Running dirt from Hydraulic sluicing sites

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Im new around here are fairly new to chasing gold generally. I've been enjoying getting out into the bush and exploring old workings around creswick / slatey creek with the kids over the last couple of years.

I have recently been exploring the old hydraulic sluicing sites and seeing the massive volume of dirt these oporations must have moved back in the day!

It got me thinking, while a long way from most of the creeks, is it worth screening dirt from the bottom of these pits to then run through a pan or sluice at a differnet location? I get that this would be quite a bit of work but was wondering if there was that much fine gold to be found that the dectorists and oldtimers missed and or had washed out of the cut face walls since....

Is it worth me even sampling the area? Waste of time? Of course im really only in it for the fun of it but getting some colour in the pan always makes the day a little more enjoyable.

Cheers.

Welcome 4040. Yes it is worth sampling these spots as people are still doing that today and with a bit of research and planning you can be lucky.

I imagine that there is a point in the works where the ground still held gold but not at the rates of the main cut or not at rates that it was worth running via the hydraulic sluicing. Im guessing water had its cost in these locations and couldnt be simply used on any old gold bearing dirt. Im guessing they washed dirt with the higher yeilds down to a point where it became un-ecconomical... Is that a fairly true assumption?

hopefully i can find some areas where it was just below their oporating costs and there is still some good fine gold for the hobbiest.

Gidday ,4040 . I just checked the heritage register and , if it is the same one i think it is , it is registered as of archaelogical significance . Have a check for yourself before you do anything there .I think it a no go area for you ! Just trying to look after you . Foz

If you turn into slatey creek road from the Creswick side just near St. Georges and head into the old sluicing area where the dam is... the driveway leading up into that area you can get gold just from the drainage and run off areas each side of the road. You can still find good wash there even.
I thought it was only humbug hill which was restricted but I could be wrong.
Theres still a truck load of old conglomerate there which holds good gold as well. Hard as rock to bust up to. Good luck finding water tho.

theres nothing on humbug hill you could be bothered processing anyway. No water, bad access and youd prob break your leg carrying buckets of really low pay.
the sites cool to walk around and see the massive pebble dumbs and old races and thats bout it.
Well, they aint really pebbles, some are the size of soccer balls.
The area Im referring to isnt listed on the register.

Latest posts