Gpx Battery Reset

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted before or if it is general knowledge but its something I wasnt aware of and might help others . On a recent trip to the GT My Gpx 4500 decided to stop working , was working fine lent it against the car switched to the sdc for a bit then went back to the Gpx 30 min later and nothing :awful: . Wouldnt turn back on , all I did was try to change a coil , strange ??? Tried a mates battery still nothing ??? So off to Coiltek to get it checked out , tried a battery there still nothing so must have a fault. Still under warranty so off to minelab it gos. Back at camp and we realized it had blown my mates battery :awful: , rang Coiltek they said it had blown thier battery also . so Im assuming it had blown mine to . Easy fix Coiltek assured me you can reset the Gpx battery by just plugging it in to the charger the indicator light blinks orange , green and the battery has reset , and will take a charge and work again . :D Was happy to hear this at least I dont have to worry about the battery or replacing my mates battery, still dont know
what caused it , must be a short somewhere . Glad its still under warranty and should be back early next week all going well . . thanks gos to guys at Coiltek who have been very helpful :D

That's interesting Booney. It sounds like there might be a circuit breaker in the battery ... who woulda thought eh? But I guess it makes sense cause you wouldn't want a thermal runaway in case of an overload, particularly with a lithium battery.

Something drawing too much current in the detector will cause the battery protection to trip.
The other thing I have seen cause this was a bad solder connection in the power lead plug.

Cheers Mick

It was instantaneous soon as it was plugged in and or the switch turned on , the circuit protection cut out ,3 separate batterys 3 different battery cables , no power at all to display , no audio . Id say dead short on power plug or switch inside head unit ,which had been a tad loose . But Ill leave it to the experts . Minelab were very clever to put in an auto reset circuit protection device in the batterys, glad they did . Hopefully it tripped out before any damage was done to the circuitry. :Y:
Cheers Booney.

That's the point of the battery protection circuit, to shut off the battery for over voltage, under voltage and over current.

In the past I have repaired a few detectors that had a home made lithium battery hooked up, reverse polarity! There was no protection of any kind on the battery, not even a fuse! And the damage, whilst still repairable, it was no normal repair!

All of the battery systems I build also have built in protection to the battery packs for over voltage, under voltage, over current and charge temperature.
And their built in chargers are protected for over voltage, under voltage and reverse polarity. Nobody wants to go home from the goldfields because they accidentally did something silly!

Cheers Mick

AuMan said:
That's the point of the battery protection circuit, to shut off the battery for over voltage, under voltage and over current.

In the past I have repaired a few detectors that had a home made lithium battery hooked up, reverse polarity! There was no protection of any kind on the battery, not even a fuse! And the damage, whilst still repairable, it was no normal repair!

All of the battery systems I build also have built in protection to the battery packs for over voltage, under voltage, over current and charge temperature.
And their built in chargers are protected for over voltage, under voltage and reverse polarity. Nobody wants to go home from the goldfields because they accidentally did something silly!

Cheers Mick

If you have any issues with your batteries or any detector related issues give Mick a call or jump into his website at the bottom of his post

http://www.detectronicsaustralia.com/

Yes am aware of this but gpx was switched off at the time of the coil change , as witnessed by others, should be able to change coils with unit off right ? . Also changed back to original coil before second battery and then third batterys were tried . Agreed I also have not heard of this happening on a gpx , hence the post . but as a Sparky I have an understanding of what a short circuit is and the results of this occurring. At first glance looks like a short but the mystery remains . Will be interesting to hear what Minelab find when repairing .
Cheers Booney.

Latest posts