Dont die in the Outback

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LoneWolf said:
Also NEVER leave your Vehicle.... As that is exactly what will happen... Lucky She was found... :(

LW....

Yeah I find it hard to believe these days at their age I'd be certain they've read it, heard it and seen it on the news. It's an unfortunate sad ending for this bloke and his grieving family and friends :flowers: but at the same time so easily avoidable 8.(

Not good, and unless a miracle happens it will be a sad outcome. But I got to say what a kazoo! Who goes hiking in that area in that heat with limited water?
Every year it happens and no doubt he won't be the last this spring/summer season.

For some reason we get a lot of Europeans come over in our hottest months. Fins, Germans, Swiss, Norwegians, Danes....
Some of these people come from -20 and lower straight into 40+.

crazy hey! ok, Europe has had some heatwaves (equiv to a sunny WA summer day :sunny: :playful:), but Its the equivalent of us going to the European Alps in their winter, thinking we will chew on ice for water .
"no probs mum, dont worry, it was cold here last winter, i know how to handle it" :awful: :skull:
Makes me want to go out there & find these idiots (hopefully alive) & turkey slap them for being a D"""H"""

YEP, a lot of us might like some solitude & our own company occassionally, & being a fit experienced hiker is one thing, BUT, you also need bush survival skills in good measure if you're going it alone on a few day trek into isloated or remote areas, and of course to be properly equipped with food, water, 1st aid kit, etc, & a PLB should be considered an essential part of the kit.

We get a few European staying in my building on the GC, I sometimes get the chance to talk with them about their plans and it astounds me how little research they have done, they rarely have a clue about Australian distances and conditions.

Had a couple of youngsters recently planning on an 'Eastern Circle' trip in a $5k van (not 4x4) :( Goldy to the Cape, the down to Mt Isa, Uluru, Adelaide, Melbourne and finishing in Sydney! No reality that Gold Coast to the Cape is like half way across Europe, or how inhospitable the country is, no idea of water consumption and that it can be hard to find in the outback, likewise fuel! They ask me about Lizzy my 6x6 and are staggered that I carry 70l of water and 350l of diesel as a basic and work on the 1/3rds rule for every trip.

I don't hear how they went as the GC is never their return destination. :(

Did a trip as a Cameraman around 10 yrs ago with a crew, Goldy to Mt Isa, across to Townsville and back down the coast. 5 vehicles and part way in before we got to Dalby the van ran out of fuel, I didn't know it ran on LPG and wasn't dual fuel :eek: Low and behold, no tow rope so they tried using an extension cord :rolleyes:

Around an hour later they hadn't showed so I backtracked, cord had snapped and they were out of ideas :clap: Much to their astonishment I headed into the scrub, with echoes of where the *^!#* are you going! Soon found some old #8 and the 150km tow was under way, you guessed it, all City slickers :mad: :mad: :mad:

Cappuccinos set shouldn't go bush!!

Ive lost count of the number of times I have stopped to help people, not only tourists, but sometimes our own city slickers!, who cant understand or read a map properly , especially the scale. Seems a lot of people envisage 100km on a map as being about 10km on the road :awful:
this includes understanding a distance on a gps map!!!