Hepburn Springs

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there,

Im wondering if anyone can help. My seven year old son is very keen to look for gemstones on our trip to Daylesford next weekend. I know it will be very hard to find anything and anything we do find will be very very small and Im somewhat concerned about snakes at this time of year. So Ive managed his expectations!

We have been to sovereign hill and he enjoyed that but is more interested in getting out into nature. Ive told him it might not work on this trip but Im wondering if anyone can suggest somewhere around the area that could work and what gear we should take. I think he would be happy just to find some interesting rocks!

Many thanks!

Hi Sarah23 and welcome to PA.

You could try Sailor's Creek. There's a picnic area there. You might find some small zircons around there.

Make sure you have a Miner's Right if you're prospecting/fossicking in Victoria.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Megsy

Thanks Megsy!

Yep got the miners right. Thanks for your suggestion, will give it a try!

Sarah

Hi Sarah,
Midland Hwy heading towards Ballarat right turn as you go down the hill on the way out of Daylesford just before the first bridge takes you to the picnic ground sailors creek after where Stoney Creek joins in. Fossicking is allowed Zircons and Garnets maybe a speck of gold. Good luck
Cheers db

Hi Sarah , Im from glenlyon only a few mins out of daylesford next time yous are down would be happy to lend my little river sluice and pans to help out or show use where to go thanks

Latest posts