-ad681880079e.jpg

So thrilled and cant help feel it is linked to the shilling. If memory serves it was very close to where the shilling was so every chance I didnt check the hole first time around. Maybe an old coin spill??!?

The threepence may have been sitting on edge which may explain the dodgy response, how much discrimination are you using?

Goldpick said:
The threepence may have been sitting on edge which may explain the dodgy response, how much discrimination are you using?

I have a $50 Kogan special which I have set with the discrimination at about 11 oclock. It seems to pick up coins pretty well and also found that gold ring (see up thread) under the turf. I havent really tried it with different discrimination.

Is it worth going round the yard again with different discrimination?

I guess 2020 was a bit of a perfect storm for me when it came to detecting, or rather, not detecting. Covid blew away all the camping holiday destinations that are normally a happy hunting ground and my el cheapo Kogan gave up the ghost around September when things started opening up a bit more for us. I'd missed the detector a bit I guess but there's only so many times I can go round the back yard!

It was going camping to Inskip in October without a coil that really had me twitching so I asked Santa to check his list and see what he could do. Nothing in the stocking but a certain dollar amount set aside so in early January I went and bought myself a new toy.

Can I ask that this thread not become a brand/model advocacy thing as I have made that thread here:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=595831

I actually found a few things in the yard which I will post up here over the weekend.

These are the three decent things I have found from the latest go around the back yard, this time in areas near fences and with much higher sensitivity.

1613719172_3_finds.jpg

This was the first of the batch, which I have researched and found to be a 1927 Florin that has been cut out to make into a badge. No idea when this would have happened obviously but a shame it wasn't intact but pretty fascinating in my opinion.

https://www.allcoinvalues.com/austr...se-commemorative-australian-florin-value.html

1613719171_florin.jpg

Second was this 1958 sixpence right in the middle of the yard. Like the dodgy sounding I got from the threepence, this was a funny and hard to locate bleep that I almost didn't keep digging.
1613719654_sixpence.jpg

Finally, this was by the side of the house. I thought it was junk until I cleaned it up but shocked to see it was a badge. Haven't been able to get a handle on what it is though. Is it military? It's not a rising sun so any tips from the forum would be much appreciated.
1613719171_badge_close_up.jpg

The florin is a cool find, some sort of trench art I guess, am guessing the second item was some sort of commemorative medallion, looks to have previously been enameled as well. :Y: